Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

I second the recommendations for Queen of Sheba and Seraglio and would add Voodoo. They are all very complex and evolving, with Voodoo being the most complex. Voodoo also has that slight touch of patchouli you might like since you like Samhain (I love it too :D ). But if you are a member of Penance's AAL (Anti-almond League), ignore this post :P .

I know it gets talked about alot, but I think Snake Oil, especially if you age it, will fit your specifications. It's a complex and gorgeous scent, and it's got a slight foody element, but it's also spicy and grown-up.

I second the recommendations for Queen of Sheba and Seraglio and would add Voodoo.  They are all very complex and evolving, with Voodoo being the most complex.  Voodoo also has that slight touch of patchouli you might like since you like Samhain (I love it too :D ).  But if you are a member of Penance's AAL (Anti-almond League), ignore this post :D .

I'm very intrigued by Voodoo, but I keep forgetting about it. I think I'll have to add it to my wishlist :P

Yes! I agree with ChupaChup - try Voodoo!

It is definitely complex and changeable. At various points of the day the emphasis on one aspect or another may shift, but it's usually most prominently featuring a blend of lime and cloves, with some vanilla and almond, on top of a bit of an incensy/smoky base lurking in the background. It's very unique.

(Okay, I'm done stumping for this scent for today-it's a current obsession.)

I've just tried Chaste Moon, and it definately fits the bill :P It's sweet and creamy, but the tiny, delicate flowers prevent it from smelling like dessert :D It's a non-pure-rose floral I can *wear*, which is just amazing.

I've got an SO who has severe allergies: most scents grant him a whopping headache. The only ones that don't are the ones that he associates with food, and the only note he likes is certain vanilla tones--I use Warm Vanilla Sugar products from Bath and Body Works, and he likes that.

So far, Dana O'Shee has been his favorite BPAL. Sudha Segara he can tolerate, and White Rabbit smells about the same as Sudha Segara to him. He didn't much like Chimera or Dragon's Milk. Gluttony and Black Pearl were dismal failures for him.

Alice, Bastet, Black Phoenix, Blood Lotus, Catherine, Delphi, Dorian, Intrigue, Jolly Roger, March Hare, Severin, Snake Oil, and Succubus I didn't even try to run past him because I pretty well knew they'd give him a headache because of their other notes. Which is too bad, because he loves real tea, but tea notes I just don't think would jive well with him. Citrus and berries seem right out: for him, I'd tend toward milk, sugar, and vanilla--possibly almond, as well.

As for me, I love Dragon's Milk, Bastet, Black Phoenix, O, Kali, Morocco, Skuld, and Blood Amber. I think I'd love Snake Oil if it were sweeter/more vanilla-y. I'm trying to age my imp presently. I've got Tombstone and Vice, but haven't tried them yet (as well as lots of others I've tried/bought/swapped for, but don't at all fall into the foody/gourmand category).

I have yet to find one we both love: I like Dana O'Shee, but not enough to wear it all the time I'm around him. In fact, until I found out he liked it, I was going to swap it, since it's a bit too sweet for my tastes. But that may just be his tastes, and I may well just have to deal. :P Ideally, I'd love recommendations we'd both like, but I'll certainly take any just for his nose, or just for mine. :D What am I missing here?

Tamora dries down as a very yummy vanilla with touches of peach :P Also, if you manage to get your hands on Antique Lace, it's a very soft, snuggly, non-foody vanilla. I'd also try Chaste Moon, which isn't foody but the sweet cream is definately evident in it. And Snow White, another LE...

When I saw warm vanilla sugar I thought "snake oil"...I'm assuming he can't stand incense? Fresh snake oil is much heavier on the vanilla and lighter on the incense...

How about Shanghai? It's a gorgeous aquatic tea, like...sweet, fresh water, to my nose, if that makes any sense ^^; It's also very gentle, not sharp like White Rabbit, so he might like that :D

I would also recommend you try Zephyr, which is rather lovely, and more gentle and vanilla than you might expect.

This other scents that you didn't try...did you actually obtain them and smell them, or are you predicting his reaction purely on the description?

Tamora dries down as a very yummy vanilla with touches of peach  :P  Also, if you manage to get your hands on Antique Lace, it's a very soft, snuggly, non-foody vanilla.  I'd also try Chaste Moon, which isn't foody but the sweet cream is definately evident in it.  And Snow White, another LE...

When I saw warm vanilla sugar I thought "snake oil"...I'm assuming he can't stand incense? Fresh snake oil is much heavier on the vanilla and lighter on the incense...

How about Shanghai? It's a gorgeous aquatic tea, like...sweet, fresh water, to my nose, if that makes any sense ^^; It's also very gentle, not sharp like White Rabbit, so he might like that  :D

I'm desperately trying to stay away from LEs, as they're so hard to get. Tamora looks like a not-bad bet, though. And Shangai too--perhaps (here's hoping) that it's the blackness of the tea that his nose can't deal with.

As for Snake Oil, I really doubt he could deal with the incense. On me, the lab-fresh imp I've got of Snake Oil turned weird. I'm going to try it again, if you guys think that freshest is the most vanilla stage of Snake Oil, but it was just oddly old-man on me. I wonder if that's a common problem. I really do wish it was as vanilla-wonderful as it seems to turn on others.

Thanks for the input!

I tried everything I listed there.  Some I loved, some I liked, and others I've already swapped away.

As for Zephyr, I'm afraid I was scared away by the lemon and florals in the description on that one--how did it turn out on you?  Thanks for the suggestion!

To me it's a gentle vanilla with a little lemon in the background, and dries to a sweet warm vanilla musk. It reminds me a little of Dorian but without Dorian's sugary strength or tea notes.

Since you have Tombstone, do try it out. I've found that on me, Tombstone is everything that I wanted Snake Oil to be, but which, alas, it was not with my own skin chemistry. Who knows? Perhaps it will behave the same way with you.

My Snake Oil has gotten tons sweeter and more vanilla-y through age. *shrug* Everyone's skin chemistry is different.

Golden Priapus?

That's on my list to try. I wasn't sure, though, since it's supposed to be kind of masculine. Does it turn sweet vanilla on you?

Hmm. This one could either be successful or not, depending what your skin likes to amplify, but on me, Eclipse was quite sweet... it came out vanilla/almond/sweet cinnamon on me, with a little incense in the background just giving it some depth.

Golden Priapus is not too masculine on me, especially after it dries down. The vanilla really takes over and you can hardly smell the wood. It's the same vanilla as in Antique Lace, too, really snuggly.

Definitely try Desire. I can also heartily recommend Hetairae, it goes through a lot of stages and ends up very similar to both Desire and Samhain. Think Samhain without the pumpkin, Hetaire has just a little more tang in the drydown.

Golden Priapus was lots and lots of pine on me - barely any vanilla at all. Smelled like Christmas trees. Zephyr was really masculine and cologne-y on me - again, no vanilla.

Give Dorian a shot. It's sweet, sugary tea with vanilla. I agree with Antique Lace, if you can get any. I'm guessing fruity scents are out?

Regan also has vanilla as a prominent note, but the stepanotis went funky on me. Might smell nicer on you, though :P.

You're welcome :D . I thought of a couple more for you. Regan, although somewhat floral, is a beautiful vanilla, very unique. You have to try it to see what I mean, it's so hard to describe. Also, give Snow White a try if you can find a decant. It's very creamy and my absolute all-time BPAL favorite. I don't get many complements on other foody blends but that one seems to please my pickiest critics :P ! I sympathize with your plight, BTW, my boy is not too fond of many of my BPAL loves :D .

Golden Priapus?

That's on my list to try. I wasn't sure, though, since it's supposed to be kind of masculine. Does it turn sweet vanilla on you?

Not too masculine, but I just got my bottle and haven't worn it yet, only sniffed the bottle!

Have you tried Jack? Very foody and also sweet and spicy and creamy.

If you like Black Phoenix, try Hecate.

Golden Priapus was lots and lots of pine on me - barely any vanilla at all. Smelled like Christmas trees. Zephyr was really masculine and cologne-y on me - again, no vanilla.

Give Dorian a shot. It's sweet, sugary tea with vanilla. I agree with Antique Lace, if you can get any. I'm guessing fruity scents are out?

Regan also has vanilla as a prominent note, but the stepanotis went funky on me. Might smell nicer on you, though :D.

Hmm. That's not promising, but I'll end up trying them anyway.

Dorian I've tried, and got way, way too much citrus/tea from it, unfortunately.

Regan, though, might work out if the florals aren't too much.

Also, give Snow White a try if you can find a decant. It's very creamy and my absolute all-time BPAL favorite. I don't get many complements on other foody blends but that one seems to please my pickiest critics :D ! I sympathize with your plight, BTW, my boy is not too fond of many of my BPAL loves :P .

Ohh. I really wish that so many of the scents that it sounds like I'd love weren't LEs.

Have you tried Jack? Very foody and also sweet and spicy and creamy.

If you like Black Phoenix, try Hecate.

Oh, heck. I thought Jack was an LE. Another one I have to order now. :D

I've got Hecate, but I haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

golden priapus was quite tobacco-y to me.... :P

i got it for himself and never got as far as trying it on him because i knew he'd hate it. i wish the vanilla came out more on mine as he loves vanilla. mine was just pine and smoke :D

golden priapus was quite tobacco-y to me.... :P

i got it for himself and never got as far as trying it on him because i knew he'd hate it. i wish the vanilla came out more on mine as he loves vanilla. mine was just pine and smoke  :D

Hmm. I suspect it'll do the same to me. My skin amps up the incense/dark rather than the sweet and light, it seems. Wish me luck. :D

You can "stalk" my scent choices, if you like. I have my top ten and other good things listed in my signature.

And now, a list of foodiness:

Bliss

Gingerbread Poppet

Dana O'shee

Vice

Velvet

Hecate

Eclipse

Juke Joint

Chaste Moon

Dragon's Milk

Jack

Bon Vivant

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

March Hare

Jailbait

Wrath

Three Witches

Or...go to the advanced search engine and search for "oriental/gourmand/spicy" in the scent families list:

http://vanilla.spicybrains.org/index.php?adv=1

If you're looking for dessert-like foody smells, which I suspect you might be (as opposed to fruity food, or spicy food), my most foody would be:

Bliss

Dana O'shee

Gingerbread Poppet

Jack