Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

i love the smell of clove cigarettes (okay, whatever, i love clove cigarettes) and i love the hint of leather one gets from an old leather coat in the beginning of autumn. which, of course, leads to loving to smoke clove cigarettes while wearing my leather coat in the beginning of autumn.

is there any bpal that smells like this? to simplify, i'd be totally happy with a scent that smells like cloves. has anyone tried thesweet clove single note? there's only one review in the section. i have some clove scents pending (three witches, among others i can't remembe right now) but i'm mostly curious to find out if it might be worth it for me to order a 5ml of the sweet clove before it's discontinued. in terms of the leather, i prefer the hint of leather i get off of something like tintagel. i've never tried any of the scents that list leather as an aspect or note.

any recommendations?

Well, for leather scents, De Sade is delicious. Just delicious. And if plain leather doesn't suit you, it's so easy to layer with other scents... Another leather scent I adore is Wanda, which has this musky red wine scent with leather and florals. Very strong and heady. (and must be one of the few scents with wine and roses that actually works on me!)

Clove....well, Penance just reviewed Perversion and mentioned it smelled like clove cigarettes. Which is promising. I've been dying to try out Perversion. Other clove scents? In Jack, I can barely smell the clove at all. Voodoo, it's noticeable, but not as noticeable as the vanilla and lime and almond. Three Witches is great, because it's primarily clove and cinnamon, and you can barely smell the white pepper. Oh, and March Hare and Old Port-Au-Prince -- these two are great. The clove in MH smells delicious and the clove in OPAP (what a weird looking acronym!) smells great. Like Christmas. Mmmm... Also, the clove in Seraglio is pretty nice, but overpowered by the rose, in my opinion.

So yeah...I guess that the sweet clove scent is just really good smelling. From the scents that I've tried with it in there...

:D

I was just going to say Perversion, too! I adore the smell of clove cigarettes and Perversion is perfect...at least in my humble opinion. :P

~ Penance

yay! thanks for the recommendations. (you guys are fast. or maybe just as bored at work as i am... :P )

clearly i have to try perversion. i sniffed an imp of wanda i ordered for a friend and didn't like it. too too sweet. march hare sounds awesome. i think i might order a bottle of the sweet clove to use for layering. i can think of a number of scents that might benefit (imo) from a clove boost.

heh. i don't even remember what i ordered. i do that on purpose - place a big order and then throw out the list so i can be surprised when i receive it. i know i did a search on clove and ordered a bunch of those oils, so who knows, i might have my perfect scent arriving at my door sometime in the near (hopefully soon omg cannot wait for packages so impatient) future. :D

You might want to try French Creole before it's gone, it's very strong on the clove at first, then some nutmeg comes out. Have you tried Hellfire yet? It doesn't have clove but it has that smoky, boozy, just a touch of leather thing going on that you might like. If you layered it with the clove bud single note, it might be perfect. It's a lot stronger than Perversion, though.

oo, clove and nutmeg sounds awesome. i sniffed hellfire from the imp i ordered for a friend and didn't like it much. but my nose was in overdrive and if she doesn't like it i might see if i can get it back.

...I just tried layering Perversion and Sweet Clove...it's quite a nice leather-and-clovey scent, though I've never actually smelled clove cigarettes, so I can't guarantee that one, but this is certainly a combo I'm going to wear again, so thanks for the inspiration!

You might also want to try Loviatar. It's got a leather-thing going on too- sort of like leather with a slight powdery edge. I was shocked by how much of an old-leather-coat smell it had (in a good way, of course :P )

...I just tried layering Perversion and Sweet Clove...it's quite a nice leather-and-clovey scent, though I've never actually smelled clove cigarettes, so I can't guarantee that one, but this is certainly a combo I'm going to wear again, so thanks for the inspiration!

you're welcome! hopefully i'll be able to manage it myself some day. :P

What's the most clove-y BPAL blend? I love love love love cloves but I haven't found anything that really has a strong clove component (at times, my skin makes Blood Kiss scream cloves, but vetiver-y cloves. So I'm not completely satisfied.) Whether it's just a strong clove note, or something that has a cloves "vibe", do please let me know!

definitely try march hare (if you like apricot) and blood. blood could be potentially very clovey on the right skin chemistry. i didn't get much clove in three witches, but you might try it. my skin doesn't really amp up the clove factor in anything. i can't even smell it in blood kiss. -shrug-

Whereas I just got Three Witches today and my body chem is amp'ing the clove BIG TIME. Fortunately I find that pleasant (I figured that between my love of cinnamon, clove and pepper, there was little way that particular scent could go wrong) on me this scent screams it out loud and clear.

clove is one of those scents i'm very neutral towards. it doesn't make me go, "ooooh," and it doesn't make me go, "ewww!" if you want straight up clove, definitely go for the ones i suggested. if you like beth's wine component, madrid might be up your alley.

Edited by diabolique

clove is one of those scents i'm very neutral towards. it doesn't make me go, "ooooh," and it doesn't make me go, "ewww!" if you want straight up clove, definitely go for the ones i suggested. if you like beth's wine component, madrid might be up your alley.

I do! Madrid is one of those scents I just kind of ignored but that sounds PERFECT for me and just shot to the top of my mental wishlist.

I'll admit it's a nostalgic vibe for me. Fifteen-years-old, using my college ID (since the bouncers figured that meant I had to be eighteen, right?) to get into the only under 21 dance club in town (also the only goth club in town, also the only non country/western club in town), and the smell of clove cigarettes everywhere. Even the smoke on the dance floor was scented with clove.

Anyway, yeah, Dia has the goods on this. :P

I'll second Madrid, the clove was very strong, and fought constantly with the red wine on my skin.

Malice is listed as ylang ylang, clove, Indonesian red patchouli, and dark myrrh. It's very wonderful and spicy, but doesn't really scream clove. It'd more of one of those vibe ones. :P

Also, if you can get your hands on it, the single note sweet clove (sadly discontinued), smells like my lips taste after I've had a clove.

Three Witches is the strongest BPAL oil with clove I've tried. I love Madrid, though the wine fragrance was stronger than the clove.

Good to see another clove fan. I've considered getting clove cigarettes just to burn as incense! I've got a whole bag of cloves from the Indian grocer's as well, and I'm just waiting to make something to unleash some clove action!

Wha-chaaaaa!

-doreen