Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bamboo reed, palm frond, and hibiscus.

MY first impression is that it smells a lot like Lush "avobath" bomb. Really fresh and green, almost citrusy and light. The bamboo is reconisable from Holiday Moon and Tamamo no mae so if you liked those two scents you will LOVE this. I couldn't pin down the palm frond, and the hibiscus is in the background. Edited by Shollin

In the bottle: I really didn't like this because there was a top note that reminded me of over-ripe fruit.

However, I forged ahead and tried it on. I'm so happy that I did!

Once it dries down it is soft and green with just the tiniest hint of tropical floral. This is a perfect warm weather scent!

The first thing that leaps out is the juicy, pulpy bamboo. That watery green smell like in Holiday moon. There is something almost citrusy in the background but it isn't citrus at the same time. A hint of floral sort of wafts around in the background but becomes more pronounced the longer I have it on.

Boo Bam has a tangy, almost over ripe smell to it in the bottle. It is a combo of the bamboo which I recognize from Holiday Moon, almost a dirty ripe smell from the palm fronds and also some sweetness from the crushed(I believe) hibiscus. Is there a muskiness to it also? Maybe that's the palm frond coming through. This gets better the longer you wear it so give it a chance and wear it a while before you review it. :P

In the bottle: overripe bananas (!).

Wet: bamboo, palm, men's aftershave (?)

On drydown this sweetens considerably--the hibiscus leaps to the forefront--and individual notes become much harder to pick out. There's an overripe scent very subtly in the background that actually enhances the scent as a whole.

Smells much better on than in the bottle, that's for sure!

Good throw, average wearlength.

OMG! OMG!!! Tangy, something citrusy (probably the hibiscus), green...I'm speechless, I'm in love! First must-have bottle of the Atomic Luaus!!

ETA: This drove me nuts, what did it smell like--it's Hawaiian Punch!! That scent fades into this lovely mysterious green, but the first impression is overwhelmingly that favorite of us children of the '60s, Hawaiian Punch.

Edited by MeiLin

Very fresh and bamboo, wet and almost-citrus and green. Not much of the hibiscus floral-ness coming through until completely dry, and even then it's barely noticable.

For me, this was very similar to Dragon Moon. Siblings, perhaps? Boo Bam doesn't have the floral top layer that DM does, and while they are distinct at each stage, the two scents have the same bamboo core, to my nose (and chemistry) at least.

Eh.

Imp: Juicy. That's about all I can come up with.

Wet: Still juicy, but getting an aquatic quality.

Dry: Aquatic, definitely. Pretty enough, but I don't really like it.

There is something almost citrusy in the background but it isn't citrus at the same time. A hint of floral sort of wafts around in the background but becomes more pronounced the longer I have it on.

I agree with this totally! It's very fresh and unique. The sharpness of the freshness makes me think of men's cologne, so I agree with the aftershave comment above, too. It's nice and clean.

I'm not likely to wear this again, but fresh/aquatic/citrus lovers should give it a shot.

4.2 out of 5

straight sniff from imp is very remini"scent" of holiday moon :P

loads of bamboo is refreshing and lovely...

once applied this gets lemony and lightly floral...excellent throw,

very refreshing...elegantly done... :D

In the bottle: Fresh, green-planty, citrusy (in an unripe, zesty way) and aquatic. Bamboo and hibiscus.

Wet: Similar, a little soapy. Actually now this reminds me a bit of Ebisu. It's a very green fresh aquatic but has a tropical, asian feel.

Dry: Very 'clean' feeling; a bit cologney from the aquatic notes. Unisex to feminine; my skin is definitely amping the hibiscus. I suspect some white florals too. I'm positive there is some musk in this.

Summary: Arghh this is making my rosacea flare! Damn you aquatics! The florals amp intensely; it becomes strongly feminine white flowers over bamboo and hibiscus. Stays fresh and tropical, but it loses most of the green notes.

I'll have to retry this to see if I love it enough to deal with the itchy face, because it is very lovely.

Edited by fairnymph

In the vial: Fruity and juicy, smelling of mashed up tropical fruits and damp, oozing greenery.

On me: GAH. Astringent. It smells like something I could strip paint with.

Lordy, this is strong on me and I just can't move far away enough from my arm to stop the nasal assault. I think bamboo might be the culprit. I remember this cleaning fluid scent from Neo-Tokyo, but this has way more throw. ...I think it means to do me in. :P

In the Bottle: Palm? It smells of dampness too.

Wet: I'm getting a slight floral note.

Drydown: The floral (the hibiscus) amps and takes over, bludgeoning the other notes into submission. I get a hint of soapiness too, which is unusual. This one is soo not a winner for me.

Disclaimer: I can't wear florals at all, but I keep trying, thinking I'll find one where the floral plays nicely in the background. Maybe someday.

ETA: I scrubbed my wrists 2 hours after I applied this, but the hibiscus is STILL going strong. Will have to try rubbing alcohol, or maybe steel wool. . .

Edited by schackjj

Oh this is so refreshing and clean after all of the Bar scents I tested. Sweet, tangy jungle grasses. If I was a horse I would be after mouthfulls of these Boo Bam grasses. The hibiscus is steamy on top of all of the green. Mmmm I can almost smell the saltiness of the ocean.

Very refreshing, but with a definite sharpness that's almost astringent...I like it, but I wish it smelled a bit less pointy on me.

Oh, Boo Bam. I waited so patiently for you, sure that you would be my summer scent. How could you betray me so?

Wet, in the bottle: It's got a kind of odd, pulpy, ripe green smell, with something kind of sweet underneath. The sweetness isn't exactly floral, it's like the smell of a plant that's very ripe and has been in the sun.

Wet, on my skin: It's still got that pulpy green quality to it and--WHOA! Hey, wait a minute! What the--does this have verbena in it? Lemon of any kind? I smell lemon, lemon, lemon. It's the same smell that makes Whitechapel unwearable on me. What the heck?!

Dry, on my skin: Oh please, please, lemon go away. Pleeeease. Please? Nope, still there. And there it stays for about 1/2 hour or so. Eventually it kinda calms down--it's still there but I can smell the palm now, at least.

Bummer.

The good news is that this should work wonderfully on other people wanting a lovely green scent. It's just my stupid skin chemistry.

This is primarily bamboo on me—nice and pulpy and green and fresh. This doesn't really morph very much and it wears long and strong. The hibiscus does add a touch of lightness and a Hawaiian vibe to it, but for the most part this really reminds me of Holiday Moon and Dragon Moon from the Asian lunacy series. =)

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: Very aquatic on the wand, immediately develops a oh-so slightly spicey kind of floral. Mostly the hibiscus I think.

On the dry down: Sweet kind of floral that is definitely laid over the aquatic notes.

Further in: This one seems to just get sweeter. Sweet in a heavy sweet cream with lots of fresh cold water and floral kind of way, but the sweet cream has gone just a tinybit sour.

Fading out: kept getting sweeter and more floral. Great start, blah finish.

This smells a lot like Holiday Moon to me, which was one of my least favorite lunar blends. The bamboo just never seems to work on me. It smells sharp, green, and citrussy, like unripened oranges and soapy lemons. Sour citrus. Boo Bam is just too sharp for me.

This is such a sharp, biting green. Like a thick stretch of bamboo that has been snapped open. It's so fresh and bright. It leans towards juicy or citrus but it doesn't ever quite get there on my skin. I think it's all the sharpness that makes me think of citrus. Mostly it's just a gorgeous green/plant/natural scent. The hibiscus isn't very noticeable but there is an underlying softness that must be the floral note coming through.

I can't help but use this as a pick me up. It's just enough scent for hot days and it never overwhelms me. I could pile this on and it wouldn't be too much. Love it.

In the vial: Watery with a sharp green note.

On: Not too much different from in the vial, but the greeness is a lot less bitter. Hibiscus comes through sweet and lightens the whole thing. This will be great in the summer!

Verdict: It's great, but very soft. Not much throw and a fast fade.

bottle: hibiscus!

wet: this is a very leafy hibiscus scent, almost like a nice hibiscus green tea scent if you squint...

dry: this dries to a very tangy hibiscus. this is my favourites of the flotsam so far.

Ooo! Fresh & green & zipppy, all juicy bamboo & something green & tannic... There's a trace of soapiness lurking at the edges, making me inclined to mix this into a shower gel or salt scrub... The hibiscus is nothing more than a faint blush, a touch of sweet fruitiness with a tart edge. Lovely!