Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
portalkat

Purple Phoenix

PURPLE PHOENIX

Porphyrogenitus, indeed; we worked[/i] for it! Not simply the color of royalty, purple is also the color of sorrow and mourning, reconciliation and forgiveness. A regal, majestic, and somber blend of myrrh, plum blossom, African violet, cognac, fig, orris, lilac, wisteria, black plum, and Burgundy wine grapes.

Purple Phoenix is a deep fruity violet. Often, violet perfumes tend to be sweet and cloying. In this blend, it is earthier because of the resin, the fig and the orris. The cognac keeps the fruits deep and heady. This is a very beautiful and sophisticated blend and very reminiscent of Queen of Spades.

Purple Phoenix is a gorgeous floral with just a hint of purple grapes beneath it. It's sophisticated, regal, and classy. I am of an age where I'm about as confident and secure as I'm going to get. Sometimes I want a scent that's all woman, but isn't in-your-face sexual. Purple Phoenix suits me to a T. I could wear this on any occasion and it would be perfectly appropriate.

In the bottle PP is surprisingly all candy fruit, plum blossom and violet, giving no hint to how it will smell on my skin. Once on, the myrrh and orris emerge, combining with the florals and giving them depth and resonance. My skin amps anything floral like WHOA, but in combination with the other notes, the wisteria and violet behave themselves. This is definitely an assertive floral scent, though. It has a medium throw, no slathering required, and I'm a slatherer with other florals.

The drydown is just gorgeous. Each individual note emerges for a while, most notably the grapes, which I adore. It lasted a good ten hours on me, and at the end of that time I was still pressing my nose to my wrist for a hint of grape and violet.

Purple Phoenix is like a scent rendition of Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman."

"Now you understand

Just why my head's not bowed.

I don't shout or jump about

Or have to talk real loud.

When you see me passing

It ought to make you proud."

It does. :P

straight sniff from the bottle is gorgeous...purple grapes, very ripe, sweet...very

wine like :P

once applied the violets come forefront in a tremendous way...this is a strong

and floral fragrance...very womanly...while i like it very much, i can only imagine

that aging this would make it mellow and become much less sharp...which is just what i intend to do with this lovely :D

in the bottle: yummilicious grape,hint of violet but not strong

wet:sweet, orris, plum, hint of floral

as it dries it is less grape, more floral, a soft, very "purple" floral with a hint of something deeper, a bit sinister which i am assuming is the myrrh. this is not a sharp floral on me, and often florals do go sharpish w/ my chemistry. instead this is soft, sweet and utterly femenine. a floral i will definitely wear

This is definitely the most purple scent I have ever experienced. It's lush and gorgeous and heady. The only note I was concerned about was the wisteria, which doesn't often agree with my chemistry - and luckily for me I can just barely smell it when this is in the bottle and wet on my skin. As Purple Phoenix blooms, it becomes gorgeous candied violets, plums and resins. I am entirely smitten with this scent and I think it is only going to get more beautiful as it ages.

I'm a purple person, and love purple fruity fragrances. When I read the description for this, I thought at first of Blood Countess, though the grapes made me wonder if it might be a bit like Horreur Sympathique.

Purple Phoenix is purple indeed, and not overwhelmingly grape at all. In fact I'd say it's somewhere between Blood Countess and Medea, much as Queen of Spades was, though it has its own personality. It is purple shot through with streaks of gold and a bit of effervescence.

I adore purple flowers but they are horribly powdery on me normally -- in the past only Blood Countess was able to redeem them, with healthy helpings of juicy plum. It is again the hero in this blend! No powdery florals here at all. Just a strong, regal crush of berries lightened by a floral aura and gilded with the glistening sparkle of wine and resinous myrrh.

I'd agree that this is a cousin of Queen of Spades and combines some of my favorite things: dark fruits, resin and purple flowers, while combatting their powdery qualities by steeping them in deep wine. Other than the fact that it fades quickly I'd have to immediately say this is a dream scent for me.

purplephoenix.jpg

I tried Queen of Spades and lost. I was very sad because my tarot card has been the QoS from the very beginning. However, Purple Phoenix is the Queen Who Works on Me. Thanks to Portalkat, Sarada for bringing that up! Somehow Purple Phoenix is a sparkling version where the Spade Queen was earthy. I love this one.

I can't really say I think "purple" when I smell it, I do think "natural, violet, intellect, wisdom". I feel ebulliently profound when I wear it, as the Queen of Spades should be. (Forget all that "woman of loss and sorrow who passively aggressively takes it out on everyone else, especially the poor old King of Swords"). Mattie hit the nail on the head with the Maya Angelou poem.

Purple Phoenix isluscious, and it's a great capsule of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab because it could not have been made by any other perfumer. I'm a bit tongue tied here. It is just wonderful. *sigh*

sqns.gif

Wet in the bottle my first thought was GRAPE! I think that's as much because I was expecting it to be. It's very purple - great representation of a beautiful color.

On drydown, it's a very rich, full vibrant floral with a tang to it (cognac?) and also an underlying sweetness. It's beautiful and deep - and is lasting. A small bit goes a long way on me. I will use this one often, methinks.

In the bottle: sugar SUGAR!

Wet: Candy sweet and violets, but not in a cloying way and a little of the wine tone slips in as well

Drydown: This is one for all the resin lovers like me! If you loved All Souls and Midnight Mass, but wanted something a little more...this is it!

This is the 1st BPAL that turned my Mom's head and it looks like I'll have to ordered another bottle quick before they go away, so I can keep mine!! (erm, or give her mine and *sigh* wait til the second bottle shows up).

ACES Beth! You won over a woman in her 60s, who was very distainful of BPAL til now!

In the bottle: A very odd plastic-y grape scent.

Wet: Nothing like the bottle sniff at all. Mostly purple flowers with a bit of juiciness behind it. At first I didn't look at the notes, and I thought it was freesia or maybe a combination of violet and something else. I think what I was smelling was violet and wisteria.

Dry: Well, I've worn this twice now on two different areas, and I got two results. When I wore it on the inside of my elbow, I got a floral scent with strongly grape overtones. When I wore it on the back of my hand, I got a rather hazy (the myrrh comes through) semi-floral with what seemed to be a dark fruit underneath. I wouldn't necessarily have pegged that fruit scent as grape. Rather like a juicy and more complex version of Blood Countess. Very nice.

I like them both, but I prefer the back-of-the-hand version of the scent. Wonder how I can get it to always behave that way. Hmmm....

In bottle: grape cough syrup

On skin: quick blast of floral, then lots of grapey winey goodness. Not just sweet fruit, but my favorite boozy undertone (like Bordello, Madrid, Red Queen, etc.)

Half-hour later: stronger dustier florals come out -- myrrh smells "dusty" to me, and I can pick out the powdery lilac. If I sniff real close I get the dark grapes, but the diffused cloud around me are these pretty florals with an alcoholic tinge

In conclusion: I was a bit nervous about the proliferation of florals, but I should know by now that it's going to be so well-blended that I shouldn't worry. Another interesting boozy blend! :P

Yes, this is purple. It's the perfect balance of fruit and flowers and booze. Most noticable at first application were the wine grapes and the violet. Now it's turning plummy and figgy and there's a touch of cognac.

This isn't overly heady like I was afraid it would be. It is quite sweet, though, and a little more floral than I usually would wear. But I think I'll hold onto it because some days, you just need to be purple.

this is an intriguing scent - but something's a bit off with my chemistry here...there's something almost too light, sweet and powdery about it - and i want more of the deep purple grapiness, beneath it. i'm curious as to what note is giving me difficulty - orris and violet are usually not a problem? could it be wisteria? i hope not, 'caue it's one of my favorite plants. anyway, as the scent dries down, it does get a little more fruity/plummy/figgy - and it's nice - but there's something old-ladyish too, and at the same time - baby cologne too. hmm. i haven't written this one off yet, but i gotta try it some more, and see if it grows on me.

PURPLE PHOENIX

In Bottle: Grapes and violets

On Skin: I have dying to try this scent. From the description and fact that it is PURPLE Phoenix, I figured it would become my signature scent. Purple is my favorite color… I almost always have purple hair and purple everything… I ordered 3 bottles right away. I’ve been wearing it throughout the day giving it a much more detailed review than normal. First off, the scent is the definition of purple, it screams violets and grapes… two very purple things. It’s also a very mellow scent, not sharp or strong. It smells like purple velvet feels. While it is regal, it’s the kind hearted mothering queen, not the bitter tyrant. To me this is like the sweet version of Queen of Spades… Queen of Spades is much more in your face and demanding. I think I would wear this when I was feeling happy and content and wear Queen of Spades when I’m going somewhere I want to stand out or feel confident. As for the other notes, they’re just supporting players in this court. The myrrh is soft and adds to the velvet feel. The plum blossom is innocent and compliments the violets perfectly as does the lilac and wisteria. The other notes tame them and keep them from being too floral. The plum, fig and cognac add a beautiful fruity/boozy darker purple depth and add another chapter to this scent. I love this scent, it is freaking gorgeous. I do wish the throw and wearlength were stronger and longer though. The throw is light to moderate and I do have to reapply this scent about 4 times throughout the day to keep it at the potency I like. I’m going to make a lotion and spray with one of the bottles I purchased so at least I can layer and get better throw.

Purple. Purplepurplepurple.

Seriously. This is what purple *smells* like. Purple fruit, purple flowers, purple liquor...I don't know how she does it, Beth has done it again...

This smells beautiful! It's a light, grape and plum fruit scent with a subtle violet undertone. Undeniably a purple scent! This reminds me of something strange; the smell of the blue Strawberry Shortcake character from back in the day when the little figurines came scented. I don't remember what her name was, but this was totally her signature scent! :D I have been so happy with all of the Phoenix scents the lab has put out, but I like this one even more than Pink or Red Phoenix. Just lovely! Plum lovers, here ya go! :P

OMG this smells so fucking good. Sorry for the explective but it's true. You smell this and think *PURPLE!!!!*

Sugared wine and irises followed by a drydown of sensual violets in mourning.

The throw on Purple Phoenix is nice, not killing anyone but it's there.

Masterpiece, Beth. Masterpiece.

From the bottle I get, more or less, the same sweet, creamy floral that I found in The Living Flame-with the addition of a very light hint of myrrh.

Once applied the grapes start to emerge but they're subtle. Still getting that floral more than anything. Like most florals, it tickles my nose and has that light, airy perfumy thing going on. Not getting any fig, which is unusual, I tend to amp that one in the loveliest of ways. The grapes are trying hard to turn into that beautiful, nag champa-ish scent that I love about Beth's grape/wine notes, but aren't quite getting there.

This is kinda Urd ultralight. With flowers.

It goes from fading into nothing to back again. Every time it reappears the florals are weaker. A good thing.

Purple Phoenix - I was sooo hoping Beth would release a purple phoenix this year because I’ve been enamored by the color purple for about 30 years now and I love purple flowers – lilacs, wisteria, violets…you name it. I adore this scent! It’s going to have a place of honor in my BPAL box right next to it’s older sister, Pink Phoenix. The very first aspect I notice of Purple Phoenix is that it has a touch of sweet candy, like a grape Jolly Rancher. Immediately beneath the candy-sweet grape scent is the most amazing combination of so many of my favorite scents – plum, violet, cognac, fig, lilac, wisteria, and myrrh. Gah…this is just incredible!!! It’s candy-sweet, and fruity-floral, and has me swooning in ecstasy because it’s just so absolutely perfect. The uber-sweet hard-candied grape scent fades upon drydown, but that’s when the myrrh begins to really play its card and start to weave a husky, powdery ribbon through the purple notes in this blend. It’s also around this time that the violet and cognac step forward and take center-stage. It’s truly phenomenal. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last worth a hill of beans on my skin. I’m hoping that if I apply unscented lotion (or lotion scented with Purple Phoenix) first that it’ll increase the amount of time I can wear the blend without reapplying. The throw is heavy initially, but upon drydown it becomes fairly subtle. It’s going to be very difficult not to horde Purple Phoenix. Despite having to reapply regularly, I’m very happy with it. Yay for Purple Phoenix!!!

In the bottle, it wafts up a little like candy, a touch like chewing on a candied violet off of a piece of fancy white cake. There's a touch of wet, gooshy fruit, definitely plum. Juicy. Dab... On me, egads, it's floral! Oh, wait... this reminds me of that nice floral in Morgause. Given a little time, it's definitely very well blended, and though I can pick out a few notes, it shifts and moves. I'd say the drydown is definitely floral, maybe to the point where I can't really pull this one off, but of course I love all things violet. I got a few (a few!) of these, since purple/violet is among my favorite colors, and I may be biased but this does smell violet, maybe like some kind of night flower that is a striking, unnatural cobalt blue.

oh this stuff is good.

in the bottle it smells like.......well a really nice grape cough syrup. on me it still smells a little cough syrupy, but it dries a little and i get the grape/plum and fig. a little later i can smell a little violet, because that is very 'green' to me. about 30+ minutes after it dries down the myrrh comes out and its a lovely, dusty purple scent. it's only on my wrist and i can't imagine what it'd be on me regularly.

my mom said it was a light scent, and i agree. so i'll have to slather it.

This is a difficult one to describe. I get the grape cough syrup smell at first too, though it stops short of being a turn-off; in a weird kind of way, I almost like that it smells like cough syrup. Which surprises me. Anyway, as time passes, other notes start popping up. I couldn't identify any of them for sure, but I think I can identify the fig, because there's something in there that reminds me of Hanging Gardens. I get little whiffs of random florals here and there as well.

This had great throw and lasting power on me. I put some on yesterday morning and could still smell it in the evening.

In short, while this scent isn't exactly "me", something draws me to it. It fascinates me, and seems to love my skin chemistry quite a bit.

Purple Phoenix needs a little time to get past "the awkward stage". After the Guyana Kool Aide of Doom and the Sad BPAL Floral (think Ephemera, Ode on Melancholy, White Moon) it settles down to a sweet fruity resin perfume. I think this one will get better with age, but it is interesting and unusual now.

This really does smell purple. It's definitely a fruity floral on me, but the resins give it depth and make it unique. It's very grapey, but I can't pick out many other individual notes. Another winner! :P

purplephoenix.jpg

Bottle: Incredibly grapey topnote, some other things are going on underneath, but the grape is definitely the strongest note here.

Wet : This is still strong grape, but I'm getting something a little darker and deeper...plum and myrrh, maybe?

Sadly, on my elbow wet, this smells like horse barn. I have very strange body chem, changing on diff parts of my body, so apparently my elbow crook doesn't like the purple phoenix....Luckily this only happens during the wet phase!

Dry: The strong sweet grape is recedes a bit to expose some florals...if i had to pinpoint them I'm choose violet and wisteria. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge floral person, and I'm hard to please on grapes (montressor has been the only winey/grapey blend that I've liked so far). I was hoping for more of the cognac/fig/orris/myrrh components. The late dry down is quite winey, but I don't need this when I've got Montressor.

Overall: A very pretty blend, and undeniably purple, but this one just isn't for me. I shall have to find it a home!

ETA: I tried this again, and that horse barn smell I got before was even more evident this time round, for longer, and regardless of application location. Apparently my skin doesn't like the purple pheonix... Though it still dried down to wine, it just isn't something I'll wear.

Edited by jewelbug