Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rainbow

Thalia

Plumeria, pear and white champagne.

I bought this one in a 5ml bottle without smelling it or reading any reviews. I did a search on pear and this popped up. I figured it was worth a shot and stuck it in my CN order. I got the order yesterday and immediately took a deep sniff of this...

In the bottle: Flowery with a hint of something fruity. Not really pear, more like white grapes.

Wet on the skin: Oh man, this is so *pretty*. A hint of floral, nowhere near what I had expected, with strong pear scents and almost a peach smell as well.

Half hour later: Dried to a very crisp, bright fruit scent with a background of flowers.

A couple of hours later: I can't stop sniffing my wrists. It's dried into a faint scent that I catch a whiff of every so often. It makes me smile happily.

6 hours later: Still going strong. I'm surprised this has such staying power. It's a faint, soft floral with fruit undertones. This hasn't gone powdery on me at all which usually happens with floral fragrances, even Beth's.

I am *so* glad that I got this in a 5ml. It's definitely in my top 5 without fail. I really hope this one sticks around because I will definitely be refilling this one when my bottle runs low. :P

On me, Thalia is mostly pear with a light touch of floral. Very fruity. Very summery. In the drydown, the 'champagne' offers a sort of effervescence to the blend. It's not as bubbly as champagne notes usually are.

Overall this is fruity with a touch of floral. Light, innocent, and pretty. Sweet and juicy. And entirely not me. I'll be passing it on to a friend of mine who loves fruit scents.

Oh…what is that sweet smell? Is it the pear or the plumeria? I don’t know what plumeria smells like, but I think it is a tropical flower.

Hmmm…I am smelling pear for sure! I have never in my life tried on so many fruits smells on my body, since being enabled into BPAL (this is all Jasmine Becket Griffith’s faul as she was my enabler!!) I never liked fruity shampoos or lotions or perfume. About the closest fruity perfume I had was one by Lancome, called Tresor..it smelled sort of peachy…that was before I had to quit wearing perfume because they all made me sneeze!

Oops…back to Thalia! Sorry, this is what I am like in person…one thought leads to another and another. Hmmm…the overwhelming sweetness is calming down now, and I am starting to kind of like this. I almost smell coconut! This is definitely making me think of being on a tropical island, slathered in coconuty suntan lotion, and sipping some fruity drink, while the ocean waves softly splash against the shore.

And that reminds me of this gorgeous skirt we have in the store! It is silk, and shirred, with sequins, and is tye died in colours that go from royal blue, to turquoise, to minty green to gold…that skirt always looks as if you should be wearing it on a tropical island while eating pineapple…

Ok, I will stop now.

I like Thalia. I like anything that reminds me of tropical islands, the ocean and fruity drinks.

Wet, this is super-sweet pear and plumeria (which amps up on my skin like jasmine). It's almost too syrup-y, but the drydown eases up a bit. It's still an incredibly juicy, fruity, sweet floral.

The champagne note does add a certain light-heartedness to what would otherwise be a smothering scent. It is VERY girly.

I like it, but I think this will be a limited scent for me.

In the Bottle: I can really smell the pear, it's very light and juicy and not too sweet at all. The pear is more like a pear champagne or something, a pear schnapps. It smells like a fancy alcoholic drink, it actually smells like a peach bellini with some pear brandy or something. I get a hint of plumeria behind it.

Dry: Pretty much the same, a peach bellini with some pear brandy. A tiny touch of flowers. I really like it! It's fun, and juicy, and really original for a perfume. This will be fun for dinner out.

Sparkly- I can "feel" the champagne in it! I didn't think I would like pear, but it is lovely, as is this imp the lab slipped in for free. Ultra light scents are usually not me, but I will certainly play with this a bit and see how it works. It's very subtle and pretty.

In the imp this smells like pears and gardenia. There's a bit of a sour note that I'm assuming is champagne.

On my skin this turns fruity, and is a bit mouth-watering. It reminds m a little of Glitter. As this dries, it begins to turn buttery on me. Thinking that maybe it was just me, I made my mom and fiance smell it. My mom said it smelled very floral, and my fiance said it smelled like butter. After wearing this for awhile, it smells like fruity butter with sweet florals on me. Not really my thing.

In the imp: I always have trouble figuring out fruit/floral scents in the imp. It just smells like fruit and flowers.

On, wet: Is that...? Could it be...? It is! It's PEAR!

Later: And it continues to smell of sweet, glorious pear. With a background of gentle plumeria. *happysigh* My pear scent, I found it! This is so perfectly sweet and fruity, but not at all the overpowering sweet of the berry blends. <3 !!

In the bottle

This is a pale gold colored liquid.

Smells like Plumeria mostly.

On

I smell mostly plumeria with a bit of pear in the background. Not as champagne-like nor acidic as "Bon Vivant" for instance. And not as pear-like as Titania. It's thicker, more floral and sweeter than those.

I don't know how I worked two champagne blends and two pear blends into three reviews in a row, must have been subconcious, but I might review similar blends that way in the future as it's kind of a different and fun way to review.

30 minutes

It's pretty but too much of a floral for my skin. My skin just amps it all up to be a little too much.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Floral/Fruit

Summary

This smells like the heady, tropical, and creamy plumeria flower.

Purchase again? No, too sweet and floral, to cloying and not fresh smelling enough to balance this out for my skin.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

This is an absolutely must-try scent for anyone who likes, or is curious about, plumeria. The plumeria is beautiful in here and the pear works perfectly to temper it. This is how I like fruit in my scents. No one will ever walk up to you and say, "Oh, you smell like a pear," but the tartness of that fruit balances the sweetness of of the flower. I don't get any champagne but that note is usually elusive on me.

When I first applied this, the plumeria note was so heady and overpowering, I got a bit of a headache. The pear and champagned are in the background, making Thalia a bit bubbly. However, after the whole headache-inducing stage is over, the pear and champagne come to the foreground, making me think of a plumeria blossom floating in a champagne flute (okay, it'd probably have to be a very wide champagne flute to hold the blossom..). After six hours, Thalia becomes more of a skin scent. It's just sweet and ethereal, the champagne no longer bubbly, but more crystalline. It smells like a sweet lotion you'd apply before slipping on your silk nightie--not necessarily for seducing, but for flouncing around the house. I'm going to have to try this again and see if I can get that stage to appear earlier....

Wet: On me it starts sort of artificially fruity, like one of the Strawberry Shortcake dolls in the 80s with the artificially fruity hair.

Drydown: About half an hour later it's morphed into a sweet pear with a dusting of flowers (proabably the plumeria which I'm not familiar with). I like this a lot. However, it's very light with not a lot of throw. I have to get my nose right up to my wrist to smell anything at all.

I'm definitely going to try this again, but will slather a bit more on when I do. Hopefully it will last longer.

ITB: I can really smell the pear in this, but it’s a spiced pear - quite lovely and sweet.

On: Both the pear and plumeria are apparent, and the champagne adds a lovely bitter kick to the blend.

Dry: very nicely balanced. This scent is perfectly suited to my tastes, which is for crisp white florals. The pear and champagne keep the plumeria from being too sweet. A perfectly balanced scent. So happy I bought a bottle unsniffed!

Sweet pear and plumeria on first application, with a sharp note I assume is champagne. Then it disappears completely! About fifteen minutes later, however, a quiet pear note begins to bloom again. It's not as sweet as before, and it's actually a little soapy. I like the initial bloom of the scent, but I'm "eh" about the way it ends up.

Yum...I had this in my box to try for a while and am quite enthralled. Thalia is such a sparkling scent!

I can smell the pears and the champagne which blend perfectly. I am not familiar with plumeria to identify itas a note, but whatever - this blend is absolutely delightful. Such a nice happy summery blend.

And here's another one I for some reason haven't posted my review of yet. :P

At first Thalia is an overwhelming champagne scent. I have to be careful with how much I put on because a little goes a long way. The longer I have this on my skin, the more the pear comes out, as well as a hint of something floral (the plumeria, most likely, but I don't know this note well enough to identify it for sure). It ends as a pretty blend of pear and champagne with that floral note hiding underneath. This doesn't have much throw after the pear comes out, but it does last for several hours.

Edited by angharad

In the imp: Pear and champagne. Slightly soapy, too.

Wet: I smell like a box of Tide. Whew.

Dry: I'm thinking the plumeria and I aren't getting along. There's a hint of pear every now and then, but overall just a whole lot of soap.

Wet: all I smell is plumeria, very lovely

Dry: Ah, now the pear and champagne come through! Light, lively, sweet, warm -- gorgeous!

Unfortunately, it's making me sneeze. :P I really love this one, but my allergies don't. I've gotta go wash it off quick, before my reaction gets worse.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Thalia smells like gardenia. I was sure there was gardenia in this until I read the description. Must be plumeria playing tricks on me.

Anyway, on me Thalia is very sweet, very warm, and very, very floral. I get almost no pear, and no champagne at all. Too bad, though, since I think the plumeria could have been pretty if the other notes had done their part to lighten this scent up a bit. I had been hoping for some tartness from the pear and a little "effervescence" (sp?) from the champagne. Unfortunately, it was just not to be.

Ultimately, Thalia was way too heavy and sweet for me. My chemistry tends to amp sweet florals to an unbearably sweet level, and this was no different. It lasted for ages, too, even through a shower.

* THALIA *

In the bottle: Champagne with fresh sliced pears floating in it :P

Wet: Champange with fresh pears and a hint of plumeria

Dry Down: All the notes have blended so perfect together. What I smell is a sweet pear with a nice floral background

Conclusion: Thalia is lovely! I was worried about this because my skin usually amps florals to the point that they are headachy and overpowering - with Thalia, everything blends so well together. It is neither too fruity or too floral. It must be the champagne that tempers it. It is a very bright summery scent. Thalia definitely warrants a 5ml purchase!

efs

Edited by Rhowan

How odd, I used to like plumeria a lot (had a big bottle of Bath & Body Works lotion... do they still make plumeria-scented products?), but now... not so much I guess! The plumeria in Thalia is bold and juicy, the pear is barely there and I can't really smell the champagne note. Upon sniffing at the imp and at my skin this reminded me of La Belle au Bois Dormant. Thalia is more radiant, bubbly and boisterous. Good Cheer, indeed.

based on the description alone, i had enormously high hopes for thalia, & i am so happy to say that she has absolutely come through!

i am in love with thalia right out of the imp. my god, what a light, gorgeous scent!! i cannot pinpoint what i am smelling at all, but it is sweet & light, and yes, it is bubbly; sunlight through a flute of pale champagne. just. breathtakingly beautiful.

i MUST have more of this one! :P

Yay, this was on my wish list, and the Lab all-knowingly included it as a frimp with my last order. Yes my wish list is the size of Texas, and the chances of getting a frimp from it vs. not are pretty high, but that's irrelevant. :P

Wet: Pears and champagne! This is delicious, fruity, and bright, and I can see myself wearing it in the spring and summer.

Dry: Pears and champagne! Ok, ok, and a teeny hint of flowers in the background. This smells like a picnic setting.

Thalia is a slatherer for me. I applied liberally, and it wasn't heavy, not much of a throw, and vanished in under 2 hours. This is another scent that I think would make a good body lotion.

I do love the scent of this, as I'm all about Teh Froot in perfume scents, but don't know if I need a bottle. Mi-Go sates my urge for Shiny Happy Froot pretty well.

Imp: This is boozy grapey champagne. I can’t smell pear/plumeria in the imp.

Wet: : This goes on very light. The champagne is much less now, and I smell a sharp plumeria (not sweet like I usually think it is) and pear. This is a crisp scent.

Drying: The plumeria sweetens and gets less sharp and fumy. This is a sweet, white, fruity and crisp smell. Quite lovely, and good for spring/summer, I think.

Dry: Thalia settles into a crisp/bubbly fruity sweet floral. The floral is more of an earthy note than I usually associate with plumeria--the result is a fruit/floral somewhere between the juiciness of Titania and the more earthy sweetness of Florence.

Overall: Crisp/bubbly. As spring/summer approaches, I find myself loving these fruit/florals more and more! I love this. It's sweet and tart and juicy and sharp all at once. Very well balanced. Faded to barely there by 7 hrs. Throw is moderate.

Thalia

In the imp: a sweet, heady white floral with a champagne tang.

Wet on skin: sweet plumeria with a hint of tangy pear and bubbly.

Dry: ooh, I like this! This is definitely a cheerful scent. It’s sweet, floral, juicy, floral, and also tangy and dry. The plumeria adds it’s tropical, heady floral scent to the scent, paired up with the pale, crisp juiciness of pear, and with the effervescent and dry scent of champagne fizzing away between them. This scent makes me think of this: imagine being invited to a millionaire’s outdoor party at his tropical island mansion. Imagine hanging out in a garden filled with exotic blooms whilst drinking champagne amongst the rich and famous. That’s the vibe this scent has-glamorous, sophisticated and summery.

After a while: after half an hour, the pear note comes out in full…and what a pear this is! It’s very realistic, like the scent of a pear split in half, sweet, light, and a bit tangy. Hints of plumeria and bubbly linger on the side, but for now, it’s predominantly pear.

The drydown after a few hours is mainly pear with a hint of white flower petals.

Verdict: this is, as the name implies, a very cheerful scent indeed. The heady, exotic scent of plumeria, the juicy fruity scent of pear, and the crisp tang of champagne go together really nicely. The scent is summery, light, with a feel of sophistication to it, and it’s also a light hearted scent, makes me think of outdoor summer parties-albeit expensive ones with champagne on tap-whilst the plumeria adds a tropical aspect to the scent. The drydown of this scent has the most genuine and recognisable pear note I’ve smelt in a BPAL. I like it a lot and will keep the imp-I don’t need a bottle yet though.