Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A raven-haired Fairy Queen of Ireland. One of her eternal duties dictates that she must hold a midnight court every season and hear the pleas of married Irishwomen. The court serves only to determine whether or not husbands are adequately serving their wife's sexual needs. A judicious yet powerfully sensual blend, a mingling of justice and sexuality: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

IN THE BOTTLE: The sweet pea is definitely there, but the sage darkens it and makes it a bit grassier.

WET: It's very flowery and sweet and almost smells more like bluebell than sweet pea. There is a slightly astringent note at the end.

DRY: I don't think this one likes me very much. It smells slightly wet... kind of like wet dog? Wet deer maybe? You get the image of a flowery field just after a spring shower, when all the animals are coming out to dry off and grab breakfast. It's ever so slightly cloying, and a bit decayish.
- - - -
I got this as a bonus imp with my order, so I'm not too bummed that it's not working for me. It's lovely, and in the bottle it smells sweet and innocent but with a sinister foreboding, but my chemistry turns it from "abduction of Persephone" to "wet woodland creatures"

In the bottle, I couldn't smell anything. I actually worried that somehow the scent had escaped somewhere along the line (most of my imps are "hand-me-downs").

As soon as it went on, all I could think of was that I knew this scent. It took me a few minutes to place it, but then I had it. Irish Spring soap. Very clean, but just odd for a perfume.

An hour-ish later (after being covered up with wrist warmers and sleeves for most of that time), it's mellowed out into something lovely. Still a little bit of the Irish Spring scent, but much more complex.

I'm generally a fan of clean smelling things, so this one might end up being something I want more of. Not my absolutely favorite of the ones I've tried thus far, but it's ranking up there!

On my skin Aeval screams herbal floral shampoo and i can't ignore this association no matter how hard i try. The shampoo accord dissipates and i'm left with a musky sage/ sweet pea drydown. Pretty neutral

I don’t know when I got this imp. I’m going to guess that it’s close to a year old, so I would consider this “aged”. It was tucked away in my “haven’t tried box” and for the last few days this is all I have been wearing. This is THE sweet pea scent I have been looking for. Now, I still adore and will forever and always love Reflective Vulva and to a lesser degree Mouse’s long and Sad Tail, but Aeval is sweet pea perfection.

If there is one note that BPAL gets right every single time its sweet pea. That can be a hard note to get right. Done wrong it can be too sweet, too juvenile or too fleeting. BPAL sweet pea is beauty with lasting power.

Aeval smells pretty but with a haunting edge to it. The sage really helps to ground this scent and adds a bit of mysticism. It feels natural and sexy at the same time which I think is the best combination.

On dry down I do pick up on a little bit of tonka and an herb-ish note that doesn’t seem to be the sage. The musk doesn’t over power at all in this blend, even on dry down. It just hangs out in the back giving this blend a sturdy base.

It does last for several hours on my skin. I would say the throw is average, meaning it’s not announcing your presence but can be smelled if the person is close. You don’t have to hold your wrist under your nose to smell it. It’s stronger than that.

I will be getting the big bottle.

Wet: Bright, creamy, and pale.

Drydown: It smells like shampoo! Airy, fresh, clean, and sudsy. Slightly sweet and slightly creamy.

Dry: Mostly white musk with tonka and sweet pea folded in. The sage lends a soft and fuzzy feeling without drawing much attention to itself. But, all you really need to know is that it smells like lathered-up shampoo.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Sweet pea, but not cloyingly sweet or one-note. I think the sage is providing a nice balance and reigning in the sweetness, without smelling like sage. It smells very clean, almost soapy. It's pretty and I like it, but doesn't really stand out to me. It's also very faint on my skin and fades quickly.

I tested this one when its discontinuation was announced in October, and I forgot to post my review here!

This one is sweet pea dominant on me, with the pale musk and the sage giving it a clean feel. Sage isn't always kind to me, but it isn't an issue here.

This one is nice, but I didn't feel the need to get a bottle of it before it went away (because I already own the Lab's Sweet Pea SN).

In the imp: The sweet pea is a little hard to sniff out, but otherwise this is as described. Very pretty.

Wet on skin: Slightly-sagey musk.

Dry on skin: I wish the sweet pea note was a little stronger (it's almost not even there), but this is still lovely! Like a warmer, deeper version of how it smelled in the imp.

After a few hours: It's blended together better & has faded quite a bit (musk is still the main note), but this is still really pretty. A sweet, herbally-floral musk.

Verdict: A good perfume for when I don't want anything too strong, but still want to smell nice.

In the imp - Soft and fluttery floral.

Wet - Sweetpea is commanding the stage. It’s almost too powdery for me to handle. There’s also musk swimming behind the cloud of floral, and if I concentrate I can smell the sage.

Drydown - The sage is totally redeeming the blend. The sweet herbal aspect of sage swoops in and blows away the powder. This is soft and herbal and floral … it’s like lavender, if lavender decided to play nice for once. It burns off into a delightful sage musk toward the 30-minute mark.

Verdict - Though this was lovely, it spends a bit too much time in “little-girl floral” territory. Swap.

It's so sweet and fresh and fierce. It smells clean and natural, and sweet, but the sage gives it a slight herbal greenness. Very nice!