Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

Ok, I'm a dork for Arabic, but Scheherazade would be better pronounced like this

'Sheh-reh-zad'

Actually vocalizing the 'h's'

But, like I said, I'm a dork, and not many non-speakers will pronounce it this way. :D

And actually, blush blush :P ....there is no 'proper' spelling for this name. It's transliterated, and the real Arabic spelling includes letters that aren't even in the English language....this happens all the time, and it's sort of a grab bag for changing words and proper names into English...For example, I've seen Al Jazeera, Al Jazira, Al Jazirah, Al Jazeerah....and to be honest, all of them are equally correct.....so, there's a lot of ways Scheherazade could be spelled, and most of them are just fine.

Edited by Jenmaha

Szepasszony -- (This is a guess from piecing together bits from Hungarian dictionaries .. salice knows a native speaker we can get confirmation from later.) -- Say - pass - zon - ee

Pretty close, actually. It would be: Say - pass - son. The ssz is simply a double sz, so you don't add an English-esque z sound there, but you do repeat the s sound. The ny is one character...the sound is hard to describe, but it's like you were going to say son - ee, but you stop just before pronouncing the ee.

I hope that makes sense.

MASABAKES -- (this is a guess based on salice's knowledge of Spanish .. we'll get confirmation if we can later) -- Mah-SAH-bah-kehs

The accent should be on the second to last syllable:

Mah-sah-BAH-kehs

Multisyllabic Spanish words are always accented on the second-to-last syllable, unless an accented vowel (é, í, etc.) appears elsewhere in the word.

How about this one...

Chypre?

I it how it looks... ky-pree?

I've always said "shy-pruh", but come to think of it I'm not sure that's right. :P

MASABAKES -- (this is a guess based on salice's knowledge of Spanish .. we'll get confirmation if we can later) -- Mah-SAH-bah-kehs

The accent should be on the second to last syllable:

Mah-sah-BAH-kehs

Multisyllabic Spanish words are always accented on the second-to-last syllable, unless an accented vowel (é, í, etc.) appears elsewhere in the word.

Doh! He shoulda known that. Thanks!

http://www.m-w.com/

The Merriam-Webster Online site has a little button you can click after entering a word in, and it will have someone saying the word.

I did this with "eidolon."

-doreen

(ed: My attempt to hyperlink failed.)

Edited by feline.by.design

The Merriam-Webster Online site has a little button you can click after entering a word in, and it will have someone saying the word.

-doreen

I'm so glad this thread was started! I never would have gotten "Bow-vhen Shee' out of Baobhan Sith, and never in a million years would I have gotten 'doreen' out of 'eidolon'. :P :D

Edited by Vicious Mistress

-doreen

I'm so glad this thread was started! I never would have gotten "Bow-vhen Shee' out of Baobhan Sith, and never in a million years would I have gotten 'doreen' out of 'eidolon'. :P :D

:D

You do realize that Doreen is her name, not the pronunciation of Eidolon, right?

:D

:D Excellent. Just checking.

It is incredibly hard, though, with the Gaelic words, to try to discern the pronunciation from the printed version, when coming from an English background, eh? I would LOVE to learn Gaelic, but the transcription intimidates me. :P

Okay...

I really am wondering how to pronounce oneiroi/

Anyone know offhand?

Boots

oh-NYE-roy

I at least know the oh-NYE part is correct, as in oneiric ("relating to dreams").

I only know this one because of Persephone (gotta love the Greeks):

ti-SIF-uh-nee 

or

ti-SIF-oh-nee

Ah ha! I thought so. Though I was saying...

ti-SOF-uh-nee. Which was wrong. Thanks, Eb!!!!

-Leslie