Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

White Rabbit

Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

wet the linen scared me, i don't like smelling clean :P

as it dried teh linen takes a break and it is honeyed, creamy teaw/ just a hint of pepper. nice...i may end up getting all the mad tea party blends.

As tends to happen with any scents with citrus in them, my skin chemistry amps up the lemon in this until I can smell nowt else. I'll occasionally put my nose up to it and get little whiffs of something softer and sweeter which I assume is the vanilla, enough to give a hint of what might be hiding under there, and then it's back to the lemon again. But those little hints are enough to persuade me not to swap it immediately, but to give it a couple of weeks and try again at a different time of the month. After all, what can you do with a White Rabbit but keep chasing it?

I wasn't really off to a good start with White Rabbit since I spilled my imp all over me while applying it for the first time (note to self: wait for the hand lotion to dry before grabbing an imp). Thank goodness it is a fairly light blend, otherwise I would be gasping for air by now!

White Rabbit starts off quite spicy, with an underlying milkiness. I can distinctly smell both the pepper and the ginger, while the blend becomes creamier and sweeter as it dries down. I didn't notice the tea note at first but all of a sudden I find myself daydreaming about a chai latte, so I suppose that the tea is present indeed, even if it is only on a subliminal level! :D

As I love tea scents, I was expecting to madly adore White Rabbit, but I have to say it isn't quite the case. It is a very nice blend, don't get me wrong, but on me it is a little too tame. A little too innocent.

Or maybe I just need to accept that even though I love the sound of them, creamy scents don't really work on me. Now that I think of it, they are quite hit-and-miss on my skin. So I will just try, say, a dozen more of them (it is all in the name of science, you see) and if they don't work either, then maybe I'll give them up :P

Stubborn, me? Noooooo :D

It has a nice black tea scent in the beginning then becomes cremey, which I don't like. It would be great to have a black tea oil that didn't have a cremey or fruity base to it. Oh, yeah and the vanilla isn't good for me either.

i liked the sound of all the notes in this, with the possible exception of the pepper. luckily, i didn't really detect the pepper at all. unluckily, the rest of this just didn't smell quite right on me. something about it was mildly headache inducing, and left me feeling generally unwell :P

very sad, as white rabbit had so much promise! luckily it is off to a home where it will be well loved.

In the bottle- all milk and honey, very, very sweet. Not really my cup of tea.

Wearing- speaking of tea...this is very much a black tea scent on me when I'm wearing it. It's gorgeous, smells just like a cup of black tea with milk. The scent is very fresh and very nice. Over time it mellows into a lovely tea and floral scent.

I love tea scents, and this is just gorgeous. It's something I want a big bottle of, for sure.

In the bottle: Honey, ginger and milk.

On me: Initially it's a huge blast of honey. Honey is just something that never works on me...

The linen notes come through and mingle with ginger, very sweet honey and milk. There is the tiniest faint black tea in the background. It's definitely black and not green, I love that about it but wish it showed more on my stupid skin.

For some time now, it smells almost too sweet. The honey is screaming at me and I'm screaming back. Nose....is...on...fire...!

Yet, finally it settles down and black tea is more prominant and I am left with sweet milky tea and lovely linen notes with the bite of ginger.

I think it smells beautiful.

Creamy rich with a refreshing kick.

In Bottle: Tea and vanilla.

On Skin: Yum. Tea and milk extreme. The pepper and ginger give it a dark warm spice. The honey and vanilla make it drip with sweetness. Very unique, I’ve never smelled a scent like this. Very comforting. I’m not too fond of the tea note since I don’t like tea, but I love the rest of the notes so much I think I’d wear this.

Disappointing.

Watery sweetness with no real character, fading to nothing on my skin within an hour.

No lovely black tea...no milk...just weak hints of sweet and plastic.

*sigh* I had such high hopes for this…

White rabbit... Fabulous!!!!

Wet On, I really smell the tea and a tiny bit of pepper.

As it dries the milk comes forward, as does a tiny bit of honey. This is just wonderful! I can detect vanilla but it is not overly sweet, nor is the honey note. The balance is fabulous! For those who wanted to love dana o'she but couldn't, this is your next try! Soft, gentle and incredibly well balanced, very soothing!!!! It lasts softly for hours, never an overwhelming scent but softly present.

Well, it's definitely tea! Not getting the spices at all to speak of, and R. says it smells like "bar soap", which is probably the "clean linen" component. Medium staying power -- it took several hours to fade. This is definitely not a chai or Indian tea scent, and I'm not sure whether it's enough different from Shanghai to bother with; I'll have to do a compare-and-contrast between them. Usually vanilla comes out fairly strongly on me, so I wonder where it is in this? Bottom line: not good, not terrible, probably worth keeping but not getting more.

the pepper really came out for me; it was a sharp, spicy scent. definitely made me think of "white". but not soft, floral, or wintery white. the white of expensive cotton paper, clean white cotton sheets, just white. and spicy white at that. too masculine for me, but would LOVE to smell this on a guy.

darnit, i'm gonna have to go man hunting, just to find a guy to slather with all of this stuff.

First sniff from the bottle- A very faint but sharp kick of ginger

After 10 minutes- Huh. I am not sure what to describe this as. There is milk in this which makes it almost undetectable to my nose, but I can make out something akin to Indian tea. Black tea, milk, lots of ginger and something else...I can't put my finger on. Oh wait...I think it is that 'dryer sheets' type smell BPAL uses so much. ::sniff sniff::. Yep. That would be the 'clean linen' I am smelling. This is what I was expecting Sudha Segara to smell like.

After 30 minutes- Indian tea and dryer sheets with pepper on top!

Summery- This one is actually quite a fascinating smell. I can't stop sniffing it because it is just so...different. I can't decide if I like it or not. I will hang on to the imp and give it another try later.

What was it that I hated in this when I first sniffed it? I can barely even remember because it is so so good now.

I think it was that I couldn't smell the tea. I wanted the strong tea I saw in the description, the wonderful aroma of a tin of loose dry tea, and it wasn't there at all.

In the bottle, I smelled strong linen, sweetened with honey. The mixture was overwhelming to me, sickening, even after I put a small amount on my wrists and closed the lid. Then, as it dried, something magical happened. The linen faded into the background like a proper teatime tablecloth and a sweet mixture of honey and milk came up with a whiff of black tea. The last lingering scent before it all went away (it lasted from morning until mid-afternoon) was sweet vanilla.

Now, when I open the imp, I can smell all those things, but it's still not until about an hour in that I'm really in love with the scent. I keep reaching for it in the morning, though, so there must be something there. It is comforting. I didn't immediately order more, but I think I will be. White Rabbit feels more right each time I wear it.

(Edited to add: This scent reminds me a lot of Lush's Butterball. I smelled them both side-by-side and, while not a perfect match, they complement each other quite well.)

Edited by elphaba

Initial Sniff: Tea with honey and ginger in the vial. This smells yummy.

Wearing: As this dries, the sweet tea smell is tempered by the spicy pepper and ginger. The two sides of this fragrance (the sweet and the spicy) are in perfect balance. Fortunately, the vanilla never came out to do the evil things it usually does on my skin.

Final Impressions: A beautiful fragrance that manages to be spicy and fresh at the same time. This scent is crisp and energetic... I loves it!

In the vial and when wet I get pretty much all linen with some faint undertones of honey.

As it makes itself at home on my skin, the linen sticks around but the pepper and ginger really make their presence known. All of the original sweetness disappears. The milk is detectable but only as a means of tempering the sharpness of the linen, pepper, and ginger. I'm new to bpal so perhaps I am just not used to the individual notes, but I never read black tea at all!

I was expecting a sweet creamy scent, but this has turned into more of a spicey scent on me. That said, I absolutley love it! The linen and ginger make it fresh and clean, but the pepper keeps it from being too innocent. I have a bottle on the way!

In the bottle: I get anise again! I think maybe that's supposed to be the tea. Not quite as dry and planty as the black tea I'm familiar with. Other than that, it is a little on the clean side, but not in a post-shower way.

Wearing: OK, I've worn this twice and I still don't know what to make of it. On top of that anise/tea scent (which, by the way, is very nice) I smell maybe a wee bit of honey, lemony ginger, and a wee bit of spicy pepper, but that's really it. I was curious about the milk, but kind of afraid of the mention of it...so I'm both relieved and disappointed that it didn't show up on my skin. In this stage, it's overall what I would call bittersweet, in a weird non-earthy way.

Later: Much cleaner. I get the linen smell. It's warm and kind of powdery, and quite a bit creamier than the first couple of hours.

Overall: Not bad. A unique blend, that's for sure. Like I said, I still don't know what to make of it, but I'm pretty sure I like it. Will keep the imp for days when I feel weird.

First sniff: Oh. Oh, my. White Rabbit smells amazing in the vial. It’s warm, and deep, and comforting, pure black tea with the barest hint that someone waved a lemon in the direction of the vial.

Wearing: I haven’t yet met a tea scent that I didn’t love. This scent is much calmer than his namesake – I can’t picture him hopping around gasping “I’m late! I’m late!” He’s sitting by the fire slowly enjoying his tea with nary a glance at his pocketwatch… he’ll get there someday, and the Queen can bloody well wait.

This scent is PERFECT. Heh, just when I think I have a favorite BPAL, another one comes along that I love EVEN MORE. Amazing.

It smells exactly like the description on me -- strong, sweet black tea, with a little bit of a bite to it -- that might be the pepper and/or the ginger, not sure -- but it all balances out perfectly. It smells very much the same on drydown, which is fabulous, because the love just keeps on comin'! I most definitely will be getting a big bottle of this, and will probably make it into sprays and spritz it all over myself and my apartment.

Um, is it coming across that I love this scent? Just checking...

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Over-steeped tea.

In the imp/bottle: Very strong black tea and anise.

On skin, wet: Strong, over-steeped black tea. No sign of milk, honey or vanilla.

On skin, dry: Dryer-fresh linens and black tea. Odd, and not winning me over.

Conclusion: I was hoping for a creamy vanilla black tea. No such luck.

Edited by Aredhel

White Rabbit = O

for me anyway. What I get is a blast of vanilla and honey, which is lovely.

yes, there is a bit of a faint tea scent, and even a bit of spice, which I like, but it is rather like O on me, and this fades quicker.

Very nice, and it did make me crave a cup of milky tea, but I don't think I'll buy a bottle.

I'm getting a lot of linen out of this. It's shifting between black tea and white linen on my skin, sometimes a mix of both. The result is a very proper smell, something that reminds me of upright English gentlemen. I'm not getting any ginger, honey, pepper or milk, which is unfortunate, since those were the elements that made the scent seem most interesting to me. It's also *very* faint.

I was thrilled when I received a free imp of this from the lab, since it was something that was on my wishlist.

Wet - Lemon and ginger; very astringent.

Dry - At first the lemon and ginger overwhelm everything else. Behind that is a trace of a soapy scent, which I assume is the milk, because so far, BPAL's milk scents don't work on me at all. Whatever it is, it doesn't last too long. I also smell the linen scent now. After an hour or so the tea comes out to play, but it's very soft. Now it smells just like a cup of hot tea with lemon, served on fresh linen. After a few hours the scent is amazing! Tea with honey and milk and lemon, so sweet and lovely and perfect. But it is much too faint; I can barely smell it.

Overall the scent is lovely, but the lemon is a bit too strong on me for me to love this one.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 4 .

ETA - I am editing this post, because I am finding that this is one of those scents I reach for again and again. I raised the rating to a 4, and plan on putting this on my big bottle list.

The wet stage, which is sharp ginger, not lemon, is still to sharp for me, despite my love of ginger, but once this dries it is nearly perfect. My only real complaint is that it is too light on me. But that's what slathering is for ;-)

Edited by wickedgoddess

I'm starting to get a head cold, so I might have to edit this later.

White Rabbit immediately smelt really strongly of honey on me, and not capilano honey, more like the super-strong wildflower honey my amateur beekeeper grandfather used to make in his backyard. The bees ate a lot of Australian wildflowers and the honey always came out tasting less than pure. Anyway, it's not a bad smell, just one I associate with getting sick of the honey smell in honey season. We used to turn the barrel and spray honey all over our legs and chew on the beeswax and eventually you just don't want to ever go near honey again.

Then there was ginger, and I never smelt tea, but it always stayed nicely smelling of honey and ginger, and the honey was not so strong, later.

I went out to dinner and on the way home I smelt my wrist again and got daisies! Maybe this was the linen? I'm not sure. Anyway I liked it. Aside from the slightly over strong honey I really liked it. I can't wait to try it again when my nose is clear!

So, I've discovered something interesting about tea scents and my skin. Tea comes off very...floralesque when I wear it. I guess it turns kind of soapy. I'm not sure how else to describe it. If I didn't know it was tea, I would think it was floral. And it doesn't work very well for me.

The tea issue aside, this is a beautiful scent in the imp - creamy and light, with ginger and a touch of sweetness (but no distinct honey scent, which is good because honey is generally too sweet a scent for me and makes my spouse kind of ill). On my skin, I smell the pepper and the ginger, and a hint of the linen, I think. It smells clean and light. But then, the weird tea-floral/soap thing happens, and I don't like it anymore. Too bad my skin chemistry messes this up, because it is a very nice, clean, happy scent.

Edited by sarahmarie