Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

Makes sense, I got rares and discontinueds in my inquisition and in an BTP order with limited edition bath oil.

Yeah, this was forumglitch, apologies for this, I figured it hadn't posted at all, but seems it did - trying again :(

OP looked like this:

"Please forgive me for posting this, it is a long shot, but - is there anyone out there who has is incredible at picking out notes or even recognizing Bpal oils from just smelling them?

I have something here, which has a ripped label and must have been a frimp in...some trade or the other - but I've traded so much lately that I don't even remember who and stupidly, I have also removed most PM communications and blahablaha.

(I had a downperiod during a shiftchange, after multiple trades where I just dumped everything into a box and went "I'll test it Later" - it likely arrived somewhere between...well...november and now, so I can't figure out from who and when :( )

Label visibly says "Bpal" so likely decanted and much-traded - that's it.

I am pretty sure it has violet, but a rather (to me) soft one - and it smells (again, to me) creamy-powdery and Greenish. It could possibly have some sort of patchouli even though I hate that and I love this, so I am not sure :( I am actively hunting all Violet-Bpals I can find (so far, no match - closest is The Raven, but that one has too Much violet and is too Bright to me)

I'll happily pay for shipping this thing across the world several rounds if I can just find someone who can tell me what it is so I can buy 17 or so bottles, cause the imp is running low and that is scary :/

So - is there anyone out there who actually thinks they could identify it from just sniffing it? I'll pay or trade stuff or send you things that glitter.

(apologies if this post is just stupid - very likely - or if it should be somewhere else...but asking hopefully won't hurt and I can maybe be moved to the correct thread if this already exists :) )

Danke.

/Kat"

Could it possibly be Le Serpent Qui Danse? :umm:

When, as by glaciers ground, the spate

Swells hissing from beneath,

The water of your mouth, elate,

Rises between your teeth --

It seems some old Bohemian vintage

Triumphant, fierce, and tart,

A liquid heaven that showers a mintage

Of stars across my heart.

A sinister, darkly seductive scent inspired by poetry of Charles Baudelaire. Violet entwined with vanilla and gardenia.

Reviews here.

Violet Ray was a powdery, slightly green violet on me. But, if it's that, you have my condolences. :(

Searching for violet at http://bpal.org/search/ comes up with quite a few scents that might fit. Maybe Bruised Violet Compound, though I don't remember if I have ever tried that one personally.

Have you considered Brusque Violet? Q who you sometimes swap with had some arrive recently, so she might be able to sniff & compare the two.

I also gave some Violet Ray away to someone as a frimp, might have been you, but I think the label on that one was clean.

Violet Ray is amazing, and when I sniff my imp, I can detect the slightly green note you speak of. I like Ultraviolet, too, which is still available, but it's a strong eucalyptus and mint violet. I also have Time Does Not Bring Relief in the violet family, and Wings of Azrael.

Melisande the Puppet Mistress is strongly violet + jasmine on me, and goes really soft-powdery because of the vanilla.

Brusque Violet is more strongly violet than I think you're describing, but it has mint which could give it that green sense.

Halp!

I received this from a lovely swapper, but unfortunately some of its siblings leaked and so the label was rather blurry by the time I received it. I have no idea what it is, and my swapper doesn't remember XD so I'm turning to you, o forum. Halp!

I have a photo: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/95416/mystery-decant.png

It's foody, slightly cake-y to my nose, and dry on my skin I think it has berries in it. Not a heavy berry scent, but something like berries, or jam, that sort of thing.

As you can see the oil color is yellow.

Any ideas?

Halp!

I received this from a lovely swapper, but unfortunately some of its siblings leaked and so the label was rather blurry by the time I received it. I have no idea what it is, and my swapper doesn't remember XD so I'm turning to you, o forum. Halp!

It's foody, slightly cake-y to my nose, and dry on my skin I think it has berries in it. Not a heavy berry scent, but something like berries, or jam, that sort of thing.

Any ideas?

It's definitely one of the Beaver Moons, though which one, I'm not sure. I've only ever tried the 2005 version, and that's straight cake on me.

Beaver Moon 2005/Beaver'versary

Beaver Moon 2007

Beaver Moon 2010

Beaver Moon 2011

I'm pretty sure that's all of them. :)

Edited by plainjean

Halp!

Any ideas?

It's definitely one of the Beaver Moons, though which one, I'm not sure. I've only ever tried the 2005 version, and that's straight cake on me.

Beaver Moon 2007

Beaver Moon 2010

Beaver Moon 2011

Ooh thank you! It's definitely not the 2011 one, and strawberry doesn't seem to fit with the berry scent I'm getting--while it's a light berry, it's not a tangy berry like strawberry usually is for my nose. Curious. I have a sniffie of the 2005 Beaver Moon, which I just sniffed alongside this, and the 2005 one is a lot sweeter and cakey. So that leaves...2007 or 2010!

I wish my nose was better at this :lol:

Halp!

Any ideas?

Beaver Moon 2007

Beaver Moon 2010

Beaver Moon 2011

Ooh thank you! It's definitely not the 2011 one, and strawberry doesn't seem to fit with the berry scent I'm getting--while it's a light berry, it's not a tangy berry like strawberry usually is for my nose. Curious. I have a sniffie of the 2005 Beaver Moon, which I just sniffed alongside this, and the 2005 one is a lot sweeter and cakey. So that leaves...2007 or 2010!

the '10 was very very fruity to my nose, so my guess is the 07 based on all that ;)

Halp!

Any ideas?

Beaver Moon 2007

Beaver Moon 2010

Beaver Moon 2011

the '10 was very very fruity to my nose, so my guess is the 07 based on all that ;)

Yay! Thank you :wub: 2007 it is then :D I'm relabeling it but I'll still add in that it was a mystery imp, and just frimp it away to someone, heheh.

OK, I don't know if this is properly a scent, or just an effect, but I didn't want to be obnoxious in starting a new topic.

I've noticed, for a few scents, that they get extremely heavy, and sort of... settle at the back of my throat. I find myself coughing and clearing my throat to try and get it out. I'd call it cloying, but it's usually fine to my nose. It's happened on a few scents involving musk, a few involving incense, and a few involving sandalwood, but not all of them. Is there a word for this? A scent I'm missing? Or just luck-of-the-draw skin chemistry and sense of smell?

I have one imp I just wanted to check. Reptoid Dominion. It says its supposed to smell like musk, but mostly it smells like a middle school boys locker room. King of like Axe. Normal?

Edited by coltostallion

I have one imp I just wanted to check. Reptoid Dominion. It says its supposed to smell like musk, but mostly it smells like a middle school boys locker room. King of like Axe. Normal?

i swapped that one away pretty promptly but yeah, i distinctly remember a stinky cologny-ness.

ARGH! recieved a mystery imp in a swap today that's soooo pretty... and the sender of it recieved it that way too, so there's no telling. i'm HORRIBLE at picking out notes, especially if it's well aged, but its a dark orangey oil, and if i had to guess i'd say some kind of floral/vanilla/fruit (i know, that really narrows it down, right?) for some reason it makes me think lupers. and it reminds me a bit of vasilissa without the skin musk, i think

Edited by bonny

So I have this decant and the label says New England v4 but I can't find any reviews or anything on it. Does anyone have more information about this scent?

This is the exact thread I was looking for!

Back before I decided I was really getting into BPAL, and needed to keep track of what I was receiving & from whom I was receiving it, I received an imp that's labeled "Apple of Sodom". The liquid in the imp is a darker, almost brownish colour, and has a more woodsy-smell. The smell is a little "off" to me, so I stuck it in the "eh, not for me" stack.

A little later, I received another imp of "Apple of Sodom" which is a clearer, pale, almost yellow-green (or green-yellow) colour, and smells decisively of green apples. This means I have NO CLUE what the original imp is (or from whom I received it). Any suggestions? Thoughts?

I could be way off mark, but..

Perhaps the original imp was Apple of Sodom, just very aged? Since it smelled kind of "off" maybe it had gone bad. Just a thought. :)

This is the exact thread I was looking for!

Back before I decided I was really getting into BPAL, and needed to keep track of what I was receiving & from whom I was receiving it, I received an imp that's labeled "Apple of Sodom". The liquid in the imp is a darker, almost brownish colour, and has a more woodsy-smell. The smell is a little "off" to me, so I stuck it in the "eh, not for me" stack.

A little later, I received another imp of "Apple of Sodom" which is a clearer, pale, almost yellow-green (or green-yellow) colour, and smells decisively of green apples. This means I have NO CLUE what the original imp is (or from whom I received it). Any suggestions? Thoughts?