Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Fire of Love

A catalytic, potent love oil used to spark (or rekindle) the flame of desire between lovers.

I have had this particular one for a while...in fact, I think it was my first BPAL scent. I bought it at a time when my sexual desire was acting rather comatose, and needed a bit of oomph. If only my husband had been home when it arrived... :P

It is dark, sensual, arousing, lusting, and erotic. Every sniff stirs desires that have been hiding far too long. If you ever need a boost in your love life, give the Fire of Love a try...let the scent entrap you in it's longing kiss, and feel those flames of desire burning within.

A hot, swollen, engorged scent of strong ginger. There's something else behind this, perhaps white pepper and musk, but this perfume almost heats up on your skin, it's so warming. HOT!

On me, this felt summer-afternoon hot, not smouldering-sex-kitten hot.

It's the smell that goes with when you're first seeing someone, and you have so much to talk about, all the time, so you go on a date to the park in the summer, kick back in the grass, with your arm thrown over your eyes, and it feel like the most awesome date *ever*. (I had a number of dates like this in high school, and then actually had one again last summer, and I'm 24)

Oh, and the ginger-ness of this scent is delicious.

FIRST SNIFF: lemon?

WEARING IT: a faint lemony scent merged with light herbs and spice. this is such a light scent, i keep sniffing and trying to pin-point what the main ingredient is. it could be ginger. this is a very appealing scent, it's not overpowering, or demanding - just sensual with spice on the side. i really like it. i'm trying it out tonight, as i've been in a bit of a slump lately, and i'll update with how it goes! time to put this stuff to the test :P

UPDATE: it's been put to the test! kevin was in the mood and i wasn't, so i thought well why not! i slathered this stuff on me and kevin put on haitian lover - we gave it a little while to sink in and it DID have an effect. i went from not being in the mood in the least (i'm sick with a cold too, so that contributed) to having a really fun time. so...fire of love, worked for me!

Edited by any_old_actress

Ooh. Not a good ooh for me, either. :P

Definite musk in this, and I have that feral smell plus a bit of baby diaper wafting off me. I want to like this; there seems to be a hint of ginger, plus some soft and wooden warmth underneath the pungent musk smell.

This could be great if I could bear the "animal in-heat" tones that are in it, but I think that's more of a reflection on my chemistry's poor reaction to most musk notes, rather than on the scent itself. I wouldn't, however, recommend it to those who don't care for the pungency of musky scents.

My experience with Fire of Love pretty much mirrored jj_j's. It's warm and hot, probably from the ginger. While O is the afterglow of sex, this makes me think of what's done that leads to sex. However, I can't get over the musky overtones...I keep on waiting for a cat or dog to come and hump me (luckily, I don't have pets). Getting this was good, because now I know I'm not entirely fond of musk.

First Impression: Heat, it smells like heat.

Second Impression: On the skin this is warm, peppery and very earthy/musky. I didn't like it on my skin, though it doesn't smell like civet, per se it gives that same feeling.

Final Analysis: My friend who is always trying to rouse her man is going to get this and hopefully love it.

Unfortunately this just smelled of creosote on me. I say unfortunately, because despite my disliking the scent, it had the desired effect, shall we say! But I just can't cope with smelling like a garden fence, so this will have to go to the swaps pile for me.

It smelled like pine to me-- Pine Sol to be exact.

Well, not so bad in the bottle, but that's what my skin turned it into. Ick.

My boyfriend said it smelled like Goodwill. o_O

Needless to say, it didn't do much for either of us.

To the swaps pile.

Weirdly for me, this smells like bad breath. Like I'm kissing someone with bad breath, to be exact. (And I know it's not my breath, because I've got Phobos on the other wrist and it doesn't smell like bad breath at all. ) There's another aroma under the bad breath one, but I can't really get past the bad breath one.

It's very strange.

Not sure of the effect it has, as the bf is sleeping and it smells too much like bad breath to really light a fire in me. I do feel like my glands are swollen. Like in my throat. But if that's an effect of the oil, it's really missed the mark on me. :P

Oh well. Guess I'll have to find another way to use it.

Fire of Love from Voodoo Blend, there wasn't any notes mentined. Going on wet I detected a note of musk,incense,and a spicy kick to it. Very strong for a hour then it became calm. I got the sniff of heat, it screamed amore!

After all it mellowed and became a enjoyable scent, I need a bigger bottle.

EDIT: This was originally posted in all caps. I didn't change the content, just made it stop screaming. --Shollin

Edited by Shollin

Huh. I don't get any ginger in this, though I love ginger and would like to. Definately animalistic....so I'm not convinced there isn't civet in it...at least it has a hint of Deimos and Allegory and other scents containing civet. And musk usuallly turns powdery one me--which I like--and this hasn't.

It also has a nice wood note though...and I can smell something very lightly citrusy...Its nice and very strong, but I can understand the bad reactions to it too...I'm kind of reacting to it like I do to caramel made from goats milk...I think I either love it or hate it...let me try it again....

Can't speak for its efficacy...only me and my dogs here at the moment....

At first sniff on my skin there seemed to be a lemony brightness with a rose scent in there somewhere but the rose disappeared after 2-5 minutes. There's definitely an off smell in there, I think xoe was spot on when she said it smells like "Bad Breath". It's too bad that that yukky note is there because there's a lemony scent that is powdery and warm like lemon chiffon and it's nice but unfortunately not nice enough to mask the other smell.

BOTTLE: Spicy spicy spicy in a head-clearing way but also VERY cedar! When I was growing up in an apartment in NYC, we had a walk-in closet where my mom would store her winter clothes (and also hide the Christmas and birthday presents) ... it was all lined in cedar and creatively called "the cedar closet" ... as soon as I smelled this imp, it brought to mind when I would go and sit cross-legged on the floor of this closet as a child.

Dabbed on wrists and crooks of arms ... I have never gone wrong with one of BPAL's cedar or resinous scents. Love 'em all.

WET: This actually burned a tiny bit in my crooks upon application but it was brief ... it is SO woody! (Not to be confused with woodsy) ... I know people are saying ginger, pepper, musk and that's probably all there but honestly, I am getting spicy hot wood (not to be confused with a forest fire).

DRYDOWN: Still resinous and woody. Quite strong so I'd be careful about where I wore this, since I can imagine there will be people who don't like it ... but I love it. It would make a great candle or room freshener as well.

Woody notes are the only notes, including the normally troublesome vetiver and civet, that do not behave on me. I can see how some people get sensual vibes from this blend when I sniff it in the bottle, but on me it is all old, dry cedar.

This smells like an older man. I've actually encountered men who smell like this -- it's like cologne charged with sexual energy. I was very uncomfortable from smelling this, even a little emotionally disturbed. This is just me, but Fire of Love gave me the same bad feeling I got from reading one page of Lolita. This really creeped me out.

Fire of Love, I tell you what I dont know for sure if this one has that funky civet in it but it sure smells like it. :P I dont think I like this one. :D

High hopes for this, as Red Devil worked like crazy for me.

On, I thought it smelled pretty nice. Spicy and warm.. so far, so good! But my chemistry found a smoky note and pulled it out. WAY out. All I could smell was tobacco - like cigars. Now, I actually like the smell of cigars, but as a perfume, not so much. And since Red Devil satisfies all my romping needs, I'll pass on this.

Definitely a very musky, woodsy, peppery scent. I think this would work much better with my husbands chemistry than mine. It just sort of smells like wet wood on my skin. (which I don't think was the point of this oil) :P

Got that faint herbal oddness that all the voodoo blends have in the vial to me and.. sadly... not much else of interest after that. I don't use the blends in ritual, which may be part of my problem, but all I got off htis was lots and lots and lots of baby powder. So sweet that it made my stomach turn. Gahhh... I hate it when my chemistry does this. Swaps off to swaps!

Fire of Love - this smelled strange in the bottle but I dabbed some on anyway. Within three minutes I was running for the sink to wash it off. What did it smell like, you wonder? The English language does not have words sufficient enough to describe this scent. Now, I do have an insane body chemistry due to my diet, failing internal organs, and climate. I have been known to take a perfectly good rose or wine scent and turn it into noxious fumes, and mint nigh makes me faint for some reason. I don't even know what note exactly it was in this because I couldn't pick out any individual scents, it was just like being whacked upside the head with a mallet made of wrongness. On the upside, if I were a supervillianess and you needed to put a stop to my reign of terror, all you would need to do is buy a ton of Fire of Love from your friendly neighborhood super-lab, dig a moat around my fortress and pour it in. I would emerge 10 minutes later waving a white flag and weeping like a little girl. I do hope I figure out what note it is in this that upsets my stomach so, so that I can avoid it in the future. Damn my body chemistry! :P

Hated enemy

You are neither fire nor love

But my undoing

I love this one. It's very woody, with a note that I recognize but can't put my finger on. It's sexy in a subtle way. Now that I've found how well this woody scent works on me I'll have to try some others, and it's made me curious about the "fire" scents. It doesn't seem to last long though, or maybe my skin is eating it up for some reason.

Edited by enigmae

so odd. i tried fire of love this morning, and had to stop myself from running to wash it off. i swear it smelled like used baby diapers on me. and then i come here to check the reviews, and how strange that two other forumites had the same thing happen. i think part of it was initially a powdery scent that overlayed the funk below.

the diaper smell faded away after a while, but the scent still is no good on me. i don't know what it is because my sniffer isn't sophisticated enough yet to pick out the notes i don't like. i thought there might be vetivert in there, but i can't be sure.

it is a very wiley smell, too. its almost as if there are physical layers to it. . . the first layer, i get with the first sniff, is a cedar smell. the second layer, with the second sniff, is something herby. the third layer is a strange, animal cave smell.

sorry. i just can't like this one on me. :P and since i can't wear purfumes around my gf, i can't test whether it would have the intended "rekindling" effect.

I received this as a free imp from the lab with one of my orders and thought "ah ha! Perfect for Valentine's Day!" I was very surprised by the widely varying reviews of this, but I know from my own experience that it's extremely difficult to recognize what you're smelling without a kick in the right direction. I respect Beth's right to keep the ingredients of certain blends opaque, but sometimes it does make identification such a pain!

In the vial: Hmm. Something in this smells familiar. I am definately catching a dark spiciness. Cinnamon? Not sure. There's a woodsy smell, tobacco, and maybe a bit of incense (I'm quite bad about identifying patchouli-type blends), all of it layered over the blackest of musks. It smells wickedly sexual. I like it very much.

Wet, on skin: Oh, hey, there's that sharp cedar smell people describe, although I'm sure I've smelled this before...ah hah! Of course. This is very similar to Dracul. Not quite the same: no orange, no mint, no cumin, but I'd bet money that it's a dark musk with balsam/cedar and tobacco. Stroooong, but then, so is Dracul. There might even be leather in this, although its so strong, dark and well-blended that's its difficult for me to tell for certain.

Dry, on skin: This fades into that gorgeous smokey, sexual note in Dracul that makes me want to tie my boyfriend to the wrought-iron bed and slice off his clothing with a pocket knife. This is leather and animal lust, spanking boards and rampant passion. This is love is not gentle, nor kind, nor pure. This love is war, and takes no prisoners.

Conclusion: I found Dracul to be a flagrantly sexual blend, highly erotic and arrousing, and so it's no surprise to see these same notes here, and with that intended effect. It definately won't take the place of Dracul in my top ten, but if I ever find myself feeling that Dracul is a little too wishy-washy, I know just where to turn.