Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Prague

For Jenny, with love. Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

On me, Prague is a very sweet floral, candy-sweet. I love the city and would like an oil that reveals its darker, labyrinthian, Kafkaesque side. As it is, it's not my style.

In the bottle this reminds me of the Hello Kitty grape gum that I chewed as a child. Nausiating. Wet, there is a green crispness that I just like, but it quickly fades. This one is gaging me. Gotta wash it off...

I've wanted to try this for months. I just had a feeling. I mean, I hate florals. I've tried to like them, but florals and I really have a hate-hate relationship.

But something about this one grabbed my attention, and I just had to try it.

Wow.

In the bottle, it smelled sweet and candyish, and so strong that when my daughter opened it in the car, we could smell it for a while after she closed it up again. Mmm.

Wet, more candyish smell, but sharp, not cloying.

Dry, it is the most divine floral smell - clean, bright, and yes, like the first flowers of spring. I'll be buying a bottle of this one, I'm thinking - and I'm once more reminded that BPAL isn't like other perfumeries. :P

Prague is the Old Country for me. I haven't been there (yet), but my maternal grandmother and her family emigrated from Prague to Chicago; the Czech Republic was still called Bohemia back then, and it is a big family in-joke that we are gypsies and artists by nature--ok, it was actually a merchant family but, y'know, Bohemians. *swoon* I've been to Chicago; the relatives are resting in the Bohemian Cemetary there. But Prague is where I really want to go, and I'll be taking this imp with me. It sits in my imp-house as a promise.

Good thing I like it. :P Prague is an ever-so-slightly astringent floral, but that just means it's not cloying. It smells white, rather sweet, but complex. The undertone seems to be aquatic. This is romantic and beautiful, but with a fresh edge. Just the scent for a Bohemian girl selling armloads of pale spring flowers on a cobblestoned street (I don't know if there are cobblestones in Prague. Indulge me, ok?).

frimp from the lab.

In the bottle: gummi bears! that's exactly what first came to mind.

Wet on skin: starting to turn a little powdery. I can definitely smell the lily now. No more gummi bear scent.

Dry down: gets sweeter and more powdery at the same time. There's some very sharp, sweet, bright smell in the front and then powdery lilies in the background. The sharp smell is probably snowdrop, but I'm not familiar with the way that smells. It's a nice scent, but I think I'd like it better on my mother. (and I mean that in the best way).

In the vial: really fruity and sweet.

Wet: benzaldehyde. Gotta wash this off.

This scent did not work for me. I did not get any floral notes at all. I will put the imp in my swap pile.

In the bottle: Green yet flowery... I can't put a name on the flowers, but something in the lily family.

Wet: Faintly medicinal flowers... is that eucalyptus? I've never smelled a crocus or a snowdrop but I wouldn't be surprised if they did smell a bit like that.

Drydown: It hasn't changed much from the bottle to drydown, but lilies seem to be coming out more obviously behind the greenery. And... an aquatic note. *sigh* It's not too obnoxious and takes away a bit of the sweetness of the lilies, for a while. They do become very sweet on me, though.

Overall: It's bright, pretty and girly, with a slightly snowy and green bite. Reminds me of the very beginning of spring, when the snow is thawing around early flowers. Very nice if you're into lily-type florals, but I think it's too young and sweet for me. Besides, I'm still not reacting so well to the aquatic note.

Huh.

I was looking for an Imbolc/Candlemas scent, and I wanted a floral, which I never wear, but I thought I should for today.

Grabbed Prague out of my frimps likely to be swapped pile, with no idea what it was. Opened it--smells green and floral--sure why not try it out?

On, I lose the green smell--and the green was very much of thick green stems that ooze sap when you cut them. On the skin, it is more sweet, and I can see why people might note the gummybear edge, though on me it straddles the line between fresh flowers and candy.

Then I looked it up and saw that it was crocuses, snowdrops and lilies! Absolutely perfect for this early spring holiday!

I don't know that I'll want to wear it much, because it so sweet, but its perfect to scent my bath with today.

As for smelling like Prague, well, not to me, but that's likely just my Prague experience which was definately darker. That would be good beer or hot mulled wine, pastries, something to bring to mind the Romany too...which I was mistaken for the entire time I was in Prague, which alas, made my experience less romance and more grit.

Strangely enough my description lacks all of the ingredients actually in the scent, probably because I don't really know which note is which. :P

In the imp: Initial reaction: wow, fruit! Fresh, vibrant fruit, almost overpowering at first, but then nice and crips, not too sweet, with hint of berries.

Wet: Straight on my skin it's even crisper, a bit like green apples. Very clean, almost soap, but with the berries coming out more.

Dry: The cleanness recedes somewhat, the fruit is more prominent again. For some reason it puts to mind vibrant flowers growing on the bank of a running water. Lovely!

Overall impression: A wonderful pick-me-up on a grey day or the perfect compliment for a larger-than-life May morning. Quite a staying power, too. Another keeper, although I'm not sure whether it's 100% me.

Edited by shirasade

Yes, I could've sworn there was a fruit note at first sniff as well.

But this turns out to be a very pretty floral on. I'm not sure what crocus and snowdrop smell like, but if I wanted to eat a flower, those would be it. This smell almost tropical. Very sweet and warm and fresh.

nice imper, you're a keeper.

I love the smell of Prague in the imp. It truly has that scent that I'd associate with crocus and snowdrop, the kind of sweet-but-delicate scent that would be emitted from those early spring flowers when the light is still thin and there's frost in the mornings. There's also the heavier sweetness of lily that hits you on the second whiff, and this is what dominates the scent once it hits my skin. Boy, does it ever dominated! It's kind of a nice, sweet, heavily floral scent, but it's too domineering for my body chemistry and the delicacy of the scent in the imp is lost on my skin. Bummer! It's so damn pretty, and I'm sure on someone with a different body type, it's gorgeous.

valentina

Tried this today at the Meet n' Sniff. A lovely, tender early-spring floral for the first few minutes, then chemical sweetener like Pink Moon and most other spring florals on me. Boo. :P

Wet and dry, this is pure, sweet, lily and crocus and crisp, cold, fast-running water. A very light, clean, luminous scent , and breathtakingly beautiful. I'd bathe in this if I could.

10ml. Definitely.

Definitely a white floral scent, but not cloying in the least -- there's a lush "greenness" to it, as though those first few crocuses are starting to poke their heads through the snow. Really lovely. :P

Edited by Katinka

prague.jpg

This is an absolutely scrumptious floral! It has elements of deep candy (yes that is pretty serious), bright lily sweetness, and though I see there is supposed to be something of the crocus in here, whatever it is it smells much better than any of the crocuses I have smelled. Somehow it generates a kind of spicy part which is alluring and stops it from becoming too "flowers/flowers/flowers".

a generous frimp from a fellow forumite :D

this is a gorgeous white floral blend mixing with some wet fruity goodness...

within 15 minutes or so the lilies come to the forefront but there is still

a melon like quality lingering behind the scenes...very strong and long

lasting with my chemistry...i will savor this little imp for awhile :P

Imp: Very sweet floral, almost berry.

On: Sweet, almost cloying floral. There really does seem to be a hint of berry to this, so much so that the blend reminds me of Florence. Unfortunately, this fades quite a bit in the first 20 mins, and doesn’t last much longer than 2-3 hrs.

Overall: A very pretty sweet fruity floral, but not enough staying power on my skin. One for the swap pile, so some one else can love it.

This is tart and sweet on first application, which I didn't expect, given the listed notes. It smells like berries! After half a minute, however, it settles into a clean, sweet floral. Definitely lilies.

This scent, on me, is both warm and aloof, and I find it quite serene. After a while, I get a hint of evergreen as well, which I like. It's an interesting and lovely combination.

Fresh From The Imp: Grape bubblegum?

Wet On My Flesh: I can smell some plant-like greenery.

Drying Down: It's mellowed out a lot, leaving a bit of lily and some dark, underlying thing that I take to be the crocus.

Hour To Integrate: I'm left with something that reminds me of baby wipes. It's not a bad smell, but it's not one that I would want to wear.

End Of Day/Final Report: I'm sure that there are folks out there that this works on, and hopefully I'll be able to swap it with one of them.

Scent in bottle: Acquatic floral...meh. This was a freebie that I wouldn't have chosen.

Scent on me:

Wet -- The acquatic notes go away and the flowers are much sweeter and nicer.

Dry -- But as it dries it goes back to a nice, but uninteresting, generic floral.

Conclusion: Inoffensive, but I'm not the floral type. Off to swaps!

I wanted to try Prague just because of the visual it gave me-

In the imp and wet on my skin I get a very bright floral with an almost aquatic end. This is where my visual is probably getting in the way of what I am smelling. All I can think of is crocus peeking their little heads out of the snow of late february.

As this dries down the floral softens but I am getting an unusual scent just at the tail end of my sniff. I want to say it reminds me of ozone - could be the snowdrop? I don't know what it smells like, but whatever it is, it's a bit unusual - not in a bad way though.

Wow! Complete dry down - I LOVE THIS! When this is completely dried down, I get a most beautiful light, soft, floral. It blends beautifully, no one note sticking out on it's lonesome. This suprises me because I would have thought the lillies would be overpowering - and my skin amps lillies but not in this.

Conclusion -Prague is very very clean, light and unusually beautiful. The throw is pretty good and the wear is okay. It's also very girlie. You would probably have to take your imp of this with you to reapply during the day.

Yet another YAY! from the Labbies.

The sister and I both wore this and got...cherry blossoms. :P We figure it was probably the crocus and the lilies mixing. After about half an hour/forty-five mintues it settled into a green-white floral on both of us. Very refreshing and pretty!

It had a pretty good throw on it, too, and lasted for quite a long time (given the two of us)...probably six hours before it needed a touch up.

In the vial: really really sweet, like ripe fruit

On the skin: It's a lot like cherry candies, that sickening sweet smell. It's honestly not bad at all. The lillies are very nice.

I was expecting a spring scent with Prague (Iron Curtain connotations!) and was not disappointed. Prague is light and sweet. I would have liked a little more "crisp" and "snowy" though. This is an altogether fine blend, but doesn't rock my world.