Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

In the imp...lovely musk. A bit worried about this one because amber and I are not buddies.

On wet...nice, dry grass, with heightened musk and the tiniest sweetness from the amber. So far it's playing nice.

On dry...ooh, perhaps my fave amber blend so far. It is very much in the background, allowing the dry grasses, shifted by the wind, to bloom as the wonderful soft musk weaves its way sinuously through them. The amber provided just enough sweetness with a beautiful resin-y base.

All in all, finally an amber that works for me. Another keeper, but don't need s bottle!

Soft, warm grasses envelope a fuzzy, spicy muskiness with a soft leather undercurrent. This is quite lovely, but oh-so-similar on my skin to The Lurid Library that I'm not sure I can justify having both. Coyote is deeper and not quite as perfumey as The Lurid Library, but they both share that same warm leather + bright cologne + musk heart. I would say that if you can't get a hold on The Lurid Library, Coyote is a scent cousin to it if you wanted a similar replacement. I'll keep my imp but forgo a bottle as I don't like having scents too similar to each other in my stash.

Received this as a lagniappe in a decant circle and I have a feeling that the lovely decanter actually really looked at my "favorite notes" and "dealbreaker notes" list based on the two imps included :) :) :) Or else just lucky, because there were NO dealbreakers at all and many favorites. I had never tried this because, I guess, the "doeskin" might have scared me off.

IN THE IMP: Just SUCH a nice, fresh, green-and-gold scent.

Dabbed on one wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: This is absolutely lovely when wet. I'm not sure what doeskin is supposed to smell like, but there was nothing "animalistic" for lack of a better word for me. However, there was a definite sweetness to it that was at the forefront -- could have been the grasses, or indeed the doeskin. It's a subtle and outdoorsy scent with just a little spicy kick.

DRYDOWN: This got just a little too "cologney-perfumey" for me when it dried. It was not at all unpleasant or offensive, but probably because of that not something I'd reach for in a crowded box. Very short legs, by the way. It was "all goney" on me within about two hours.

OVERALL: I would call this gender-neutral but could definitely see it more as a guy scent than a girl scent, for some reason. If my husband were the type to ever wear cologne or scent, I would give him this imp in a heartbeat. But he's not, so instead I will add it to my swap box and make someone very happy. But I would be fine keeping it as well.

On a scale of 1-5, a high 3. Just not really me.

This is an aged imp but I am unsure of it's age.

In the bottle: Mmm, amber and musk. I get an impression of something sweet, like berries, but I have no idea why.

On my skin: Comforting musk and gentle woods in the distance. It actually reminds me of casanova right now. A couple of minutes later it shifts to a sweet sunny day. I can picture myself in the green grass under a gentle sun, but I can't smell any grass or any sun on my skin.

Drydown: Sweet berries and a very faint musk.

Edited by Kashi

In imp amber and musk.

wet on skin, similar to scent from imp but with faint green note change that seems like sage but not as strong sort of did ghost of sage. There are also some faint wood tones, I want to say perhaps rosewood. This is very nice it comes out of the imp with all of the notes present and very nicely balanced. I hope it continues this way and does not morph to something odd. If it stays like this I would very much like to own a bottle.

Blind test. Oil in the imp is light brown.

In Vitro Resiny and sweet.

Wet Resin, spice, and... sandalwood? In the first few minutes this had a "dry" quality that reminded me of Plunder, but that quickly receded leaving a nice sweet resin scent.

Drying Ten minutes on this smelled like a combination of resins and florals. It was still nice but faded after half an hour.

Coyote had been on my list of candidates for a long time but I put off ordering it because I was scared of musk (curse you, Robin Goodfellow!) The actual scent on me was okay but compared to my expectations it was a great disappointment. I will use up the imp though.

This is a very subtle scent at first. I get light musk and some sort of resin, which smells a bit spicy. The grasses are dry and warm. Not getting any amber, but perhaps it's helping to sweeten this and give it some glow.

Something puts me off the more Coyote dries. I get more and more of a white floral component, which smells commercial and kind of baby powder-ish. Don't know what's causing it but it's definitely not my thing.

Warm amber and dark musk. Maybe a very faint touch of leather? Also a hint of sweet dried grass. This is a bit perfumey as well, but definitely unisex. It's kind of snuggly and comforting. I really like this, but it's just not something I'd wear. I'm glad I tried this, it's great!

I was a little worried putting it on. Like Robin Goodfellow (which I also love), this one starts out a bit like a sharp men's cologne on me. But then it warms up. And "warm" is the word for it. Warm like dust on a calm summer day, with a woodfire burning the next field over. Something soft and sweet that kinda makes me think of those smudge bundles (never actually bought one--too hard to verify where they're from around here). A tiny, soft hint of suede, like a pair of dusty boots. Warm, golden brown, very very soft, and just a little bit wild underneath.

I love this. I keep sniffing my wrist. It doesn't last quiet as long as Robin Goodfellow does on me, but hints of it stay throughout most of the work day. This might be my second skin scent. I need a bottle. Stat.

I've been dying to try this as a GC alternative to my beloved Buck Moon. In the imp and wet, this is mostly amber with the same super-skin-musk-dust as Buck Moon. A great start! Hopefully the amber will calm down as it dries.

And it does! This is amazingly similar to Buck Moon on me, but with a slightly spicier and more aquatic feel. Going to try this one out for a few more spins to see if it's a true keeper.

I received this as a frimp and although I didn't initially like the scent in the bottle, once I put it on my entire perspective changed.

Bottle: Sharp with a sweet scent so thick I feel like I'm almost chewing on it.

Wet: Wow! The sharpness goes away almost immediately and the sweetness dies down to a lovely soft musk.

Dry: Warm and sweet. There's definitely a sense of dust like summer heat but it's not the kind that literally seems to dry out the inside of your mouth as you smell it. It's definitely of more a sense of warmth than of dryness. Its sweet and spicy like bundles of dried grass and herbs. It doesn't really smell "animalistic" to me at all. My skin actually seems to be amping the musky sweetness so although it does have a masculinity, I think it could be very gender neutral. I could wear this with a dress.

Unfortunately it does seem to have a very short lifespan on me. It's already fading and there isn't much throw at all. It's such a lovely scent, though, that I'm willing to give it a solid go. I love the idea of walking around in a lovely golden cloud of this scent.

Edited by SimplySyra

In the imp: Warm, slightly spicy amber.

Wet on my skin: MMmmmmm. Warm, dusty amber. It's slightly sweet.

Dry: As this dries, it warms further, and it's ohsoniiiice. The amber and musk are reminiscent of Haunted on me, but are joined by a hint of soft brown leather and a rustle of sweet, dry prairie grasses. It's a warm, fuzzy, dusty, brown scent, and so far it's the best out of the frimps that came with my recent order. May order a bottle sometime!

In the imp: Something in this is familiar, but I can't place it in the imp It's sweeter than I thought it would be. Maybe it's the musk accompanied by a spiced amber note?

Wet: I get the sweet, musky smell that I got from the imp at first, but then the scent takes on more of a dry feel as it sits on my skin. Perhaps that's the dry grasses note, or the soft woods. I think I know what the 'something familiar' is. I think it's the Egyptian Amber note from The Lion.

Dry: Smooth, spiced amber, musk, and a soft, dry aspect that my nose is not adept enough to say whether it is the doeskin, dry grasses, or soft woods.

Verdict: Hmm. This one is nice. I really like the combination of the amber and musk in this one. I don't think I need a bottle (since I already have a bottle of The Lion, which I think contains this amber note), but I think I'll hold onto my imp.

Wet: Sweet and musky. Somehow dry. A bit spicy. Rich.

Dry: Iz niiice. Iz real nice.

It's hard for me to pick out notes though. I get some amber (but not crazy amped amber like I sometimes get, which is great) and maybe some sandalwood. It's sweet and creamy. Bit spicy. It's warm and comforting. I can see wearing this in the winter for sure.

Amber, golden musk, and sweet dried plants (woody, grassy notes.)

Long-lasting, utterly sweet and desirable. I love Coyote.

This one immediately reminds me of the dry, dusty note in a lot of the BPAL book scents, but the spicy touch from the woods makes Coyote distinct. I thought this might be too dry at first because of said note and the woods, but there's a something I can't quite place that keeps it from being too dry. Maybe it is the musk? Not really for me as these spicier scents usually aren't, but still very pretty.

Bottle: Soft amber, grasses and musk.
Wet: Mostly the amber, which seems to have a soft French vanilla in it? And a fragrant skin musk. The background is a bed of dry grasses and some sort of woods or herbals. All very soft and nothing is pick-out-able for me.
Dry: A close-to-the-skin, cozy mix of ambery musk and grasses. Not strong to begin with, and goes faint after an hour or two.

Like Haunted, this is mostly an amber-musk combo, and that works for me. Yet they have entirely different moods. Coyote is more comforting and natural. I likey.

In the imp and wet on my skin, this smells exactly like Dr. Pepper. Weird!
As it dries down, though, it quickly turns into a dry, brown, fuzzy, woodsy musk. I'm getting just a hint of brown leather. The scent as a whole feels very comfortable, like a really broken in leather jacket that has taken on the scent of its wearer's perfume.
It's nice, I'm just not sure if it's really "me."

Wet I got a strong cherry-almond note, which became a spicy amber. The musk is really soft and snuggly. Everything about this is soft. It's dry and dusky and just a little sweet (maybe a little vanilla?), makes me think of soft taupe, terracotta, and dusty pinks. A nice summer evening scent to me.

In the imp: My immediate thought was "hmm, how do all these notes combine to read as Dr. Pepper???", while my boyfriend took one sniff and immediately said "wet fur, like when the cats come in out of the rain!" (This is without him knowing the name or description.) Here's hoping for more of the latter than the former.

Wet: After an initial blast of worrying cola, it settles into, yes, a cuddly, fuzzy, brown scent. It gives me an oddly precise scent memory: I used to have a massive brown faux fur blanket on my bed that was incredibly warm and cozy in winter, and my cats used to sleep on top of it, giving it a certain...realistic fur odor, shall we say. Unfortunately it was stolen from the laundromat many a year ago, but this is basically it in scent form. Amber provides cozy, warm sweetness, the musk reminds me of my kitties, and the woods, leather, and grasses lurk at the base, not distinguishable as themselves but giving an overall impression of gentle outdoorsiness.

Dry: An absolutely gorgeous, musky amber, actually quite similar to Haunted. But unlike Haunted, Coyote is complicated by herbal, leathery overtones that round the scent out wonderfully.

With this, I'm pretty sure my skin hates amber. This should be exactly the kind of scent I love, and it was shaping up to be a wonderful dry, deserty sort of wood scent, but then the amber started amping to an absurd degree and now it's all warm milk and baby powder. As with Dragon's Blood, my arm is also itching a bit. This will be going on the swap pile.

This is such a warm, cozy scent. Usually one of the given notes isn't detectable by my nose in any given scent due to the strength of the others. In this one, I really get everything. When it's wet, it's a little more musky and leathery. Once it dries, though the grasses, woods, and amber step up to make themselves known. The leather and musk never go away, but provide a nice base. It's like laying out on a pelt in a prairie. It's really nice and comforting.

I got this scent a long, long time ago as part of my very first BPAL order. It's since become my favorite.

In the vial: Fresh vegetation, kinda grassy. Amber and musk are definitely forefront. Warm and ticklish and a little sharp. Perfume-y is the only word I can use. It put me off at first sniff, to be honest.

Wet: Warm and resinous and soft. Something a little sweet, buried way deep down. The amber agrees with me greatly and the vegetation smell disappears entirely which is kind of a shame but it smells so lovely I can't mind.

Dry: The amber and musk still stick out, but they're soft and subtle on my skin. I get the barest whiff of the dry grass and warm doeskin. There is something sharp here still, I think it might be the "woods" note trying to assert itself.

Overall I love love love Coyote! It never fails to smell lovely on me, and it's my go-to for sophisticated nights out on the town - and whenever I need a little go-get-em boost.

My only complaint is that it only lasts an hour or two on me, and even then it's very faint. BUT that's twice as long as most other fragrances last on me - my skin devours all.

Oh Coyote. I'm hoping you get better with age, because unfortunately a fresh imp of you went play doh on me on the dry down.

Play doh aside, it is a lovely scent. It's soft musk and amber, dry grasses. Sweet and warm. This scent smells wonderfully furry and soft. It does hang close to the skin and doesn't last long, but it's a scent I'd want to keep personal anyway.

I'm just hoping with age, the play doh goes away.