Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Nocnitsa

... Her scent is that of a lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth.

I was really looking forward to this one. But it's a hot swampy forest, reeking of all sorts of decay, and a sharp citrus tang, and OMG, I just smelled my wrist again....

DO. NOT. WANT.

I usually like a little dankness and darkness but Nocnitsa isn't even impworthy for me. Too harsh.

In the vial: Smelling this right after Troll is a funny experience, as I find this a beutiful, feminine ans seductive scent. It is definitely green, and yet there's a sweetness to it. I really hope this works on me, because it's a sure contender for my bottle list.

On my wrist: It is such a pretty green. It doesn't change much form the initial impression. Dew has fallen on the forest and there are various ripe, red berries. Unfortunately the sweetness is turning a bit artificial on me.

The scent turns powdery upon drydown, I'm afraid. Sad that my skin keeps doing this to promising scents. After a few hours, my wrists smell of perfumed soap.

I got this in a swap and can't wait to try it. I love the outdoors so hopefully I'll love this oil.

In imp: Very sharp. Maybe pine, but minty with a hint of wood. Kind of smells like an aftershave.

On wet: woah this is strong. Smells very masculine. Still very sharp. Kind of pine sol with a dry wood mixed in. I hope my skin sweetens this up.

Dry: This is interesting. Smells very woodsy but is probably to manly for me.

Imp: sour upturned earth. Instantly reminds me of the first time I took a whiff of Deep In Earth. It's got a very tangy and biting scent to it.

wet: intense. smells like fir, wood, earth and moss. So far the description has been very accurate. A dark forest in the middle of summer while you're being followed by something that is sure to cause you harm....

dry down: still sharp and intense. Starts to smell like some strange and poisonous plant.

I dig it. It's a very strange and unusual scent, and a really unconventional choice for a perfume. I will give this a few more tries and enjoy the imp but I'm not sure if I'd buy a bottle.

A little bit of this oil goes a very long way for me. The throw is very powerful! My roommate asked me what that smell was from a room away, and I only put on a dab!

I dislike wearing forest scents, but I loooove them in an oil diffuser - and my house will be smelling of Nocnitsa this winter!

Probably one of the more beautiful forest blends I've ever smelled, with the strong, bracing evergreen offset by a subtle sweetness. The "night air" opening is just fabulous and holds an underlying menace that I adore.

Drydown is slow and very nice, like you've come indoors with the scent of the forest still on your coat.

In the imp this smelled very mineral-y, to the point where I didn't even pick up the conifer smell.

On my wrist, the first impression is fir trees. As the scent dries and evolves, I realize these are not Christmas-y fir trees. They are dark, somehow somber and Pre-Raphaelite fir trees, with infinite black starry sky and something a little bit tart, like purple-black fruit. (I notice someone upthread smelled grape soda, so I know I'm not imagining this!)

As time goes on, I get more of the strange fruit and less conifer. There is a slight earthy note underlying it all. It’s very pretty on me.

in the imp: sweet pine resin and forest floor

wet: the sweet pine comes to the front, and then sharpens a little bit, with more of the pininess coming out and the sweetness dying down to the background. I can pick out some sort of moss there too, dry and soft

This is one of those really evocative scents for me - I am standing in a pine forest - it is almost pitch black because the pines are blocking the light completely and all around me are the bare trucks of pine trees and bare dry lower branches that don't serve the tress any use anymore because all the needles are on the upper ones. If I reach out and grasp one it will break off without any effort. The floor is covered in a thick layer of dry pine needles - nothing else grows here, just the pines.

dry: it's still pine resin, soft and sticky, and moss, and perhaps dry soil.. I am, without a trace of doubt, in the middle of nowhere, in darkness... with nothing but pine trees to keep me company

Beautiful, and eerie.

comparing to the actual notes:

Ah, not pine.. fir.. the two are certainly similar though. otherwise, yes.. the scent is evocative of the description and I feel kind of special that I actually "got it" :P

In the imp and fresh on: Wood and evergreens.

Drydown: This settles out nicely. The sharp evergreen scent fades back and the wood comes to the fore, with hints of spiciness.

Long-term: The earthy undernote does present itself after a while, but never becomes really noticeable. Overall, this is a pleasant, woody scent with a little spice -- an earthier, less aquatic relative of Mary Read. Staying power seems about average; after 11 hours, it's still a bit present on my wrists, but there's no throw.

Bottom line: It's not going to be a top favorite, but it's a very nice scent and will definitely get used.

Finally! A scent that works on me! More than 15 imps gone by and not a one worked until Nocnitsa.

In the imp: Pine and bitter herbs.

On wet: Bitter herbs (very green) and something warm and woodsy.

10 Mins: Still wet and with the same notes as before but adding in a spicy note.

15 Mins: Less spice now but maybe berry? Still very warm and inviting.

Dry: Herbs, Woods, and Berries. It's so very warm and foresty. I love it.

After 4 1/2 hours: Spicy notes and an dirt undertone.

All in All? I know what I want for my birthday.

In the imp: I think this is the first 'dirt' scent I've tried, and I'm amazed by how true it is. I get evergreens too.

Wet: Mostly evergreen, with hints of rich, fruity earth. This reminds me quite a bit of the 'Down The Rabbit Hole' atmo spray.

Dry: Dirt and woods. Really nice! I'm going to try this as a room scent, so I can make my house smell like an ~enchanted forest.

In the Imp (ITI): This is rather pretty. It certainly is fir, moss, and night, although I get a little juniper and juniper berries as well.

Wet: The fir is very present, but I’m still getting a heavy juniper and berry presence with a cool wafting of night.

Dry: The berry aspect, even though it’s technically not present in the note section, is very clear, underneath which is soft, slightly soapy fir. It is still lovely and makes me feel relaxed when I sniff it.

This one was beautiful. It started out as a lush misty forest at night and candied lime (dark green and bright green), and slowly dried down into something more like the description, without the upturned earth. There were fir needles and gentle night air among the trees, wet forest mosses, and maybe just a hint of the lime. It wasn't too strong, either. Definite keeper.

Her scent is that of a lightless fir wood, nighttime air, wet forest mosses and upturned earth.

This imp is aged.

In the bottle: The most amazing and sweet fir forest comes out to greet me.

On my skin: Sweet wet moss! Slightly bitter fir! Sweet nighttime air! And a couple of minutes after... Earth! This scent is nice, although I suspect it would have been sharper when it was new; at this age most of the green sharpness and bite are gone and what remains is the mellow sweetness of it. I am right.. In about half an hour or so it has morphed to a sweet scent that I associate with the lab's berry notes, all greenery gone.

Drydown: Sweet, sweet berries. I think my initial assumption was right. I wish I could have ried this oil when it was still young and fresh. I think it would have been amazing. :)

Nocnitsa is a rather feminine and sweet conifer scent: fresh dew and soft breezes in a fir forest. Nothing dark about it! It wears pretty close to the skin. I'd prefer it was a bit more dank and earthy, but I love it, nonetheless!

I wish I'd sprung for a bottle while it was still available, but my younger self favored foodie blends. Elf is similar, and will do for now.

High, sharp, clear woods. Like a damp, cold, conifer forest, all fir and birch. Reminds me quite a lot of Jab.berwocky. I don't get the darkness at all, just a bright and somewhat mind-clearing fresh, woodsy scent. I could see using this along with a peppermint to sooth headaches.

This is sticky, sweet pine resin, and man does it throw. As it was drying, I liked it close to the wrist, but once I smelled it swirling around me, it started to smell like aftershave - the kind in an old house of a strange relative, in a glass bottle with a metal top that is rusting - it's probably been barely used since the 40s. I had to wash it off, I didn't get any of the air, earth, and moss.

Edited by freyasfae

Definitely evergreens here. Kind of a mentholated and fresh blend crossed with household cleaner. Not really my thing,

This one starts off as really coniferous. I get lots of pine (I feel like this is more pine than fir-centric), fifir, cedar, and the nighttime air at first, but it becomes a little earthier over time as the moss gains strength and the bit of dirt joins in. It is by no means a dirt scent, though -- no, this one is mostly about the trees. By the end of the day, the cedar is super strong on me, and I think it may be some type of red cedar, but I'm not sure -- but it is very rugged and not the cozy kind in scents like The Small Brown Cat or Tombstone. It's accompanied by some pine and fir needles and some moss.

I'm glad I got to try this, but I don't think this forest scent is for me, as there is not enough sweetness here (from something like sap or another conifer note) to tame this strong cedar.