Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ally in love.

Vanilla, heliotrope, red sandalwood, pear, black lily, white wine grape, and white rose.

In the bottle, I'll be honest, I feel like I can't smell anything! However, when wet on the skin it smells like roses predominantly. Once it actually settles down I get the pear mingling with the rose, the vanilla slowly starts to come out, but the sandalwood is either blended so well I can't pull it out, or non-existent on my skin. I do love it though, but I'll war with myself for the next month or so to see if I really need a back-up bottle.

This is just so darn sexy on the skin. First the pear and white grape were a very delicate and sophisticated sort of fruity.

As it warms up the florals start to come out. I'm thinking heliotrope may be a new favorite for me.

Now I keep getting delicious wafts of vanilla and white roses up from my neck. When I sniff closer I can detect the lily and heliotrope and a deeper sandalwood note. The fruits are indistinguishable but there is something juicy rounding out the scent that remembers their presence.

In the bottle: Gorgeous glowing fruity floral, more fruity than floral at this point. I can pick out the ripe pear (as yummy here as in Titania) and the slightly more acidic white wine grape, which adds an almost-but-not-quite boozy note. Vanilla sweetens it all up. Very elegant, very nuanced and well blended.

On, wet: Still pear, grape and vanilla, but I can smell the flowers starting to bloom, especially the heliotrope and white rose, so it's not 100% fruity now. It's still very juicy, though it's a little less sweet and nectar-like than it was in the bottle. This is a light, lovely rose, not powdery or overbearing—in fact, the heliotrope is stronger, which is fine by me, because it's beautiful. (I can't really pick out the lily, though I'm sure it's in there somewhere.) I'm also getting a tiny bit of the sandalwood, but it's a very deep undercurrent.

On, dry: A big, gilded bouquet of ripe fruits and flowers, tied together with the sweet vanilla and sensual sandalwood. Although I'll occasionally get a sniff of pure pear or heliotrope, no one element dominates. The whiffs I keep getting are divine, very feminine and surprisingly sexy (in a classy way).

Later: Vanilla, sandalwood and heliotrope, with lingering fruit just underneath to round it out and keep it from getting too sweet. The boozy element from earlier is gone, but the sandalwood and vanilla make this very sensual anyway. It keeps making me think of golden sunlight and baskets that are spilling over with fruit and blossoms.

Overall: Sweet, lush, ripe and summery, Symmakhia is winsome and sensual, with good throw and staying power. There's something serenely charming about this one that I just love, and it's also extremely feminine without being prissy. It won't be a hit with those who don't like sweetness, but those who like fruity florals and vanilla (like me) should be very pleased.

The notes in this blend very well. I tried to sniff it blind, without knowing what the notes were, and I could guess about half the notes, but I kept thinking, "but this is really weird."

Wet, I smell the grapes, pear, and vanilla. I think the pear is probably strongest, and it keeps the grape from becoming as cloyingly sweet as it has been for me in past white grape blends. As it dries, the rose emerges. It's very similar to the rose in Parlement of Foules, rich and smooth but light and a little sweet.

After that, the sandalwood comes out. It's almost a little smoky and spicy. Red sandalwood is much more prickly and aggressive than regular sandalwood, and very dry. The heliotrope adds a distinct, sharp brightness. The lily goes through a strong phase but once everything settles down, the rose is stronger than the lily. (Then again, I tend to amp rose.)

I tend to amp sandalwood, so on me, this is primarily a red sandalwood and floral blend, colored by white fruits and vanilla. Once dry, the vanilla is very faint. It lends a very light creaminess that binds the other notes, but I don't sniff and immediately think "Vanilla!" When the scent wafts, it smells much fruitier and better balanced than when I sniff it directly, so I guess that's how the other, sandalwood-wearing half lives. :D

On the whole, it's light, sweet, smooth, and just a little creamy. Very spring-y.

Throw is good, but softens considerably after an hour or so. About 2-3 hours later, the sandalwood has surprisingly faded away completely, along with most of the flowers. It's all vanilla now, with a little fruit and only a trace amount of rose

Edited by naeelah

This smells almost like a pear tart with a nosegay sitting beside it.

It's a pretty as I hoped and makes me think of weddings.

ADDED Feb. 13:

This smells like a late-summer wedding.

Stunningly beautiful.

Kind of shocked this hasn't gotten more love on the forum.

Damn pretty this is! It shares a lot of qualities to White Rose and a few with Giant Vulva. I also get a hint of tobacco, which is possibly the notes playing together, but it is the prettiest tobacco scent that I've ever smelled. Really, while I know people want to stock pile on White Rose, you should consider Symmakhia instead. I think it has a better slightly better throw. Gosh, I am really loving this. Beth is doing something really special with blends like this one (and the Shungas, too, for example), that I really envy in her skills!

I'm looking forward to getting more Aphrodite scents!

Sweet, very sweet. The pear, lily ant the grape are probably the culprits for that sweet, candy-like scent it starts off with.

The florals and vanilla begin to show up as it warms up on my skin. I suspect this may be a bit too floral for me till it settles down. IF the sandalwood and vanilla come forward in the drydown, then I may like it more.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is a very sophisticated pear.

As it dries, the pear continues to be a strong player, but the other notes come out as well. This scent is exquisite, beautifully balanced, and very, very happy. "Ally in Love"- perfectly captured.

Edited by Ahania

So far this is on the fast track for me to pick up a bottle. On me the vanilla and heliotrope are warm, and this blend has this delicious caramel/brown sugar overtone that isn't too foodie or overpowering, just slightly ever so slightly on the side of foodie. Combined with the pear/grape for a touch of fruit, I get just the teensy bit of lily.

Lovely. Very close to the skin. Warm and tasty.

Oh yes, I most definitely like this one!

Rose tends to be "single note rose" in any blend on me - it just dominates. So I was a bit surprised that this blend was NOT dominating rose. The rose is a bit softer here, and backed by a girly sweet pear and grape combo. It reminds me a bit of that sweet pear scent Victoria's Secret used to have - called Pear Glace I think? It has a really girly and feminine vibe to it but doesn't go overboard with the floral.

That being said though, if you're not a big fan of floral you probably still aren't going to like this. Subdued as the rose may be, it's still there. It's a nice blend though, not for me for the rose reason, but pleasant!

I`m not a fan of rose at all, but this innocent white rose note is a little winner for me. It stays in the background where the vanilla sweetened by the fruits is on the front. This oil is extremely feminine and it makes me remember of late mornings and early afternoons in a classic house where a white race curtain plays with the wind. It will be loved by Titania and White Rose fans for sure. I feel very pretty wearing it (and I `m grateful for that :lol: )

Rose, vanilla, pear, and something astringently chemical that seems to come and go, sort of a sour, funky smell. Okay...has it gone for good? I'll have to wait this out a bit...the early stages are very off-putting, but if the chemical smell has gone I might really like this.

ETA: Okay, the chemical smell has gone, and it basically smells like rosy, fruity vanilla and caramel...all nice things...but together? It's just too sweet, too off...and I keep thinking, "But it's like Pothon Meter, vanilla instead of spices! Why don't I love this?" And that's exactly it...it reminds me of something I like better, and I SHOULD like it, but something about the combination is just off on my skin. Sigh. Nice, but not for me.

Edited by savage_rose

Wet, this is straight up sweet pear on my skin. What the heck happened to the other notes?!?

Dry, it turns too soapy and perfumey, and unpleasantly reminiscent of a cleanser we use at the hospital. *gag* Very sad about this one.

This is magical!!!!! It's the heady, deep. juicy-yet-sophisticated wine-grape note from Dungeon atmosphere spray (RIP), with pear-sweetened rose and soft vanilla.

I absolutely adore this scent, and will be buying a full-size bottle without a doubt. The rose is particularly magnificent, it is perfectly sweetened by the fruit notes but the scent overall completely avoids becoming sweet or cloying. It's just perfect.

In fact, I'll most likely buy 2 bottles. Just Gorgeous!

I am also quite shocked that this scent hasn't gotten more love. Perhaps not enough of you have tried it yet!!! When I order my bottles I'll pimp out my decant appropriately ; -)

My favorite from the new update, by far! :wub2:

I'm wearing this today, as it was my favorite from testing all my decants on Saturday. It seems like a cross between White Rose & Titania to me. Love, love, love... unfortunately, it seems to be going a little powdery a couple hours after application. I will try it in my scent locket *crosses fingers*

Funny, but I get no rose on my skin. In the bottle it's a bit rosey, and this might sound weird, but it also smells a little like Faith. Stays for a good long time - 4 hrs. on me so far. I like this a lot!

I instantly loved Symmakhia in the bottle. It reminds me of Monster Bait: Underpants in the bottle, which I guess is the creamy, sweet vanilla-sandalwood combo. On my skin, it goes slightly powdery at first and the fruit and floral notes start to peek in around the edges.

After a few minutes, this starts to morph into a warm, sweet vanilla, baby powder, and a dark, soured, almost resinous rose that makes me think of Pulcinella & Teresina. It's very exotic, and darker smelling on me than I thought that it would be. I was afraid of the grape note, but I don't smell any grape and wouldn't say that this is fruity at all in the drydown.

I amp rose, and after fifteen minutes, this is almost all rose. It's interesting how it goes from smelling sweet, light, and powdery to such a rich, dark rose fragrance.

I have a partial bottle of this and that will be enough for me. I actually wish that I didn't amp rose so much, so that the other notes had more of a chance here. It's a gorgeous rose, but I have so many rose scents in my collection already. Actually, the drydown of this smells very similar to Arcana's single note "Black Rose," but I actually prefer the Black Rose single note over Symmakhia.

Origin: decant from eviltemptressdq's circle

Initial Thoughts: I'm not sure about the sandalwood. Rose is hit-or-miss on me. I'm not always successful with grape. But the combination of all these notes just called to me.

In the Vial: Pear, florals, a tickle of sandalwood, all held together by a lovely sweet background that I think is the vanilla.

Wet: Now it's the sandalwood that's predominant, of course. It's my skin after all. The fruit notes are in the background and the rose is trying to pull its green-stem skankiness on me. But the other notes are holding it in check.

Drydown: Darn it, I was afraid of this. The sandalwood is amping something fierce; it's a slightly sweet, slightly fruity, slightly floral...sandalwood.

Verdict: I won't be looking for a bottle, but I might use up the decant in a scent locket.

This is sweet and balanced perfectly between fruity and floral. I like this a LOT more than I thought I would, and I'm really shocked to find it not getting more love.

I love absolutely every note listed up there. I'm expecting big things...

Bottle: Oh...Wow. I really hope this smells half as good on me as it does in the bottle. I can pick up little hints of *every* note from the bottle sniff. That's not too common for me!

Wet: ....I don't want to live in a world where this scent will not be available to me every day for the rest of forever... The pear is juicy and ripe, the vanilla is smooth and subtle, the black lilly is warm, the red sandalwood gives it a little exotic edge, helioptrope for perkiness, white wine grapes for sweetness, and the white rose adds a touch of sophistication

Drydown: I can barely string together a sentence at this point. My mind is just going "BACKUP BOTTLE! NAO! GET ANOTHER BOTTLE!"

Overall: I have a weird relationship with sandalwood - I love it, but it hates me and eats every other note in the oil. Not here. Everything is working together for a romantic, ladylike impression. Very formal but oh I'm so glad I have a bottle. This Ode really needs more shilling on the forum

in vial: wonderful, sweet, fresh, powdery

wet: vanilla, fresh fruit, pear. This is really lovely. Getting more powdery now. A really strong baby powder scent mixed with the notes mentioned previously. This would be perfect if it were not for the baby powder.

dry: This has several geat notes. The vanilla becomes stronger and the powder becomes more faint but I can't deal with the baby powder.

This smells like a soft purple rose...with hints of grape. :eek: My skin chemistry is weird...I do adore this. The vanilla and the rose swirl nicely together and fruit plays gently with them both. It's a weird scent...but I love it...grapey rose....so glad I ordered this on impulse.

Surprise! I LOVE this! Aagh. :heart:

At first sniff I thought "French Triple-Milled Soap," but then my decant blooms into this creamy, soft, and sweet scent. It's kind of "silky" like a white flower petal would feel, and has a very subtle kind of warmth, an illumination.

For me, Symmakhia the impression of every Ode to Aphrodite postcard picture rolled into one.

It's a little bit fruity (pear!) and vanillic, but this is one of those times when the white florals feel genuinely pretty rather than soapy or old-lady...y. I don't feel awkward smelling this on my own skin. It's downright romantic. (I think I may like lilies and white roses...? I need to find what straight up black lilies are like. uagh.)

I want to see how this fares on a full day of wear (I've never been in the mood to wear a floral!), but thus far I changed my mind about my temporarily imposed "no LE bottle purchases" rule. >_> Ha. ha.

Ohh this is so nice. Classic beauty.

Edited by MisterShrapnel

It is so soft, light and gentle that I can barely detect anything, other than a soft musk with hints of rose and pear.

In fact it is so light and disappearing that I have to add more. Unfortuantely though, while I love all the notes in this, pear, rose and white wine grape are just not jiving on my skin. I am going to have to test this again.

So gorgeous..

I put this on this morning while I was getting ready and it was all sweet, ripe, juicy pear with a little vanilla underneath.

So two hours later I've reapplied and I'm getting a heady sandalwoody floral. I can smell the rose and iris as a blend, not really distinct from one another.

This is a very, very beautiful scent. Bottles..bottles for sure.