Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
sirensongsouth

Entropy

A measure of randomness and chaos; the perfect distillate of decay, death, and dissolution. Blood red patchouli saturated with black poppy, civet and a hint of rose.

In the imp's ear: this smelled gingery spicy with an herbal or earthy kick.

Wet: I smell the rose and poppy strongly, but the patchouli kicks in pretty quickly.

Dry: This is a really unusual scent. When I initially sniff my wrist there is something in it that makes me nervous. That kind of heart beating quickly nervous when you are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff you have to do or when you need to make order from pure chaos.

From a distance the civet seems to be really strong, beyond strong, I keep wondering if I forgot my deodarant today. This is weird in that usually civet is just a slightly stronger musk smell on me. I don't know if its just because its my time of month (sorry if TMI), or if this civet is just strong enough to beat me upside my head with! Up close when I sniff my wrist the poppy is stronger than the rose with the patchouli acting as a base.

I don't understand why I am not in love with this. I love each of its elements, and usually they work quite well with my chemistry. I love the name, in fact Mr. Sirensong's pet name for me is Entropy, because his life was well ordered until I entered the picture, and now everywhere I go and everything I do seems to entail a legacy of chaos (although that might also have something to do with my 3 y.o. kid!)

Overall, I still love the rose/poppy/patchouli combo, but the civet is making me a little reticent to leave the house with this scent on. I am actually going to rub a washcloth over my wrist to try to tone it down before I go out. I am going to have to try this again later in the month and see if it still has that dirty sweaty thing to it or if it was just my chemistry right now. This is different and if you can wear civet, try an imp's ear of this, it could be quite haunting, or it could be just sorta dirty.

Entropy went on me as distinctly patchouli, but the civet did the most amazing thing - it combined with the other notes to smell like - I don't know how else to explain it - intoxication. If you've ever been around someone the morning after a serious binge-drinking session and before they shower, you know that metallic, grain alcohol smell that seems to come out of their pores; it's not bad, it's just distinct and not-quite sour. This was that smell, about 20 minutes before passing out the night before - boozy, stumbling, falling down drunk. My head was swimming, in fact, and I was at a loss every time I sniffed this for the first five minutes.

After that, if pulled back, although it was still there if I got really close to my wrist and sniffed, and there was much more of the poppy-seed husk smell and fuzzy poppy texture, with the faintest rose note under it all.

For me, the imp is all I'll need, but I think I'll use it up. This is disorienting, and yet almost clarifying, and it's an interesting and surprising scent overall.

It was perfect for my mood today, actually. I'd been pretty well confused and pissy in general, and I went through what's usually a day-long period of this mood in the first ten minutes of wearing Entropy, then I was fine. Seemed to accelerate, and thus alleviate, the chaos in my head.

Edited by jj_j

I never thought I'd say this about a scent, but this smells positively *EVIL*. Not in an, "I'm going to kill you" sort of way, but in a deceptive, plotting, underhanded sort of way. To illustrate to you just how strong this feeling was, let me just say that I was trying a ton of imps that had arrived earlier that day, was duly ecstatic, tried Entropy, and my good mood died almost immediately. It was shocking. But it was intriguing.

I'd never smelled anything like this, so I can't really tell you what notes stood out on me. To be honest, I couldn't even detect the individual notes -- it was all completely and totally uniform. I'd only smelled uniformity like this before in single notes.

Overall, though, I thought it was very unique, and quite nice once you get used to it. I'm going to get a big bottle of this and wear it when I feel like intimidating people :P

entropy:

:D the blend has solid earth to it and castes a strong dose of patchouli,

with a friendly Rose waiting for a friend to lift her veil.

i'm not friends with any Rose :D or Musk :D notes. :D

With out the Rose, this would be one of my favorites. :P

Edited by stitch of bloodh

this was extremely heavy patchouli on me. that is all. no rose, no civet, no poppy. smelling this on myself simply reaffirms how much I dislike patchouli. can I venture and say I hate patchouli. :P

naturally this has excellent lasting power.

First on, the patchouli positively jumps out with a juicy tang, but very quickly becomes spicy-dry, with anise-like overtones. There is a sweetness there too, and I can smell that poppy and rose there, but the rose is unlike any other BPAL rose. The sweet/floral combination here is a bit like old, 'overripe' carnations.

Strangely, it reminds me of a trip to the Jorvik centre in York which recreates Viking York, where different smells are pumped out to enhance the experience. I think that's the civet doing that, a dark, musky scent but sweet and warm at the same time. I wish I could get rid of this association.

Not for me, though I do actually very much love patchouli and rose, and like poppy. It's a bit too much like the 'decay' promised in the description on me.

I'll try it again in two week's time, to see if there's any difference.

Edited by Alice Aforethought

A knock down all out brawl of patchouli and civet on me. You don't want Patchuoli and civet to brawl on your skin. The end result is something more like...er..stale and unclean bathrooms than anything pleasant. This is one of the few scents I literally just couldn't take and had to scrub off with dish soap. A nice try but the sinister overpowering and decidedly sort of unclean smell really bothered me. It seems to have worked a little better for others so off to swaps.

Entropy

Initial Impression

Smells heavily earthy. The red patchouli is a lot more fierce and in your face than black patchouli is (which reminds me of gritty dirt). And the civet lends it a very animalistic scent. The rose and poppy are the last scents I notice when I smell this...

Wearing It

Well, honestly, I don't have any issues with civet or patchouli, so this was almost a promising blend. On the other hand, my skin just loves rose -- so much that all I can smell when I put this on is rose, rose, rose. It smells just like Zombi to me, probably because the rose in Zombi did the exact same thing.

Oh well. I could see how on the right person this would be a more charged version of Zombi...smelling of roses and heavy, venomous earth. On me, I'm smothered by roses. Ah well....

In the bottle and when I first put it on, I'm primarily smelling patchouli and rose.

As it dries, the scent darkens. If I sniff my wrist it smells nice, but the civet leaves an afterscent--almost like an aftertaste, at the back of my throat.

This blend may well be the perfect distillate of decay, death, and damnation--but it really isn't my style.

I really wish I'd discovered this before it was discontinued. It's musky and spicy and perfect. It smells like exotic imported fabrics, still heavily scented from their country of origin. I have trouble picking out notes in this, but on looking at what's in it I can kind of see how they blended to make up this oil. Fortunately, the rose doesn't bother me at all like it usually does.

wow this one is chaotic, mostly musky and a hint of patchouli i get no rose, this makes me feel twitchy

In bottle: Gotta love that crazy good decay scent. Patchouli, poppy, and civet. The rose sweetens the fragrance, but it is mostly dank and dark, like the underside of a rotting log in a foggy, damp forest.

On me: Rose fades and vanishes; the scent dries but remains the scent of soggy rotting wood. Deeply earthy, this is a strong soil packed with nutrients and bits of bone. The civet grows stronger and stronger and has overpowered the patchouli, and the poppy has retreated to the background with the rose.

It's definately related to Zombi. Also, it shares a little bit of feel with Anne Bonny. (Though I like Anne Bonny a lot better). The patchouli is very earthy, for sure, and the civet is not gross and pee-like but it is really heavy. It's a very grounded scent, like digging your toes into moist dirt plus roses.

On me, Entropy is sort of clean. It's sort of like smelling clean air. In this world of cars and smog, what we breathe is polluted air, so clean air has a bit of a distinct smell, a smell of nothingness. It's sort of funny that Entropy smells like nothingness to me. After absorbing that smell, I can sense something dirty smelling underneath. I think it's the patchouli that becomes that nothing smell, with the civet (yeah, if I think about it, it's a bit pee-like--civet always manages to smell like pee to me--but not as pee-like as civet in other scents) becoming the dirty.

Bottle (Imp): This is a very unique scent, and I have no idea what it is.

Just On: It's smooth and something else, but I can't really find the words.

An hour or two later: I'm not sure what this is, but it's quite nice.

Around 6 hours: Quite faded, but same scent.

12 hours: It's almost gone, but I can still smell whatever it is that I've been smelling, and can't identify.

Overall: I really like this. I must check out what it has, and see if I can figure out what this scents is, and get other oils with it.

After reading other reviews: Wow! A rose scent I can wear. It must be the hint that's the key. And apparently my skin adores blood red patchouli, so I may have to watch for more of that as well. I'm sad this is discontinued, but I won't die or anything over it.

I love this one. It's heartbreaking to me to think that once my imp is used up, this is gone.

Entropy combines two of my favorite notes - patchouli and civet :D. On me this is mostly earthy/spicy patchouli, but with something sweet and heady lingering in the background. The notes combine underneath the patchouli to make this a more well rounded fragrance. Patchouli, but better than that.

After about five hours or so, this is rather faint and the rose has come out more. It is a sweet, spicy rose. The most perfect mix of rose and patchouli.

I would buy a bottle of this one if I could :P

Entropy

received in a swap

in vial: patchouli, civet, and rose

wet: mostly patchouli and civet...not a pleasant scent

dry: this is definitely a dirty scent (but not nice earthy dirt like Zombi)...I feel kind of stinky wearing this and it seems to be bringing on a headache...lasts forever (I could still smell it over 12 hours later when I was finally able to scrub off the last of it...or cover it up with something else!)

verdict: not for me...off to swaps!

at first: i was able to win this from the lab on ebay. wow. i'm really getting tons of poppy with a bit of patchouli. very dark.

on: wow. very strong patchouli and poppy.

half an hour later: 90% patchouli. lovely.

1.5 hours later: so dark. i think i'm getting a glimmer of rose, but barely. it's just impossibly dark.

3 hours later: poppy and rose.

overall: this is very dark and just slightly unpleasant. i like it, though, and am glad i have a bottle.

i got this as an extra in a swap. i've never tried civet and am not a big fan of patchouli. needless to say, entropy doesn't like me. it smelled like roses and bad breath, which i assume is the civet, but can't be sure. i'd never smelled anything else like it though, so i am pretty sure it's the civet. it was one i had to scrub off my arm. :P

Interesting -- this is lighter and sweeter than I thought it would be from the description. I think my skin must be amping the rose and poppy, though the heavier notes are balancing them nicely. The civet's not really prominent at all; it's just sort of an earthy floral, a bit like Burial, but muskier.

Even after settling in for a while, it's not too civetty. The florals do fade a little over time, but it's more the patchouli that becomes prominent than the civet. It's not unpleasant, but also not something I really need to keep when I already have Burial.

Grade: B-

Entropy - I don't care for this scent when I first apply it. It's too dark and smells like a headshop, although it is soft and subtle. However, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours after I apply it, I start to notice that as I go about my daily business, I keep catching the very faintest wafts of patchouli. This is a note I don't usually like, but in this blend, it's absolutely gorgeous. The rose note is not evident at all, and as usual, it's a civet blend that I really like. The opium mixes with the patchouli to give it a subtle sweetness. I like this fragrance. I'm surprised how much I like it after my initial reaction to it, but in the end, it works really well on me. It does mostly stay close to my skin, but I catch the occasional waft of the fragrance, and it lasts much longer than most BPALs do on me. Also, while I was testing it today, I inadvertently layered it with Smut, and they layer really, really well together!

Oh god, the civet + rose combination is not working for me. The civet smells like cat pee, esp. on wet and as it dries I get more of the rose, but because of the patchouli it smells like a dirty, peed upon rose.

UGH.

Because this shares notes in common with Pulse Points (civet and black poppy), it doesn't surprise me that this smelled...well, a lot like Pulse Points. In the imp, in fact, the scent was very similar. On my skin, though, it dried to a faintly bog-like and sour variant on PP. This is a very strange scent, and while all of the notes individually work for me, together they're somewhat chaotic. It's very reminiscent of entropy itself, really, so in that sense it's perfect!

I received this decant as a freebie in a swap. I never heard of it, and I almost didn't want to try it on because I had one bad experience with civet. Being a patchouli lover, I had to put it on. It smells like Christian Dior Opium without alcohol in the decant, and this translates to my skin while it's wet. I love heady scents like this, so it has real promise. As it dries, it goes through a stage where I'm afraid it's going sour which must have been the civet, but several seconds later it develops a heavy sweet patchouli that's quite irresistible! It does have a tiny bit of rose (this is what I hoped Vamp.Goth would smell like!), but it doesn't distract my nose away from the patchouli and black poppy.

I really like this, but being that it's discontinued and not very popular, I can't see myself finding a bottle anytime soon.

I got to try this one thanks to a lovely and extremely generous friend of mine. :wub2:

I've wanted to try this for about 6 years now, and I never had the chance. Well, I'm probably happier to find out that it's not a winner on me than I would have been if it had been true love (because the chances of ever getting any more are slim to none).

This is one of the least civety of the BPAL blends that have civet in them. At this point, I can't smell any rose in it, but I can definitely smell the patchouli, and it's "perfumey" (which is how I usually describe poppy).

It's a fine scent, but I think I grew out of my civet phase. For someone who likes BPAL's civet note (that the Lab doesn't seem to put in much of anything anymore), def try to find some of this.