Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

I second Kali--it's similar to Dia de los Muertos, but more floral and less "sharp" to me.

I'd like to add that in my opinion, many of the Lab's most complex, nuanced scents seem to be deity-ritual oils, tarot oils, and (probably) the Sepheroth. The Orisha series of oils, while I haven't tried them all, seem to be very, very complex, often containing either a fruity or gourmand component. Having read the descriptions of the Tarot oils, there seems to be a whole lot going on there as well. I have little doubt the Sepheroth contain similiar complexity of notes.

As for those fragrances I have personally tried, I would agree that Dia De Los Muertos is divine. If you like incense-rich complexity, I would also recommend Anubis, which is nothing short of extraordinary.

I love Chimera as a complex gourmand scent. Also, some might think I'm crazy, but I swear Samhain & Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo share a note or two.

Verdandi, it strongly reminds me of Samhain when it dries down.

Also Intrigue, Cerberus, Nosferatu, Centzon Totochtin, and Dracul are all complex and slightly gourmand. :P

Edited by Finny

Heh. I almost pushed Dracul at her, but I've become such a Dracul cheerleader I thought I'd give it a rest. (go Dracul!)

I didn't find Intrigue to be terribly complex (at least not with my chemistry) but I do like it a lot, so I would agree it's worth investigating.

I think it'll be interesting to see how some of the new stuff turns out too. A number the recent introductions sound like they might well hit the spot for complex gourmand fragrances.

I wondered why you didn't suggest Dracul. :D

Intrigue is complex on me, I get all the different notes though, in stages at that, so that may be the difference. :D

Body chemistry is so weird! :P

Ahhh I really really want to try The World now X)...and other Tarot oils x_X *sigh* gotta go for decants, I guess =/ I'm so glad I ordered two supposedly "gourmand" Sephiroth imps in my last order...

Cairo, although not overly complex, has that evolving gourmand feel to it (for me, at least).

Intrigue was a very interesting scent. It morphed a lot, & finally turned into something lovely from something I disliked on first sniff. Mabon was interesting as well, but different. I tried it recently. It's very complex, it confused me a little. I think it's a scent that needs a few wearings to understand it.

My vote is for

Jack (very gourmand, fruit and warm spices)

Centzon Totochtin (beautiful cherry chocolate scent and very complex)

Nosferatu (again fruity and a lot of depth to it)

The Red Queen (foody/woody and quite misterious)

Cerberus (spicy cocoa, but in a dark sinister way, not sweet of foody)

Snake Oil (it doesn't morph a lot on me, but I still find it very gourmand and complex)

Sadly I never got to try Samhain or Dia de los Muertos. :P

Velvet. The chocolate/vanilla makes it gourmand to me. Myrrh is the other ingredient they list but...who knows what these formulae are all about? They just smell good.

oh joseybird, I'd say we have similiar tastes except for that i've bought bottles from you <grin>. I love, love, love samhain. Have you tried hearth? It's totally different, but to me, those two are scents I'm constantly trying to find likenesses of. In the scents that I've tried, I agree with the posters on many of them, Dia De Los Muertos, Centzon, Totochtin, Cerberus, Dracul.

I'm going to extend the thought of gourmand - which usually to me means chocolate - but to anything with a deep, perhaps sweet due to fruit...

Tenotchtitlan definately is complex,it's slightly sweet with the prickly pear, balanced with the sage and some florals, it's very interesting indeed. and slightly sweet with the prickly pear, it's not deep or mysterious but very interesting.

Blood Kiss to me is complex - It's sweet, not overly soo and has a mix of cherry and vetiver with wine and cloves. It's darker than a samhain type sent.

Perversion - rum, leather, chardonnay, tobacco, tonka...it's pretty sexy and complex in my opinion.

Mata Hari - roses and jasmine (although I didn't get roses from this) with mahogany, tonka, and coffee...it was too floral for me, but the coffee and mahogany in this were wonderful in my opinion.

Some others that are complex and interesting, but not necessarily gourmand are rage, tintagel, highwayman, queen mab, black pearl.

Thanks to Macha, I now really want to try the tarots and other oils. I've never gone there because I'm scared of things that don't list the notes, but, well, I guess sometimes you just have to trust!

Thanks to Macha, I now really want to try the tarots and other oils. I've never gone there because I'm scared of things that don't list the notes, but, well, I guess sometimes you just have to trust!

It IS scary. I absolutely agree. On the other hand, I would never have discovered the brilliance that is Aunt Caroline's Money Draw if I hadn't taken that blind chance!

Perversion though...*smacks head*...gah! Of course. I absolutely should have remembered Perversion. Fantastic scent, complicated, nuanced and very, very evocative. One of these days I really do need to pick up a bottle of that stuff.

my vote goes for queen of sheba if you havent tried it yet

its complex and slightly gourmand :P

What about Scherezade? More spicy than foody, although the saffron makes it yummy to me; certainly complex (on me, anyway).

Scherezade was a bit *too much* on the saffron to my liking...reminded me more of the cooking gourmand than the baking. I like, but do not *love*...

Hearth...I'm trying to...stay away from LEs...x_X;; its enough that I have to worry about running out of the three I love! :D

If anyone has Centzon, Totochtin, Cerberus, and Dracul I'd love to try them :P The problem of buying imps for me is that I'd rather buy a few at a time, to save on shipping...so...does anyone have two or more of these? :D also Sudhe Segara (did I spell this right? :D :D )

the living flame has a gourmandy action going on during part of it's development, but there's also florals and musks, so if you're not a fan of those...

Oooh, which florals? Do tell us more (if you can) :P

Edited by Pookstrell

i was going to recommend ddlm also she is gorgeous!

centzon totochtin

ouija

grandmother of ghosts

titagel is extremely complex and imho a one of a kind but man is it complex and morphing

tarot": strength is complex

and dracul

heck i could go on and on, i love so very many

how about Seraglio :P ?

it is one that morphs and changes, has a slightly foody vibe like baklava at the start but deepens and softens with rose and sandalwood and orange peel.

very addictive.