Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A Latin word that means to sigh or draw a deep breath, that also suggests longing, desire, yearning, and a passionate wish. Ylang ylang with white plum, white orchid, jasmine, calla lily and lily of the valley.

it's sort of cool and clean while still being fairly warm. It reminds me of spring. :P

I thought I would really dislike it when I first put this on, because it reeked (I'm sorry, but it was overwhelming and I just don't like jasmine) of jasmine. However, that was just the initial stage, and after it dried, it smelled like a lovely bouquet of lilies and other assorted flowers. Suspiro's a soft scent and smells like a not-artificial scent (I just mean that some floral scents smell like they don't come directly from nature, if that makes sense--or scents--AHAHA!). Some "natural" florals smell like they're wafting in the breeze (cleaner) or freshly plucked (stronger, truer to the floral) or in a freshly plucked bouquet (varying florals). This smells like flowers on a vine (let's pretend they grown on a vine) hanging from a tree, waving in the wind. Suspiro is like a memory--if you don't pay too much attention, you'll forget about it, but it'll still be in the back of your mind, comforting you. I really like soft scents, but florals are not for me and this doesn't have enough oomph, so lovely as this is, I'll probably pass this up.

The description for this knocked me dead, and after snatching up an imp at the first opportunity and waiting eagerly for it to get here, I feel oddly disappointed, but I can't put my finger on why.

In bottle: Nummy. Lilies, orchid, a bit of plum and ylang ylang teasing at the edges... exactly what I was hoping for.

Just applied: Where did the plum and ylang ylang go? This is a straight-up lily/orchid duet now. I love both notes, but without the others, this seems really one-dimensional.

Drying down: Still the same prim floral, and the jasmine is nowhere to be found to sexify it. (Yes, "sexify" is a word now. Hush.) I think I catch a whiff of plum, but it keeps disappearing.

Dry: This smells way too innocent compared to what I was expecting. The name made me expect the fragrance equivalent of holding your breath in lust and anticipation, but what I'm smelling makes me think more of the wistful sigh of some repressed Victorian lady falling back onto her fainting couch because her damn corset is too tight.

But wait! Later: After riding my bike here with my gloves on, my wrist smells delicious, way closer to what I wanted. The plum and ylang ylang are back, and this is way closer to the softly seductive perfume I was thinking of. I think maybe this is a fragrance that needs some body heat to work right on me, so I'll conduct further testing to see if it'll work out in the end, because I want to believe that this won't disappoint.

Verdict: Uncertain as of now, but hopeful that this'll be another favorite.

edit: Yup, it's gorgeous, and works better on me every time. :P

Edited by cantabile

In the bottle: Mmm, this is nice. I can definitely smell the jasmine and lily in here.

Applied: There it is—soap. Normally when I smell soap, it’s sweet pea, but I think it must be jasmine here instead. There is also some note in this that I can’t quite identify but that smells a little rank to me. I have no idea what it is—it must be either one of the lilies or the plum, but I don’t know. This is where a collection of SNs would really come in handy.

There’s something about this that is just a little bit sickly to me—it’s a wash-off, unfortunately. Too bad, because the initial sniff was so nice. I have a hunch that it may just be one particular component not wearing well on my skin, though, so I won’t give it the automatic “1” that I usually issue only to wash-off scents.

On a scale of 1 to 5: 2

On first application, this is all ylang ylang, with the faintest hint of jasmine. Soon enough, the orchid begins to come out as well, but the ylang ylang stays very strong. This is a smooth and creamy white floral.

After a while, the plum arrives, adding a lovely sweet note to the blend, and the other floral notes are evident in the background. It stays strong for quite a while, then fades to a lovely, sweet floral blend. This is beautiful.

Suspiro

In the bottle: Overwhelmingly white floral, with a slightly unpleasant background note. :D

On me/wet: Jasmine is the first thing to jump out at me. This is definitely in the "white floral" category at this moment - nothing else seems to be jumping into the mix.

Drydown: It mellows out, becoming a not so "in your face" white floral. For those that like them, it's even kind of pretty. :P

However, I'm realizing more and more than these aren't my kind of scents. Off to swaps, my pretty!

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Apparently jasmine is my friend!

Gorgeous. Like a lighter Morgause (a favourite) this is a round and curvaceous jasmine floral, skin-scented and lovely.

I don't get the individual flowers, but the jasmine is noticable.

very pretty and feminine! it smells.. pink. heh it reminds me a lot of my Ylang ylang and Myrrh aromatherapy stuff from Bath & Body Works.

Jasmine and lily- lovely! I didn't think I'd like this, but it caught my attention and got me hooked. It is powdery and clean. I will use Suspiro for those times when I want to wear something lighter than usual. It's soft and unassuming and sure to be reached for again and again.

at first: ylang ylang, jasmine, and lily.

on: a fresh floral. very pretty. slightly sweet, but not heavy.

1.5 hours later: sweet and a bit soapy. i think this is making my nose a little itchy.

2.5 hours later: sweet and generally floral.

3.5 hours later: sweet. an almost fruity floral.

overall: i think that this is really pretty, but it just didn't blow me away.

This is gender neutral?? It's a very sweet floral on me. I couldn't imagine a guy wearing it.

Soft, pretty white florals. I don't smell any jasmine, which is a shame because I love jasmine. Overall, too feminine for me.

I was surprized that this was listed as "gender nuetral". It's a very beautiful white floral. Jasmine and lily of the valley stand out the most on my skin, and are grounded somewhat by the ylang ylang. Very feminine and Victorian-ish.

This was overwhelmingly floral on me. I'd agree it's a white floral blend; on me, the emphasis was on "overwhelming". I could see this on someone whose skin chemistry agrees with most BPAL florals; that said, I'm not one of them--the only BPAL floral I've found pleasing has been Snow White (and I'm not certain you can actually classify that one as a floral, you know?)--otherwise, I do better with foody (Midway but not Sugar Skull or Gluttony) or fruity (Katharina or March Hare but not Swank, for instance) scents.

Suspiro was one of the very first BPAL scents that went on my [very long] list of things to try. There were four blends that I starred on that list--they were my Desperate list contenders, the ones I thought I'd die before I got to try them. Suspiro was one of them. I just thought it would be so perfect for me--I'm very much the wistful, slightly melancholy, dreamy sort. And the notes are all ones I LOVE...especially all the lilies.

When Suspiro arrived, I was so excited about it I almost didn't want to open the imp. But when I did, I was so happy.

In the bottle, all I smelled was that musky, slightly cloying, creamy smell of jasmine and calla lily.

Wet on--lily and jasmine are the stars of the show. Calla lily, I think, more than the lily-of-the-valley. It smells somewhat dark and moody...it is a soft and dreamy fragrance, but in a heavy somber kind of way.

Drying--oh, how lovely. The cloying jasmine has settled down, and that beautiful sweet plum has taken over, swirling with the lily-of-the-valley. It is fruity, but in a subtle way. Oh, this is beautiful. Sweet, fruity-floral, and, while it doesn't have as much lasting power as Scherezade does (another of my original Big Four) ...it doesn't require marinating in it to get it to last all day.

I write this review with the 10ml bottle in front of me for reference purposes. :P

Oooh, yes. This is the kind of floral I like: bright, sunny and sweet. Overall there is impression of summery flowers, but it faded very quickly. I think this seemed similar to Eos, so I will have to compare the two at some point. Very nice.

A delightful mix of florals, not sticky sweet or harsh, but a lovely soft blend. The ylang ylang is most detectable, but the other flowers are there as well. This is exactly my sort of floral scent. Win!

"Ylang ylang, I thought that Skuld was the only exception to me hating your guts!"

How is this blend so deliciously creamy? I would never have thought so from the description. Is that the lily and orchid combo? Jasmine is there, being a bit of her sour self, but the delicate OMG white floral dominates. I am not going to get a big bottle or anything (my loves in this category are Skuld and Sacred Whore), but if you are looking for something lighter and slightly less sweet or spicy than my 2 faves in parenthesis there, than go for Suspiro.

First sniff: Floral-fruity, but with an oddness underneath. The jasmine is very much in the forefront… I hope it doesn’t dominate the whole time.

Wearing: Yeah, it’s jasminey. And fades very quickly. I enjoyed this one when I sniffed it at coulrophobe’s, but it isn’t impressing me this time around.

:the curse of the jasmine:

suspiro had the potential of being a lovely scent, and it actually IS lovely... but it is really completely JASMINE on me. Jasmine is my friend and enemy. I like it. But I must have 20 BPAls that only smell like jasmine on me now. Jasmine is just in love with my skin!

*ah well*

A gimp from The Perfumed Ferret!

This is as light and fleeting as a sigh. As per usual with any blend containing jasmine, my skin throws JASMINE! back at me with great force at first, but then the blend calms down to a very subtle, cool and creamy floral. I'm not picking up much plum at all, though maybe it and the ylang-ylang combined to give the general impression of gentle sweetness.

I did back off when I got the first hit of jasmine in the bottle, so my hand might have been too light on application. This one was swallowed up by my skin fairly quickly. I'll need to test again for nuances, probably slathering heavily next time.

In the bottle: I get slightly bitter, woody plum.

Wet: Wet plum and lily of the valley.

Drydown: It becomes very faint, I can still smell a bit of plum and some lily of the valley, with a bit of powdery jasmine over it. It goes a bit soapy and sour as the plum dries down.

Overall: An extremely faint breath of a scent, quite true to its name. I find that the jasmine is stronger than any of the rest, I tend to amp it, and apparently the plum goes wrong on me. I get some lily of the valley too, but it tends to smell like handsoap. Pretty, but nothing special to me.

straight sniff from imp is purely jasmine and ylang-ylang... :D

applied this is just dreadful...pure, thick jasmine mixed with other heavy florals.

not for me in the least :P

Suspiro - Jasmine. I really can’t say anything else because the @#)(*%&@# jasmine overpowers all the other scents. Just like all my other jasmine scents, into the swap pile this goes.

This so does not work on me. Somehow even with lovely plum and orchid, my skin turns this into cheap scented soap. I think the culprits are the jasmine and the calla lily.

Thanks to the lovely Urraca for this imp.

Bottle: orchid and plum and lily, oh my!

Wet: lots of lily and orchid. very light, pale.

Dry: now jasmine, and ylang ylang and lily often amp on me, and amp in really foul ways...but so far not a hint of the first two, and the lily is, while very present, not taking over. very pretty!

Later: the lily has surpassed the orchid, amped slightly, but it's not gone the sickly sweet-sour it can and oft does, so I'm a happy girl!