Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Figs and Fig Scents - alone and in combos

*smacks self* Yes strangler fig would probably be a smart thing to try.

And thanks for mergin the threads! How foolish of me not to think of "figgiest"! I just went back and read everything. I actually have Eden on my desk waiting to be tried so i'll have to test that one next! Also I know I've tried Gomorrah but wasn't a fan. Can't remember why at the moment..and I dont' even remember the fig in it!

Also, here's hoping for more fig scents in the future!

Tweedledee is nice--more fruits than just fig (very tropicall and lovely). I can definitely smell the fig, espeically later in the drydown.

Those of you who love fig and have not yet tried TREAT #2 need to go ahead and sell a kidney and get your hands on a bottle. :P Here's the description: A fine confection for discriminating trick or treaters: a fig meat, coconut, and buttercream bonbon rolled in orange rind, mint leaf, cardamom, clove and ginger, dipped in milk chocolate.

This is one of the most beautiful fig scents I have ever tried... and one incredible BPAL blend. It does smell like a bonbon, but somehow more sophisticated than I expected it to.

And it is fig-fig-figgy!

I just received Strangler Fig a few days ago, and YUM! It's a very green, plant-like, fresh fig scent.

Gomorrah still has my win for favorite fig scent...it starts out slightly overripe, but dries to an amazing sort of fig/date-incense scent. Its a wonderfully dark, dusty, sultry blend.

Eden, on me, was Thai coconut milk soup with cilantro. Yeah, I'm just as confused as you are. Nephilim was more tamarind than fig, but the two scents are in a similar family to my nose -- I really wish there were mor tamarind scents. Nemesis didn't let the fig shine under all the cypress, but it added a nice earthiness to the background. Carnal was just weird air-freshener and no fig on me :-( I really do need to try Intrigue, and possibly look for an imp of Perfumed Garden; I've seen that wandering around quite a few places.

According to a quick search through my database, there are several GCs with Fig: Dragon's Heart, Nephilim, Nemesis, The Apothecary, Carnal, Hetairae, Eden, Gomorrah, Hanging Gardens, Intrigue, Mata Hari, Strangler Fig and Tweedledum. And, of course, Freak Show, Cerberus and King of Clubs.

Looks like its been a while since the Fig scents have been reviewed.

Interestinly, most of my favorite scents have some fig in them--Cerberus and Freak Show being top LE's and I love Apothecary, Carnal, Dragon's Heart and Hetairae. Intrigue is great and I like Stangler Fig. Gomorrah and Nephilim both had something spicey in it that messed up the figaliousness, and Mata Hari smelled too much like coffee. Hanging Gardens was toooo fruity, couldn't smell the fig very well. Tweedledum I am fond of but again, the fig is drowned out by other notes.

I guess I have to add King of Clubs now to the list of impossible rares I will have to collect!

I love fig, but a lot of the fig scents have other notes that go all wrong on me.

Mata hari is the most notable stand out for utter badness on my skin. Strangler Fig is one of my favorites -- is there something similar to *that* but maybe with some darkness or sandalwoody-ness?

theal8r, I was just popping in here to post a comment about an old favorite I rediscovered, and I realized it actually might be a good candidate for what you are looking for.

I have a bottle of Nemesis I bought almost 3 years ago and I hadn't pulled it out and worn it in what seems like months - it has really gotten gorgeous with a little age on it! I always liked it, and like so many BPAL blends it's richer and yummier now.

Nemesis has tons of fig but it's tempered with woody and spicy notes (the description says "cypress, ginger, fig, dried rose, red patchouli, tonka bean and cyclamen"). It's not as green or bright a fig as Strangler Fig, but it's lovely nonetheless.

I love fig but some of the blends just go crazy on me... Carnal was just completely and unmistakably dried figs stewed in orange juice -- this would be my pick for "the figgiest". Nemesis is the best thing ever, though. Fruity but not foody, dark, warm, herbal, gingery, totally badass. The notes in order of dominance: fig, cypress, ginger, tonka, everything else. Dragon's Heart is probably a good bet too, if you can wear dragon's blood, which I can't.

Gomorrah just smelled funky and wrong...burnt, maybe, or mildewy? Not either really, but *wrong* somehow. Not sure what was wrong with it, but I could barely smell the fig. I couldn't find it in Hetairae (too floral), Hanging Gardens (too much stuff), Mata Hari (JASMINE), or The Apothecary (which was still really nice, actually, but smelled more like apples for some reason).

(eta: Octopod speaking)

Edited by septima_pica

If you like Carnal, you would like Treat 2. It is hard to get a hold of, but it is full of figgy love with just a little coconut added and a touch of chocolate. I absolutely love it!

Oddly, Strangler Fig did not smell figgy at all to me. I loved the figs in Hanging Gardens and Carnal (Carnal makes a particularly nice bath scent) but I guess I don't process green fig as "fig".

:P I think Aeronwen is the fig blend that even people who don't like fig should try - in fact, even if you think you don't like one or all of the elements in Aeronwen, you should at least give it a try. It's one of those blends that, for me, was impossible to imagine what it would smell like, and it's hard to compare to any other blend. But it is absolutely fantastic!

Hey all...its been a while since people talked FIG. But I'm wondering what currently available scents have a strong sweet fig scent. I'm talkin Fig Newton foodie fig delicious...please give me some recs...

Hey all...its been a while since people talked FIG. But I'm wondering what currently available scents have a strong sweet fig scent. I'm talkin Fig Newton foodie fig delicious...please give me some recs...

Girl, hurry up & grab at least a decant of A Nocturnal Reverie from among the 2011 Halloweenies--the fig in it is such the sticky-sweet lick your fingers figgy goodness and really comes through on the skin & dry down. I love this scent. :yum:

Also, The Grave Pig is one of my all-time favorites and pairs the sweet fig with some gorgeous spicy earthiness and on me at least ends up smelling so delicious I could call it a foodie scent--even though, strictly speaking, it's not ;)

I also get quite a bit of honey-drizzled sweet ripe fig from Berry Moon 2009 (but I could just be amping fig, who knows)--it might be worth a try, and though not "currently available" from the Lab catalog it's pretty easy to find here!

Thanks for the recs rivercitylizzy. I am outta money right now but if I get more I definately might try A Nocturnal Reverie :wub2:

Thanks for the recs rivercitylizzy. I am outta money right now but if I get more I definately might try A Nocturnal Reverie :wub2:

You are most welcome! Always happy to enable a fellow BPALer ;) Have you checked out livejournal? I've noticed some folks selling decants of it there and even some decant circles here and on LJ still have slots open for decants of A Nocturnal Reverie (most seem to charge between 3.50 and 4.25 for a decant).

Heiteare is dark, chewy fig!

Oh, that is SO on my wishlist!! :yum:

Carnal is a nice fig scent too. The mandarin is warm and sweet but the fig takes center stage. I second grave pig and hetairae.

Athens was totally Fig Newton to me. I think I sent you some Vanilla?

That one wasn't in my little gift you sent me. ;)

I got some Molly Grue coming my way from a forum member...what do you all think of that fig note? Been obsessing over The Last Unicorn scents lately... :D

No one's mentioned Nonae Caprotina yet... boy, is this FIG and MILK galore. If you don't mind the milk, I'd say it even trumps Carnal's fig.