Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ina Garten Davita

Oisin

Proceeds go to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. A legendary warrior bard from Irish lore and a renowned member of the Fianna. His saga is detailed in two of the four great Cycles of Celtic legend: the Fenian and Ossianic Cycles. A lyric, wistful blend of summertime Irish blossoms and herbs, glistening with vibrant white musk.

First Impression: Oh glorious musk.

Second Impression: This is one sexy as hell blend. This definitely is a masculine scent, it's as if Beth turned my favorite Axe into a proper men's fragrance.

Final Analysis: If Rob would wear this, I'd be one happy girlie. I want a big bottle.

This is nice indeed. I smell musk and light greenery with an iota of sweetness underneath. Tthe primary note I'm getting is musk though.

This is very sexual. I agree with Andrabell, if my husband wore this I wouldn't be responsible for my actions.

Wow.

I originally posted this on the LJ

This is SO pretty, I'm in love! I thought it would be a bit more neutral, but on me it's rather feminine and pretty. I get a love of the musk at first. And now I am sure that I DO love white musk. (I can't do the darker ones.) I never got any herbs from this, but then again I don't know what herbs Beth used and thus what I should be looking for. The floral scents and the musk seem to be racing with one pulling out ahead and then the other moving past it to take the lead. The floral scents are light, wispy, and gentle. Never very sweet and definitely not cloying. Further and further I get into the scent the more floral and less musky it becomes. The floral doesn't get stronger so much as the musk just fades sooner. Six and a half hours later it's still on there, not very strong, but very easily smelled when you get close to the skin. I adore this!

Oisin starts out bright green on me, and the musk comes through quickly. It's fabulous, and I am running into the living room as soon as I finish typing to slather it onto Matt. The catch will be leaving the room after I do ... I may not be able to resist him, even if he is deep in the throes of the X-box, while he's wearing this.

Whatever those Irish blossoms are, they're blended in so deep I can't discern them individually. In spite of being such a masculine scent, Oisin has a luminous quality that I usually don't find in men's colognes - they always seem dull to my nose, like they're missing out on a resonance that the fruit and florals in women's fragrances provide.

This is amazing. I know exactly what Matt's getting for his birthday, and I'll be slathering it on him every chance I get. He always worries that he's put BPAL on too heavily because of the scent intensity of the oils, but he won't have to with this one. Long-lasting, it's not something I'd worry about him wearing into an elevator - it doesn't seem to move more than about 12 inches from my skin, and if it did throw more than that, I don't know if I'd let him out in public wearing it. I'll have to beat other women off of him with a stick when he smells this good, and I have other plans for my time with him when he's wearing Oisin. :P

Oisin is gorgeousness. I bought this for my S.O. because he is a comic book and graphic novel fanatic; luckily the scent is so beautiful. It is light and airy, and soft and green and oh so lovely. He smells like a dream in this perfume.

OH, so beautiful.

In the bottle: Kinda floral and green with a hint of musk. It reminds me a little of Dublin, which scares me to no end considering how allergic to that I ended up being. But AJ was kind enough to send it to me.

Wet: This reminds me a little of my Rice Flower and Shea soap, which I am also allergic to, as it is a light floral with a hint of musk underneath. The herbs provide a nice, subtle green note. I was hoping this would be more sparkling. I'm not sure what I expected. More water and some more vibrant florals maybe. What I smell mostly is the herbs and musk.

Dry down: Herbal and musky. This is a much more masculine scent that I had expected. But then it is named after a warrior bard so maybe I should have considered that. *sigh* I hope Beth makes a Cerridwen scent. I'd buy a 5ml right off. Oh, I am, I am a manly man as you can rightly sniff. I bare my wrists with musk and herbs and you can take a whiff. It's not that I don't like this. It's a nice mix, but it really is too masculine for me. And, unfortunately, it's also giving me a headache. I apparently either am allergic to Irish blossoms or these herbals as I have no problem with light musk in other blends.

Dry: Musky and herbal. No real sign of a redeeming floral in sight, and my head is still giving me warning signs, which are better than all out headaches and congestion from hell. I'm gonna wash this off and give it to the boy. I'm sure he'll adore it.

Oh my goodness ~ this is quite possibly the sexiest scent that I've tried from BPAL. It's very understated sexy on me though - the florals temper the musk in the most fabulous manner. Even after wearing it all day, Oisin stays fresh and somewhat bright. The throw isn't overwhelming, but sort of sneaky. It's there and you can smell it, almost sense it, but it doesn't peel the paint of the walls.

This is not sexy in the way that O is sexy - Oisin has a person next door, aww shucks sort of every day sexy. It's not blatant or overstated sexy that stalks in wearing impossibly high heels, it's sexy in the same way that a firefighter is brave (if that makes any sense at all).

I also slathered it on my best friend (my hubby is a big baby and steadfastly refuses my attempts at BPAL conversion), and have to say it smelled just as scrumptious on Jason. On him the musk is much more prominent and what is floral on my skin is somewhat herby on his. No matter - he smells damn good in it.

Oisin

the story:

Oisín was the son of the hero Fionn Mac Cumhaill and the fairy-woman Sabha who was abducted back to the Otherworld when Oisín was a young boy and he was then brought up by his father Fionn. He fought many brave battles with the Fianna when he came of age. He did not always agree with his father especially in the case of his father's enmity against Diarmuid O'Duibne when he eloped with Gráinne who had been promised to Fionn Mac Cumhail.

Oisín met Niamh a beautiful woman of the Sidhe and went to Tír na nÓg with her to live it is said he lived there for three years and then he wanted to return to his homeland to see his family again, he was given a white horse and told not to step off it. He returned to his home but could find no trace of his old house or any of his family and the people seemed different, somehow smaller and weaker. He discovered some men at a place called Glen na Smól trying to lift a large rock. He found out that three hundred years had passed since the time of his father and the Fianna. He decided to help the men lift the rock but as he reached over he slipped from his horse and his foot touched the earth. He was instantly transformed into a withered old man and he died there, in front of the men but not before telling them who he was.

in the bottle: Like perfumed flowers on the air, their scent just whisked to my nose. Heady florals, but fresh and summery. The herbs are gentle and clean, without being pungent as sometimes the summer sun can make them that way as they wilt from the heat.

wet: the musk is blindingly white, crystalline, and seems to cut through the air in a chiming chord. It stands in front of the herbs and flowers on the hill, shining in the sunlight. The air is crisp, tossing the heads on the flowers gently to and fro, much to their delight. The summertime sun shines in a partly cloudy sky, reflecting in the eyes of Oisin himself.

dry down 15 minutes later: The soft snuffling and snorting of his horse is heard, as the animal casually digs at the earth with it's front hoof, stirring up more of the herbal smell. The florals are carried lightly in the air still, swirling around in such a cloying way. It's sharp and heady at the same time, the musk having mellowed...warmed through the sun...becoming sexy and beckoning. Oisin, beneathe his clothing and torque, is muscular from his battles and scarred as well. His heart beats in tune with his horse, which is in tune with his land. The flowers and herbs and musk all have permeated his clothing, mixing with the soft scent of his horse, an unearthly animal from Tir na nOg, somehow changing and becoming more otherworldy.

This is an incredibly sexy scent, I can see how this would be loved on a man, as I know mixing that male smell with this would be irresistable, but...it's so wonderful on me as a woman as well! I'll definitely buy it again

Oisin

First Impression

Oh, lord, I think I may have found a scent that might replace my boyfriend! This is sheer sex in a bottle, and I really mean that. It smells heavily of white musk, but instead of the buttery, soft white musk that I can smell from the single note, it's got this bitter, masculine, cologne-like edge to it. And herbs! Dry grasses, warm fields, and everything to remind me of a man who has just come in from a hike -- not covered with heavy sweat, but instead with a sweet almost skin like glow and the scent of wild grasses and flowers on his skin. This is dead sexy.

Wearing It

Wow. Just, wow. It's still a little masculine on me, so it feels a bit naughty, as if I were cross dressing. But it still feels sexy, and makes me want to go seduce unwary women. :P On me, the musk comes out very strongly (hardly a surprise), and creates a warm soft glowing scent, overlaid by sweet grass and the slightest scent of hay. The florals are barely noticeable.

Oddly enough, when my mother smelled this and was asked whether it smelled like a guy's perfume or a woman's, she hesitated and eventually answered, "A girls?" Apparently it's pretty gender neutral, and that makes me very happy, cause I plan to wear this a ton!

On my boyfriend, however, it doesn't quite work out so well. (pity, too, cause otherwise he'd be able to get me into the bedroom whenever he wanted, just by applying some.) Apparently his skin eats musk scents (similarly to how my skin eats ambers) -- about fifteen minutes after applying it, the scent practically disappears, leaving only the slightest scent of herbs. Also, apparently he used to use a talcom powder that was scented like "herbs and wild grasses" or something like that, cause for the longest time he kept insisting that it smelled like talcom powder. My mother also commented that it smelled like it had a bit of expensive talcom powder to it, something that a man or lady might wear. Either way, it's very elegant smelling and I just adore it. It smells deliciously like sex and summer.

Lasting Power

Obviously on my boyfriend this doesn't last at all. But on me (keeping in mind that my skin adores musks), this settles down to a very light (very close-to-the-skin, non-wafting scent) musk with bits of wild grass, herbs, and florals at the edges of it. It stays this way for well over six hours, although I often reapply it more than that, just so I can get that initial blast-you-in-the-face, bathing-in-perfume effect. I just love this scent so much that I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm so glad that I have a 5ml of it. :D

In the bottle: Earthiness abounds. It's not a dark, damp, woody or dirt-y kind of earthy, but instead just very nature-inspired.

Wearing: Mostly white musk. There's a considerable amount of greenery, a light, vibrant green. I get no florals, thankfully. A very masculine blend, which isn't bad at all as I love men's cologne.

Later: It's gone from masculine to leaning more on the feminine side in about half an hour-45 minutes. The musk is still prominent, but softened, and the greens have died down to a nice robin's egg color. It's light and airy, but not in an innocent or just plain boring way. I like it a lot, and if my boyfriend was into cologne, I would totally want to smell it on him.

I tried Oisin by default-when I opened the imp, it splashed on me.

Wet: strong! mostly musk/white musk and some green smell.

dry down: mmmm. I love the way it smells on me-very strong musk with an undertone of sweet. I would wear it in the winter-too strong for summer.

If it was a guy I'd tackle it, rub my face in it, then love it all over. A great, great scent. Masculine, but I like it too!

I love white musk. With the addition of the green notes, this is bottled sex. I sent the imp off in swap, but certainly not out of a lack of love. More out of sense of longing. See, the fiance` is across the pond and even when I wear this blend I find myself missing him just that much more. (Plus, it sort of puts thoughts of much humpage into my head and, again, it's TORTURE!)

This is going to be a blend to try on him, I think. :P

On me, Oisin is light and fresh scent. I definitely pick up the white must, but there's something green, and a little floral here. When wet, this blend doesn't strike me as being very masculine. However, as it dries down, the musk comes to the forefront and I could see it smelling very nice on a man. Very nice :P

Origin:

I was gifted with a 5mL of this by the lovely Sigh. :P

First sniff:

Very clean smelling; that's the first thing that pops into my mind when I sniff this. I smell musk (a very light, airy musk) and herbs right out of the bottle. This is definitely a gender neutral scent. I can see this being equally gorgeous on a man or a woman. :D

Wet on skin:

Light and fresh and clean smelling. This is gorgeous! The florals are starting to come out now, but they're very soft and subdued, like apple blossoms, definitely not like flower shop flowers. The herbs are still the most prominent note but the gorgeous barely there white musk is right behind it. This reminds me of a meadow in the summertime with the birds singing in the trees and the grass waving in the breeze. Gorgeous. :D

Dry down:

Oisin seems to be one of those scents that just blends in with my natural smell and that's a good thing! It's natural smelling and very clean and unoffensive (even to my mother, who's extremely sensitive to perfume). This would be a perfect scent for someone who doesn't normally wear perfume or cologne. :D

The bottom line:

This is gorgeous! I normally like dark, heavy scents, but Oisin is gorgeous even in my opinion. It's soft, subdued and clean smelling and I'm sure it'd be as gorgeous on a man as it is on me! :D

TMI ~ My period is freshly over, and this is the first time I've tried this oil.

Bottle ~ My first thought was, "perfumey." My second thought was, "a minty floral?"

Wet ~ Very dusky and incensey. This smells like the sort of perfumes my mother and aunts wore when I was a kid. Not overwhelmingly offensive, but I'm still not seeing the point.

Drying ~ I'm mainly getting an incense here. Kinda sweet and rather light, but mainly incense.

Drydown ~ There's a citrus note coming out. Orange? Grapefruit? Sweet, citrusy incense. It's not quite as perfumey was it was before, but that edge came back a bit.

Dry ~ The same, but a bit brighter. I think the citrus is winning out.

Final thoughts ~ It's interesting, but I'm not in love with it. The wet stage reminded me enough of my female relatives, though, that I think that this could make a good ritual scent for certain workings.

Sweet and pretty on me. I like the musk scent but it's definitely predominant in this over all the other notes, and I wish the herbal would come through more strongly. Looking forward to spring, I think this'll be one I'll want in my oil burner, and to wear with some kind of cute little floral dress - it's sick how many of these perfumes make me want to run out and buy the perfect outfit to match them! This definitely felt quite young on me, and I'd think it'd suit an older teenager.

It's fruity, it's musky, it's Oisin.

Wow, it didn't impress me at all. It did smell good, but fruity musks just aren't my bag baby. I also tried Eris and the same thing. For some reason fruits and certain musks clash under my nose.

Back to the drawingboard.

I'm very torn on this one. It really does smell like clean boy on me, too. Musky, herbal, very white, and not sweet. It's gorgeous, but I'm not sure I can wear it, as it feels boyish and not very me. On the other hand, I keep sniffing my wrist and sighing happily.

Oisin strikes me as such a calmly male genderfuck scent. I want to wear Oisin when on a date with another girl.

Courtesy of the Oblation Caravan!

In the imp: Musky. It's not overpowering musk. More like a clean musk.

Wet: Woody and chypre.

Drydown: Definitely a masculine scent. Mind you, I might be skewed a bit since I'm a very fruity scent loving girl.

Final thoughts: This is a very cleanly masculine blend. Not overwhelming masculine, but it is masculine.

It's bit cologney and a bit aquatic. It is very masculine smelling, but not in a 'must wash off' kind of way. The musk is coming out more now making this a fairly mellow blend. I wouldn't wear this much myself, but it seems like something my brother would like.

at first: wow! flowers and musk. this is very nice.

on: beautiful. herbs and musk.

half an hour later: gorgeous. very musky.

1.5 hours later: a nice, musky scent.

2 hours later: very nice. cool and light.

overall: a great musk. very summery and light. i bought a bottle.

I didn't initially try this because it sounded like it might be perfumey/cologney, but the idea of "Irish blossoms and herbs" is very intriguing to me, since I've been developing an interest in very green-smelling, fresh meadow scents for the spring (of the Dublin variety).

This rather reminds me of a more masculine verson of Leanan Sidhe, which I recently tried and decided was too perfumey. It's similar, but more along the line of a light musky cologne than a perfume. I shy away from anything that has that "perfumey" quality but I do like the way white musk works in some blends (Ice Queen for example) so I am going to wait it out.

The cologney smell becomes more of a pronounced warm musk like Coyote. It feels like warm light on a meadow, and that is very nice indeed...musk makes me want to snuggle with something warm and covered in fur. It makes me think of rolling around playfully with a white white wolfy dog in a field full of dandelions.

It is still too cologney for me though and I keep thinking of my grandmother's dresser drawers, full of various old musky perfumes and colognes, and I don't get enough of the fresh spring meadow. Very lovely though and it will be a shame to see this one go!

Oisin:

Wet: Faint, light florals. It makes me think of sunshine in the springtime.

Drydown: still very light florals, a touch of musk and a touch of herbs.

Longterm wear: I'd better grab a bottle of this before it gets DC'd!

First sniff from the bottle- This is very similar to Zephyr which I hated. It smells like the Macy perfume department.

After 10 minutes- I straight up hate this. Overtly floral and sharp. It is such a strong floral it burned my nose and made my eyes water. This smells like some old rich lady walking by who has drown herself in WAY too much stinky perfume.

After 30 minutes- I had to scrub it off. Must swap asap!