Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nadirah

Omen

Deep, mysterious, and full of dark portents: oakmoss, juniper berry, myrrh and patchouli.

I received this as a frimp from the Lab. Merci!

I have to say that I love the color. It is so red that I thought there must be Dragon's Blood essence in it.

In the vial: warm patchouli spiciness and myrrh. Uh, oh. Now I am afraid b/c myrrh usually doesn't like me.

Wet: Warm, spicy and scrumptious. This reminds me of a scent that a college b/f wore. However, I like it on my skin, too. Very sexay!

Dry: I am in love. I thought myrrh was my mortal enemy, but I love this scent. Perhaps b/c it is such a nostalgic scent for me. I will enjoy my imp and may order a bigger bottle. Edited by Shollin

Frimp in a swap with 13bodies. :P I was just thinking how I need more oakmoss in my life.

In the Imp: Woo! Strong, sinus-clearing juniper berry (gin!), followed by a spicy, incensey, earth chaser that almost smells like a very rich cinnamon. I can detect the myrrh, and the patchouli, and I think the oakmoss is what's giving it that springy, blue-green note. Mmmm... it's a bit like very dirty, intense cookies. Er, in a really good way, though. I'm lovin' this.

Wet: Myrrh! Myrrh always goes a touch salty on me in the opening stages. Behind that I get the dirt-aquatic of oakmoss and the sting of juniper berries. I can't pick out the patchouli by itself, but it's definitely in there, rich and dark and not too woody-sharp (unlike, say, Depraved.) I can see all the dark forest floor comparisons, but this is surprisingly light-wearing on me. I mean, it's dark in tone, but not so much in actual intensity of scent. Not too much to wear, anyway. The overall impression is just a bit like a spicy, earth-dark floral, without actually being floral in any way, shape or form. It almost reminds me of a feral Laudanum.

Dry: Myrrh, oakmoss, patchouli and just a touch of tart juniper berry. Daaamn this stuff has some throw, too, and will, I suspect, last forever. I love it! Earthy-dirty-floral-wood-aquatic-sweet-spicyness, in the most appealing way possible. I can't see wearing this every day, but it will be perfect for certain occasions, and is surprisingly sexy, too. I'm going to have to keep an Imp around at all times.... maybe even a bottle. Hunh, funny how the ones you would have never tried are always the ones that blindside you with their awesomeness, eh?

:D

In the bottle: Dark green, brown, spicy—is there cinnamon in this?

On me: Mmm, darker and spicier. How is there not lavender in this? I do smell the patchouli and I think the juniper. Very dark. Deep brown. It is masculine, though.

This seems pretty strong. I’m continually noticing it without having to sniff my wrists. I’d just say it has throw, but I’m not sure that I like how strong it is. Later that seems to change, and it’s very dark and unpleasantly spicy when I sniff my wrists. I didn’t know a smell could be unpleasantly spicy. It’s like woodsmoke and moss, but in a bad way.

Later: It’s still like woodsmoke and moss, but now in a good way. Not really spicy anymore. It smells like lying down twenty feet away from the campfire, on your side in very slightly damp fallen leaves, the stars bright pinpricks way above the tops of the trees.

Much later: It’s still there, barely clinging on. I like this one. Still smells like woodsmoke and wet leaves.

Scent in bottle: Mmm...foresty and moss and patchouli and juniper and myrrh.

Scent on me:

Wet -- myrrh, moss, patchouli, juniper

Dry -- myrrh, patchouli, juniper

Conclusion: Yum! Dark and cozy and woodsy.

On me Omen is a wonderful mixture of Myrrh and patchouli.

I love it, that kind of woody-spiciness that smells good on my skin.

I haven't learned my notes well enough yet to know if i'm smelling the oakmoss as well, but I know a few of my other favorites also include it...

Conclusion: It's on the rotation for me!

In the bottle: I practically recoiled from the patchouli when I opened this. The berries are very sharp, and there's a note that smells moldy. It smells a lot like cheap incense. I considered putting the cap back on and tossing this in the swap pile untested.

On me: It warms up quite a bit. Maybe that's the myrrh. It's a bit more masculine than what I normally wear, but not bad.

On my boyfriend: OMG Sexy! This smells so good on him. The berries are nice and fruity, and the patchouli is rich and deep. As it dries the patchouli comes out a bit more, but somehow on him it doesn't smell like a headshop.

I didn't like this at first -- it smelled just like pine. Don’t know why… pine isn't listed in the description. I can't smell the juniper berries, which smell like lemon on me, or the oakmoss (which is just fine with me). The hubby tried it on and we didn't really like it on him either.

But after about 10 minutes it turned into patchouli and myrrh. Much nicer. This is the strongest myrrh I've smelled in a BPAL oil, and it's lovely. I think it's a little too masculine for me personally, but I like the scent a lot. Smells good on the hubby now too.

In the bottle: Very clean in the bottle. I am guessing that is the juniper. The patchouli comes through slightly but mostly it's the juniper.

Wet: The astringency disappears once this hits my skin. This turns into a warm juniper scent with an undertone of myrrh. The patchouli unly shows up at the very end.

Dry: Oh my! I am really enjoying Omen! This is what a hike in the woods smells like. Clean and dirty. The patchouli plays so nicely with the juniper that I think I could get away with wearing this around my BIL (he greatly dislikes patchouli and calls me a stinky hippy when I wear it).

Overall: I bought this on a whim and a so very glad I did! Omen goes on my big bottle list! Lovelovelove!

Yep, this is the stuff! Oakmoss and something kind of spicy. The Myrrh maybe? And the Juniper berry gives it a bit of sharpness but not nearly as sharp as Burial. There's patchouli underneath but blended so nicely that it just grounds the other notes.

Very nice. I think this will be going into rotation as an alternative to Zombi when I want something earthy/woodsy but without the rose.

Ohhhh mama! Now that I've had this on for awhile something really lovely is coming out. This must be the myrrh. I need to go search for more myrrh scents :P

Edited by fiddlehead

:P

How have I been able to live w/o this scent? That's one of the mysteries that make this universe such an interesting place! Aaaah....

at first: earthy with the freshness of juniper.

on: tons of myrrh!

1 hour later: all myrrh.

3 hours later: there's some oakmoss now, too, but the myrrh is also still really strong.

overall: this just isn't something i would wear.

Omen - I received a frimp from the Lab (thank you!) the day after I arranged to swap for some, so it was obvious that I was meant to have this blend. It is chock full of notes that I dislike, yet for some reason, I absolutely adore it. It is deep and dark and definitely a "dirty hippie" scent, but I just adore it. It smells slightly incensey on my skin, and it's incredibly warm and comforting. I am really amazed by the throw -- I put the tiniest dab on my wrist, and I'm surrounded by this amazingly light veil of fragrance. The throw is incredible, but it's not overwhelming. It is also very long-lasting. It's just really beautiful and warm -- kind of like the fragrance version of the loving hug from a friend.

On first whiff, this is all dark powerful patchouli with a dusty note to it that I recognize as oakmoss... and the myrrh in this is spicy. Wet on me, this is all myrrh with a subtle patchouli base. Dry, this is... strange. The berries come out now and mix with the myrrh and oakmoss making a bitter and slightly "off" scent... like berries just going bad. It hovers somewhere between confusing and disgusting on my skin which is a shame because it has such a nice impact wet... After this has had (lots and lots) of time to breathe and warm, this gains a nice balanced tone that is at once somewhat smoky and spicy. Very nice but not exactly for me, I think.

Wet: Earthy, powdery patchouli. It almost smells like there is amber in it.

Drydown: Still earthy, but a slight resiny sweetness in the basenote. Nice slightly dirty, dark scent, with just a hint of a soft powdery edge to it.

I don't know why I thought I didn't like this. I've had an imp forever, and now that I've had it on for a while, I really like it. This is dark, deep, mysterious scent love. It reminds me a bit of Odin, FWIW.

In the bottle: Oooh, myrrh and patchouli.

Wet: Something fresh, probably the oakmoss, with myrrh coming in over it.

Drydown: I get myrrh, mostly, but it's sweet rather than dry - and then the oakmoss takes over completely and drowns away anything else, pushing myrrh to the background. Finally it balances out and myrrh smells lovely over a rather perfumy base of oakmoss and a hint of tart juniper berry. I don't get any patchouli, it's probably in the background.

Overall: Another beautiful myrrh blend. Unlike some myrrhs that go bitter and dry, this one stays spicy, dark and delicious. I think all the rest just serves to underscore it, which is a good thing as I hate junpier and oakmoss sometimes plays up with me. A dark, deep and luscious blend that I'll definitely be wearing again!

I have no problem with any of the individual notes in this blend, but all together on me they meld into

...a cloying, acrid incensey smoke.

How can something be cloying and acrid at the same time?

The smell of this is not technically unpleasant, but the sense that it is covering up something decidedly unwholesome, some awful secret behind thick velvet drapes, is.

In Imp- strong, spicy

Wet- mmm, spicy and masculine, but not macho-does that make sense? Juniper, but not Gin.

Dry-powdery, spicy sweet, not foody at all. I could see wearing this to a business lunch ( if I had a business), because it's super pleasant, but doesn't scream PERFUME! as loudly as possible. It sort of implies it.

Later: I see why this is 'Omen'. Oedipus might smell like this. I love it.

*Caveat- I like masculine scents. This isn't hyper masculine, but it's not really feminine, either. *

I was unable to smell this one in the imp as it had been soaked in Djinn and it's label reeked of that.

On the wrist, wet: Faint and familiar... So far I am not moved by this....

On the wrist, dry: For some reason this smells just like Ouija to me. Which didn't work on me at all. Nor does this. Turns all old lady powder and fustiness.

Final Analysis: Hopefully someone will want an imp of Omen with a manky Djinn smelling label. :P

Edited by Miseraya

Spicy. I get the myrrh from Penitence with a more woody note Sort of the lovechild of Penitence and Cathedral. I don't get a dark feeling at all. Very church-like.

Very masculine, but I don't hate this like most of the other evergreen-y scents. The juniper is blending very well with the myrrh and patchouli. The patchouli isn't completely overtaking things, which is nice. I think I would like to drown my girlfriend in this - it would smell fabulous on her!

Omen-

In Bottle: Kind of nondescript perfumey-spicy.

Wet: Minty-woody bloom on my skin.

Dry: This has a light sandalwood-and-mint scent. Pleasant; probably not something I'll wear a lot, though.

Overall: Not that interesting to me.

This isn't as offensive as most earthy/musty scents, but I still don't like it. The juniper is lovely, though. It's not too sharp. Unfortunately, this isn't what I want to smell like.

Bottle: sharp, almost astringent. the berry, methinks, I know this note.

Wet: same, the berry giving way to more of the branch.

Dry: growing slightly bitter - the patchouli might be the culprit, if it's black patchouli.

Later: while the edges are softening, the bitter remains. this doesn't like me somehow, and I was so certain it would be a keeper. crappit.

In the bottle and wearing: I can smell each of the notes in this when I think about it, but the overall impression? It's that old house smell! Which I love when I enter an old house but I don't necessarily want to smell like.

It's kind of spooky, dusty, musty. Old earth and wood.

In the late drydown, it's a little softer and sweeter, but remains more or less the same throughtout wearing.

I have too many other scents in this genre that I like better for wearing. Though this would be awesome in an oil-burner around Halloween!