Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

How about White Rabbit versus Dorian, which one has more of the black tea smell?

To me, Dorian does. I hated White Rabbit and love Dorian - it's what I had hoped White Rabbit would smell like.

Shanghai and Embalming Fluid both smell strongly of green tea... Embalming Fluid is stronger/had more staying power and was more of a 'green' scent on me. They both make me want to grab a glass of green tea with lemon though.

White Rabbit is an awesome, authentic black tea with hints of honey. A nice, clean fragrance.

The Dormouse was also tea... but this one always struck me as being more herbal.

Sudha Segara is one of my faves, so much so that I bought 10 ml during the Summer of Poofiness. It is tea with ginger, and gives you vibes for a peaceful day. And to answer your question it is fairly strong on me.

Other faves are Satan w/Sin&Death - not too tart tea but well blended and more of a perfume than a single tea note. And for LE's: Spirits of the Dead is extremely hoardable and beats out Holiday Moon for me. Of these, Holiday Moon is the strongest but can be puckery.

As for the other GCs: had a bottle of Kumiho and wore it a lot - it is on the tart side. Have a few imps of Embalming Fluid, and love it but consider it more of an aromatic citrus. Of the two, Kumiho was stronger.

Hope this helps.

Dorian, by far, smells the most strongly like tea on my skin. It's earl grey sweetened with milk and sugar. Though the tea might've actually come out more strongly in Theodosius, now that I think about it.

I've tried and like a lot of tea scents, but the one that seems the most "tea" to me is Gennivre.

Severin is pretty much black tea on me because the leather notes never develop on my skin. I'd like to second White Rabbit for a beautiful black tea note with milk and just a touch of honey. Embalming Fluid is very nice for green tea but it is heavy on the lemon.

I love tea scents and have so many imps. last night i sat down and tried them all to see which i loved best.

The truest tea scent that i have found is definitely Gennivre L'artiste du Diable

It smells just like a hot cup of black tea with honey. It's really very lovely and unassuming. at first i was "eh" about it but the second time i tried it i adored it. this actually might be edging out my beloved, Dorian.

DORIAN...oh Dorian. :P

need i say more about this one?

I found White Rabbit and The Dormouse to be too light for my tastes but nonetheless gorgeous.

Spirits of the Dead is my favorite LE tea scent. I try not to wear it often before bed because i've found that everytime i do i dream of dead loved ones. Sometimes I just don't want those visits, y'know?

I wasn't a huge fan of HOliday Moon and I rarely reach for it. Not bad just not as good as some other tea scents.

Shanghai is my favorite green tea scent. it's awesome in the summer.

Dorian is a very sugary tea. The Castle smells a lot like green tea ice cream once it dries. I got some Pit & The Pendulum (sorry, but it's not sold by BPAL anymore) that has a faintly black tea undertone. Um...shoot what was it? I think Ravenous? I reviewed one somewhere that smelled like orange spice tea. And Snow Moon reminds me of a mint medly tea.

For something non-BPAL (please don't stone me!) I find that Arcana's "Mutiny" smells VERY similar to Lapsang Suchong tea. Great on my skin...not so much in an oilburner...and it's not for everyone.

I get the strongest black tea note from White Rabbit - but Spirits of the Dead is my second favorite. I love Kumiho in the summertime, and Dorian is sweet and vanilla-y tea nirvana.

I need to wear Gennivre another time or two to get a good feel for her - I smelled all 15 bottles in my CD order in quick succession and haven't made it back around to giving Gennivre a day to herself.

For refreshing green tea, nothing beats Shanghai for me. I don't get any tea at all from Sudha Segara though - just creamy honey and ginger.

Which scents are similar to Dorian's tea note? It smells wonderful!

The *tea* specifically reminds me of Severin, which I also like a great deal. It's a very different scent, however, with a note of leather instead of sugar. This seemed like a very odd combination to me--I would never have tried it if a friend hadn't bought it first--but it ended up becoming a favorite in the GC. It all depends on how leather works for you, however.

I love me some Dorian and Baobhan Sith - I've acquired some other ones to try but they're on their way to me...White Rabbit, F5, Gennivre and Theodesius for example. I was wondering tho - Sudha Segara was mentioned - and while I love it, I didn't think it had tea in it? (Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.)

It doesn't have tea in it. Most kinds of tea have a citrus vibe, and ginger does as well. Many people serve tea with honey and milk. Ends up that Sudha Segera smells like unto a tea scent, but is not. Since people in recommendations are usually looking for ideas on *what* something smells like, things like Sudha usually sneak onto lists :P. Heck, I half think Maiden shouldn't be on the tea list, even tho it has it... it doesn't *smell* anything at all like rose tea (which I have an on-again off-again love affair with). It is a very refreshing rose scent due to the tea tho so...

Kalli

It doesn't have tea in it. Most kinds of tea have a citrus vibe, and ginger does as well. Many people serve tea with honey and milk. Ends up that Sudha Segera smells like unto a tea scent, but is not. Since people in recommendations are usually looking for ideas on *what* something smells like, things like Sudha usually sneak onto lists :P. Heck, I half think Maiden shouldn't be on the tea list, even tho it has it... it doesn't *smell* anything at all like rose tea (which I have an on-again off-again love affair with). It is a very refreshing rose scent due to the tea tho so...

Kalli

I like Sudha Segara a lot but totally don't get tea. I get something yummy, but not tea. I'm looking forward to White Rabbit especially. Hopefully Canada Post will speed up :D

Thanks for the recomendations! I do love Gennivre, but it's mostly musk and sugar cane on me. Not so much tea. I also love the uber-milked uber-sugared tea of White Rabbit, obtained on generous tea related suggestions. I'm looking to try Sudha Segera, too.

I was wondering if there's a BPAL scent (or even not BPAL, *gasp*) that's an un-diluted black tea. Strong strong English breakfast tea, yum. Would Dorian or Severin come close to the mark? (The leather in Severin scares me a wee bit)

I'm also getting a lot of tea from The Apothecary's dried tea leaves.

Edited by halcyon_flight

Thanks for the recomendations! I do love Gennivre, but it's mostly musk and sugar cane on me. Not so much tea. I also love the uber-milked uber-sugared tea of White Rabbit, obtained on generous tea related suggestions. I'm looking to try Sudha Segera, too.

I was wondering if there's a BPAL scent (or even not BPAL, *gasp*) that's an un-diluted black tea. Strong strong English breakfast tea, yum. Would Dorian or Severin come close to the mark? (The leather in Severin scares me a wee bit)

I'm also getting a lot of tea from The Apothecary's dried tea leaves.

Today I'm wearing Theodosious, The Legerdemain and I'm quite liking the tea blend, it's not quite as sweet as Dorian, but still nummy. I obtained White Rabbit as well, and from my quick test of it last night I would say it smells the strongest of tea of anything I've sniffed so far - but I haven't tried the Apothocary yet, it's on my list :P

Severin is very, very tea, but what you need to remember is that it's Earl Grey, so at least for me, the bergamot does stand out a bit.

The leather scared me off, too, but it's actually quite nice.

I've just had THE most amazing, delicate, perfumed pot of tea of my life, and I am determined to find its BPAL equivalent :D

According to the menu, it was Japanese 'femeninty tea' (or something like that - I'm translating -badly- from the Spanish): it had sencha tea leaves, rose petals and other 'traditional Japanese ingredients'. I'm pretty sure there was cherry blossom in it.

The smell was slightly fruity, slightly rosy, and slightly musky. I thought Kabuki and Kyoto would be good blends to try, but I know they won't have that delicate rose scent - perhaps I should layer them with something? Or is there another blend that I'm completely overlooking? Tea blends don't normally work well on my skin, but if I found something that smelled like this, I wouldn't care - I'd use it on my skin, in a locket, in my house, on my clothes... :P

Edited by ivyandpeony
Tweaked title to help increase hits by search engine.

Cariad, I know the type of tea you're referring too -- I've had it as well, and I agree it smells awesome.

The closest BPAL scent I can think of, that's most similar to cherry-rose sencha, is Dragon Moon. It's not available anymore, but you might be able to find it in a swap or on eBay. In the general catalog, you could try Kabuki, Aizen-Myoo, Bewitched, the Hanging Gardens or Neo-Tokyo.

I'm not a big rose fan, but when you mentioned tea in the heading, I had to read anyway! I don't have any BPAL ideas for you, but just in case you don't have luck with oils, I wanted to suggest making a strong batch of the tea and pouring it through your hair after your conditioner. It's not strong enough for others to smell it usually, but being right by your face you get whiffs all day. :P

I've just had THE most amazing, delicate, perfumed pot of tea of my life, and I am determined to find its BPAL equivalent :P

According to the menu, it was Japanese 'femeninty tea' (or something like that - I'm translating -badly- from the Spanish): it had sencha tea leaves, rose petals and other 'traditional Japanese ingredients'. I'm pretty sure there was cherry blossom in it.

The smell was slightly fruity, slightly rosy, and slightly musky.

Mmmm, yes, I've had that lovely tea.

Sadly, the only BPAL that comes to mind is Alice (milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot), which is more of a sweet and spicy Earl Grey rather than an Asian tea.

There's Dragon Moon (dragon’s blood resin, tea leaf, bamboo reed, sandalwood and cherry blossom) and Bakeneko (warm amber musk, Satsuma tangerine, black tea leaf, cardamom, cherry blossom and cinnamon) but both lack the rose and the more delicate quality of the tea.

I second the notion of tracking down a bottle of Dragon Moon. It smells a lot like green tea and cherry blossoms to me. However I bet that if you can't find it Neo Tokyo would be a good substitution.