Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Spellbound

Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Beautiful intoxicating Spellbound! How have I managed to live without it so long.
Its soft and subtly seductive - with a hauntingly mysterious smell of something delicious from the past.
This is possibly the only fragrance I've ever worn that has attracted compliments even from people not usually moved to pay compliments of a personal nature.

EDIT: Added Lab's description --Shollin

ohh, spellbound!

it was definitely my favorite out of the samples i got. i can smell the rose when i open the vial; it smells even better on my wrist. a very rich and womanly scent, not too light/sweet. there's something else in there that reminds me of incense i bought once, the only way i can describe it is to say that it smells red. slightly earthy, or spicy. it must be the musk. i love this! i could wear it all of the time.

1 hour later, it smells less floral... a little sharper but still deliciously vibrant and sensual.

Must agree, Spellbound is gorgeous.

Lovely smell when opened and first applied. As I sniff I smell first faint rose then a faint musk blends to amber. Every time I sniff I am getting this effect, one smell progressing to the others... very interesting. I am not especially a musk fan, but it smells good in here. As it dries I am more aware of the rose. Very pleasant smells from this. The rose smell is taking back somewhere in my childhood, trying desperately to remember where / what. It is a warm, clean rose note, faint but so pleasing. Some hours later this still smells gorgeous. Warm, deep and lovely.

I've already ordered more of this one.

Spellbound is lovely. On the 'sniff test' alone I was a little concerned that I would smell of Turkish Delight, but that worry soon lifted.

Like others of said it's a warm scent, but not heady at all. The rose note is prominent, but I also love the other notes too, especially the amber (I think :oops: )

I will probably buy more of this one but Blood Rose is my fave of the two.

I have many rose type blends on my Try list but I think I'd prefer a light rose blend rather than a stronger type.

Spellbound is my absolute favorite so far! The first time I smelled it, it carried me back to a time and place I hadn't thought about in years. I love florals, and this one changes and mellows throughout the day. I've gotten raised eyebrows and "ooooooh"s from everyone I've allowed near the bottle :P

Initial Impression:

Definitely floral. You can really smell the roses, which makes the perfume not my style at all. It'd still be a nice fragrance for someone else. I'll try wearing it anyway just to give it its fair try.

After Wearing It:

I'm really in the minority here. This didn't work on me. I hated this wet. It smelled strongly of musk and roses, two scents that I can only take in small doses. After the scent dried and mellowed a bit, it wasn't so bad. Still smelled predominantly of roses and musk, but you could pick up bits of sweet amber playing in the background. But I really only smelled the amber if I inhaled deeply against my wrist.

Final Thoughts:

I really, really need to accept the fact that I can't do rose scents. I can't tell if they just react badly with my skin or if my nose is just programmed not to like them. I wish the amber had been more prominent, it might have saved the scent for me.

This one was very heavy and sensual, but for me there was too much amber and not enough rose. It reminded me of the smell of the hippy shops I used to go in as a student! I do quite like amber but it was a bit overpowering for me, but if you like amber I think you will LOVE this one!

It's definetely a hippy shop smell........warm and comforting and I can still smell it at the end of the day!!!!

This one isn't a hippy shop smell on me at all... More like roses and freshly chopped firewood?

This is one of my favorite BPAL scents, it makes me feel confident, together and sexy, but not wanton, if that makes sense. This is one I wear on days when I really need to shine at work, because it makes me feel like I've got everything together, without feeling like I smell inapropriate for an office environment.

This scent gets bonus points for its staying power. No matter how much soap I used to scrub my wrists, the scent still lingered. Unfortunately, I hated the smell, wet and dry. Very heady and too floral for my tastes. It's what my sister and I call "old lady smell". :oops:

I really like roses but rose perfumes usually give me a headache. This, however, does not... it's rich and rosy but not sweet or cloying. Very, very nice!

I was surprised I liked this, I am not really a floral gal, however the musk and amber tempered the floralness just enough to give it some depth and make it more interesting to my nose. This is a lovely rose scent. I will be wearing more of it in the spring because it is a sunny floral-- or as sunny a floral as I am willing to wear :P

Wonderful smell of roses with the hint of musk that comes through more strongly after a few hours wear. It is a long lasting scent which doesn't need to be applied very often. I like it very much. Very summery sexy smell.

well maybe i should give this a bit more time, but my first reaction is that this isn't good on me. I didn't get much time to smell it in the bottle because it wouldn't open easily and spilled on to me. I'm not sure if it's the amber or the musk, but something smells very off to me, and i love roses. (Blood Rose is my new favorite smell of all time). Oddly enough, it actually smells like a sushi bar to me, which makes me think it's the amber. Just something a little too sharp at the top... but slowly its mellowing so i'm not going to go wash it off just yet.

Soft. Floral. Almost powdery...but not in a grandmotherly way. I can possibly see myself wearing this on the rare occasion I am feeling feminine...I picture it in my mind with a flowing silk nightgown, soft romantic music, and champagne.

It's funny because when I first put this on it smelled powdery to me and usually that doesn't happen until dry-down. But with Spellbound it's gone the opposite and after an hour or so, the powdery smell has subsided and it's purely rose and musk. Elizabeth sent this as a sample and while it is a truly lovely, sophisticated floral, it's just not me at all. I think my mother would absolutely adore it though so I'm going to recommend it to her. She's always worn Chanel 22 and this reminds me of it.

I really love Spellbound. It brings back such wonderful memories - all those hippy-shops I used to browse in during my mis-spent youth ....

A beautifully warm, rich almost spicy floral that lasted all day long - and was much admired during the day. I'll definitely be buying a larger size of this ....

at first: roses. very nice. can also smell something else; not sure if it is the amber or the musk.

on: smells wonderful. very sexy and feminine. bpal does a fabulous job with its roses.

7 hours later: i can still smell it, which is pretty amazing. i mostly smell roses, but the scent is more full than that. i can only assume that i'm smelling some of the other scents in the background.

overall: i'm going to try a whole lot of the other rose scents before getting a 5ml of this. however, it is quite lovely.

Thanks to Michelle, Bless her heart I received a couple rosy smells in the mail today!!

I first had to try this one because of all the reviews,

This is a beautiful scent!! Alot lighter than I would've thought for a rose oil, it seams to get stronger as you wear it! Not sure I would buy a big bottle of this yet, but it is definatly a yummy once in a while perfume.

On first application: very stongly of roses. But not light, delicate roses - fullblooded and confident, deep, velvety roses.

On drydown: smells almost like patchouli on me! It has a similar round spiciness that lingers and lingers. I totally agree with Antimony - this one inspires confidence and strength. I keep sniffing and smiling all day with this one.

Of all the BPAL rose-based scents, I think this one is definitely the one I will go with in the long run. It is very sophisticated, and dries down to an amazingly soft rose/amber/musk blend that is just the perfect balance of all three notes. Yes, this definitely goes on my list of fragrances to buy big bottles of once I get a damn job.

I really love Spellbound.  It brings back such wonderful memories - all those hippy-shops I used to browse in during my mis-spent youth ....

A beautifully warm, rich almost spicy floral that lasted all day long -

YES!! Thats exactly the feeling I'm picking up from this fragrance blend it reminds me of the shops I mooched around in Provincetown in Cape Cod - I wished I could figure out the complexities of that distinct "hippy" aroma - and here it is...:D but balanced by my favourites... rose!

...a warm delicate musky hippy rose and something to lift it on the end ... its warming and also its smells familiar :P

...Beth does something magical with her rose blends as its a lovely fragrance...very feminine...this is a keeper! :D

Claire xxx

I am going to order a vial of this Friday - so thankful Elizabeth sent this one as an extra sample - I love it! Have been sniffing my arm all night and re-living some old memories! :P

When I first opened it I got worried. It was very "hippy shop" as someone else put it.

But on it got a little lighter and I could smell the softer more floral notes once it had dried.

I don't know a lot about oils and telling one note from another but after about an hour the smell has mellowed and I love it.

It reminds me of some other oils I got from aveda , makes me thing of an eastern scent.

Not to strong but confident and alluring.

One of my faves.

Everyone says 'hippy shop', but I don't agree. This is likely my absolute favorite at present. It's a very clear and womanly scent. Makes me think of royal purple. I love how the roses, amber, and musk bloom and recede...it's always changing. Sweet, but not cloying. Exotic, but simple. Makes the man purrr...

It lasts and lasts!